Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I've pulled the trigger on the Grais one, mainly because the Cali Herc was about 2.5x time the price, which was okay by me to pay but since I prefer the overall military look of the Grais + cargo pockets w/ handwarmers, I went for it and took the gamble. Total cost is 130€, shipping included!
Hopefully this won't be a disappointment! Thanks for your help @handymike and @tmitchell59 ! I will post pics as soon as I get it!
Good for you! I think this Grais is a good one.

AHP91

Practically Family
More of a question about eBay and USPS - I bought a jacket off a seller and I guess a Japanese collector offered him a lot of money for it after I bought it. He’s been begging for me to return it.

It’s currently in transit near me and I already placed an intercept on it to be help at my local USPS (due to some previous delivery mishaps). Due for delivery tomorrow. Is there any chance this guy gets this package to be redirected? Lol?

More of a question about eBay and USPS - I bought a jacket off a seller and I guess a Japanese collector offered him a lot of money for it after I bought it. He’s been begging for me to return it.

It’s currently in transit near me and I already placed an intercept on it to be help at my local USPS (due to some previous delivery mishaps). Due for delivery tomorrow. Is there any chance this guy gets this package to be redirected? Lol?

Return it…for 20% of the Japanese sale price.

Is this the red label Cal?

AHP91

Practically Family
Return it…for 20% of the Japanese sale price.

Is this the red label Cal?

Yes, guess someone overseas offered a lot for it and word got out. Might be too concerned about it but you never know what someone will do to reverse the shipment

Yes, guess someone overseas offered a lot for it and word got out. Might be too concerned about it but you never know what someone will do to reverse the shipment

I believe seller can pay a fee to reverse the shipment. That’s what I thought an intercept was. Greedy and dick move if you ask me. Too many people have no code or honor.

How did you “intercept” a package you didn’t send? Lol. Genius.

AHP91

Practically Family
I believe seller can pay a fee to reverse the shipment. That’s what I thought an intercept was. Greedy and dick move if you ask me. Too many people have no code or honor.

How did you “intercept” a package you didn’t send? Lol. Genius.

Apparently as long as you have enough info (tracking number, address package is being sent to), you’re able to intercept a package. Although if you aren’t the sender or recipient it’s a crime. Since I had already placed this intercept, it looks like another one can’t be placed (online at least). Well, fingers crossed I guess

Apparently as long as you have enough info (tracking number, address package is being sent to), you’re able to intercept a package. Although if you aren’t the sender or recipient it’s a crime. Since I had already placed this intercept, it looks like another one can’t be placed (online at least). Well, fingers crossed I guess

Well there you go. Learned something this AM. I thought only sender could intercept but then that makes no sense if you think on it.

Squirrel_hero

Familiar Face

Let me know if you get the jacket! F*ck that eBay seller! You should report them! A deal is a deal. ESPECIALLY after they f*cking shipped it.

Keep us posted send a pic of the jacket when you get it and to really F that seller over and piss him off relist it for double the price..

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Seems like there has been an up tic in vintage jacket over vintages styled new jackets lately. Almost all of my vintage purchases have had such a strong musty odor that it has been difficult to get rid of it fully And for me, any smell makes them unwearable. What percentage of the time are you guys having this issue? Any expert solutions?

All used that come from the UK have been like this to some extent. Most have been cleared easily, but 2 did need washing to clear it out. Others from Europe and US have mostly been fine.

hieu

A-List Customer
Seems like there has been an up tic in vintage jacket over vintages styled new jackets lately. Almost all of my vintage purchases have had such a strong musty odor that it has been difficult to get rid of it fully And for me, any smell makes them unwearable. What percentage of the time are you guys having this issue? Any expert solutions?
No expert solution but the my best results have been achieved with vinegar and sunlight. I tried vacuum sealing but that didn't really work too well. Also changing the liner helps a lot.

BClayton

New in Town
IMG_6342.png

Can anyone Identify this jacket??

Poltung

New in Town
Maybe this has been answered before but I couldn't find the answers after exploring several threads:

How would you compare a vintage leather brand like California Sportswear or Durable to today's brands?
Mid-rangers like Aero Leathers, SB, Cockpit USA or Schott (Perfecto label) or higher end like Thedi, Field Leathers, Japanese brands like RMC, RC or FW?

For example, which one would you say wins if we were to compare an Aero Hercules with CXFQHH (their flagship leather) and quilted lining to a Hercules flagship heavy FQHH with quilted lining made by Cali? Which one would be in better shape after say, 20-30 years of hard wear?

I'm only talking about construction, durability, usability and leather used, and not the accuracy of repros. Of course each batch of leather is different and each jacket has its own characteristics since it is a handcrafted good, but I mean generally, broadly speaking.

Last edited:

Drive

New in Town
I brought a leather Belstaff jacket at their London sample sale, when I first picked it up I thought it was suede but it’s not it has a soft coating over the leather
the coating has come away/off the bottom of the pockets.
what would be the best way of removing the ’coating’ without damaging the leather?

Attachments

• IMG_5505.jpeg
    IMG_5505.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5507.jpeg
    IMG_5507.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 51
I brought a leather Belstaff jacket at their London sample sale, when I first picked it up I thought it was suede but it’s not it has a soft coating over the leather
the coating has come away/off the bottom of the pockets.
what would be the best way of removing the ’coating’ without damaging the leather?

It's not suede, it's naked leather without finish that's been very lightly sanded. This leather can be smoothed/buffed to an extent by rubbing, which is what appears to have happened here, possibly by the sleeve as you were reaching inside the pocket. You can see that it is equally smoothed out on every fold on edge. It's a lovely characteristic of this particular type of leather that I personally enjoy seeing but other than taking up a sand-paper to it, there isn't much you can do about it.

Zoo

One of the Regulars
Not outerwear related; but is there a thread for pointing out functional problems with the forum?

AHP91

Practically Family
What's the best bang for your buck police style belt that I can get off eBay or elsewhere? Prefer the basket weave type - I see some West Coast Bianchi belts that look pretty cool. Any input helps, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points