Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Walker

Practically Family
I would love to see full pics of the jacket (with wear pics if you have them)! (and further of the issue) please
Of course! One of the lapels are full of pin-holes and marks of badges. I hate these issues, don't understand why to damage jackets with pin badges.

IMG_20210207_125753.jpg

IMG_20210207_130109.jpg

1635414379669.jpg

sunset

New in Town
Of course! One of the lapels are full of pin-holes and marks of badges. I hate these issues, don't understand why to damage jackets with pin badges.
That is a great looking jacket.

Don't cut the leather. If the lapel space is accessible, not isolated by a seam, separate a very small length of liner from the shell at an inside spot to remove from the back. Hold on to the stem and pull it with long reach or needle nose pliers, then sew up. Or drop by a leather repair shop and see if they can do it.

I'm lazy and would probably just snip the stem off the pin back and let the disc float around in there.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
My padded Al's has lodged the spike of a former pin badge in the lapel. The jacket came to me like that, in the auction it was already without ornaments, but this spike bothers me a lot, especially when I wear the neck up, 'cause if I'm not careful, I prick myself with it. Since almost the first day I have tried to remove it with pliers and stretching, but from what I understand, there must be a wider part inside that doesn't come out. So, I've tried pushing it in, but that supposed wide part must be trapped so that if I don't break the leather, it won't come out.

Any ideas? Has anyone battled with lodged pins like this? Thank you!

View attachment 574407

there must still be an access point somewhere, look for the small patched seam in the lining, open that up again and access to get the anchor pin out. Could have been accessed from one of the pocket bags. That’s how I got the metal buttons off my surcoat from the inside.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
That is a great looking jacket.

Don't cut the leather. If the lapel space is accessible, not isolated by a seam, separate a very small length of liner from the shell at an inside spot to remove from the back. Hold on to the stem and pull it with long reach or needle nose pliers, then sew up. Or drop by a leather repair shop and see if they can do it.

I'm lazy and would probably just snip the stem off the pin back and let the disc float around in there.
I'd snip it off, too. My Cal came with a multitude of pin holes as well. I live with them, they are part of the jacket's history.

Leather Walker

Practically Family
Thank you all! It's a kind of 42ish, feel nice on shoulders but a bit roomy on chest when it's zipped. Perfect of layering.

I won't do nothing with pin-holes and marks, as Will says, they are part of the jacket story, but I'm worried about that spike 'cause it pokes the leather when lapels are over the chest.

My thoughts were to put a tear of hot glue on the spike tip to avoid the puncture, but being honest, I'd like to remove it. I'll try to push it out through the visible side of the lapel. It should be the way when that pin was set the 1st time.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
My padded Al's has lodged the spike of a former pin badge in the lapel. The jacket came to me like that, in the auction it was already without ornaments, but this spike bothers me a lot, especially when I wear the neck up, 'cause if I'm not careful, I prick myself with it. Since almost the first day I have tried to remove it with pliers and stretching, but from what I understand, there must be a wider part inside that doesn't come out. So, I've tried pushing it in, but that supposed wide part must be trapped so that if I don't break the leather, it won't come out.

Any ideas? Has anyone battled with lodged pins like this? Thank you!

View attachment 574407
Friend, That is a nice jacket. I THINK it may not be a Al's Send me some photos, I can help identify the jacket.

Last edited:

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
How are B3s supposed to fit?

B3 from Blake Hedley. Unsure if its too big but I can definitely layer (comfortably) now. I am thinking from its military uniform roots, this maybe how its supposed to fit.

Attachments

• Blake Hedley B3.jpg
    Blake Hedley B3.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 62

Al 916

One Too Many
Friend, That is a nice jacket. I THINK it may not be a Al's Send me some photos, I can help identify the jacket.
It is very heavy hide for an Al's on the limited amount I have seen (Very nice indeed)

I thought the collar ends were not as rounded as most Al's I have seen, but not as squared as most Cal I have seen.

I am Interested in your call on this and that one on the ebay auction

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
How are B3s supposed to fit?

B3 from Blake Hedley. Unsure if its too big but I can definitely layer (comfortably) now. I am thinking from its military uniform roots, this maybe how its supposed to fit.
You're in Germany, right? Unlikely to encounter conditions that call for layering the B3 with a heavy sweater. Maybe a thin wool layer. I say the B3 should be a tad smaller. That is what I would be shooting for if I get a B3 for Poland. One thin wool layer. The damn thing is bulky enough as it is. I'd like a tighter fit.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
You're in Germany, right? Unlikely to encounter conditions that call for layering the B3 with a heavy sweater. Maybe a thin wool layer. I say the B3 should be a tad smaller. That is what I would be shooting for if I get a B3 for Poland. One thin wool layer. The damn thing is bulky enough as it is. I'd like a tighter fit.
Thanks for the feedback fam. Yeah I am in Germany. See I bought this when it went down to 30F a few weeks ago, but now it seems to be playing around 40F-50F for the next few days. This is an EU size 52, I couldve gone to 50. I will return this.

For everyone's benefit; Blake Hedley's sheepskin is short af. And their size chart sucks. Also they keep calling it "shearling" and its not. Its the rough one.

Attachments

• B3 1.jpg
    B3 1.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 56
  • B3 2.jpg
    B3 2.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 50

Damon141

Practically Family
I get it, see those holes all over eBay. I think just like many things most of us have got rid of, they didn’t know the value that these vintage pieces would have.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the feedback fam. Yeah I am in Germany. See I bought this when it went down to 30F a few weeks ago, but now it seems to be playing around 40F-50F for the next few days. This is an EU size 52, I couldve gone to 50. I will return this.

For everyone's benefit; Blake Hedley's sheepskin is short af. And their size chart sucks. Also they keep calling it "shearling" and its not. Its the rough one.
My understanding is that (for example) Aero B3 is warm af. No special layer (other than a regular shirt) necessary at 0C. Is that the case? That would be my goal - a very warm, shearling B3 with no layer at 0C and a wool layer if the temps hit -10C. Does this make sense?

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
My understanding is that (for example) Aero B3 is warm af. No special layer (other than a regular shirt) necessary at 0C. Is that the case? That would be my goal - a very warm, shearling B3 with no layer at 0C and a wool layer if the temps hit -10C. Does this make sense?
It does fam, its not like I am actually gonna be flying over Europe during winter in a bomber airplane lol

Edit: SHIT! Looks like I need to take this to a tailor, cant return it because I will then have to pay taxes again (Blake Hedley is in the UK) **** **** ****.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It does fam, its not like I am actually gonna be flying over Europe during winter in a bomber airplane lol

Edit: SHIT! Looks like I need to take this to a tailor, cant return it because I will then have to pay taxes again (Blake Hedley is in the UK) **** **** ****.
If they send you the return label and it is labeled as a return label, then you can claim back the VAT and customs duty. However, this is time-consuming and not always successful (from what I have heard)

I once received this information from DHL:
In einem solchen Fall muss eine sogenannte Konstatierung gemacht werden. Hier muss ein Zollbeamter die Sendung überprüfen ob auch wirklich die gesamte Ware (wie in der Importzollanmeldung beschrieben) in unverändertem Zustand wieder das Land verlässt. Erst dann wird von der Behörde der Betrag zurückerstattet.

Um ihr Geld noch zu bekommen, müssen Sie dringend die Zollabteilung von DHL atcustoms.export@dhl.com/zollservice.export.at@dhl.com kontaktieren und dort bekanntgeben, dass für Ihre Sendung vor der Rücksendung eine Konstatierung gemacht werden muss.

Leather Walker

Practically Family
Thank you! The lining is thick as generally found in Al's. All zippers are YKK, but the pull tab was replaced by a Talon one at some point. There's no handwritten size in the inner pocket canvas. But what are your thoughts? Really intrigued.

It is very heavy hide for an Al's on the limited amount I have seen (Very nice indeed)

I thought the collar ends were not as rounded as most Al's I have seen, but not as squared as most Cal I have seen.

I am Interested in your call on this and that one on the ebay auction
That's a really heavyweight jacket, but leather is supple like cowhide. I've always thought, almost since I identified it as an Al's, that my jacket was made in the late 80s. I have compared it to various jackets I have seen especially in the Japanese market, and they match up pretty well.

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
If they send you the return label and it is labeled as a return label, then you can claim back the VAT and customs duty. However, this is time-consuming and not always successful (from what I have heard)

I once received this information from DHL:
My concern is when they return the jacket back, DHL will charge me duties.

If I know this was not the smooth shearling I wouldve ordered from somewhere in the EU instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner