Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
If your waistline goes up, it'll hold up a hem, but I wouldn't expect the smoothing out of the wool to have a perceptible effect on length.
okay so even if i didn't gain, it would be just fine? It's perfect as is but i am just worried about it post-break in

i could of course get it altered but that's expensive

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
i ended up buying a Schott b3 one size up from my chest. question about break in, is it normal to not really be able to cross my arms? Also my sleeve rides a bit high when i move my arms to drive or something

additionally, the back feels a bit stiff and pulls a bit, Is that normal for a new jacket?

spectre6000

One of the Regulars
Here's one I've been trying to wrap my head around along the same lines as the gusset question. I've seen reference on multiple occasions to the "height" of arm holes affecting mobility.

Does this refer to where the arm holes are within the body of the jacket? In other words, the top is dictated by the angel across the shoulders from the collar, and then the bottom would be distance from the hem? In which case, the length of body of the jacket would make that figure something of a percentage.

Or does it refer simply to the length of the sleeve opening? Would that be measured in a curve along the seam, or more commonly in a straight line from the top to the bottom as laid flat?

Once this is disambiguated, how does this figure affect mobility?

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Here's one I've been trying to wrap my head around along the same lines as the gusset question. I've seen reference on multiple occasions to the "height" of arm holes affecting mobility.

Does this refer to where the arm holes are within the body of the jacket? In other words, the top is dictated by the angel across the shoulders from the collar, and then the bottom would be distance from the hem? In which case, the length of body of the jacket would make that figure something of a percentage.

Or does it refer simply to the length of the sleeve opening? Would that be measured in a curve along the seam, or more commonly in a straight line from the top to the bottom as laid flat?

Once this is disambiguated, how does this figure affect mobility?
Hello!
I'm not sure if anyone can answer these questions or if there is a designated Keeper of the Thread, but here is my understanding of arm hole height.
It refers to the height of the armpit, the height bottom of the hole. The closer the armpit of the garment is to your actual physical armpit more mobility you have.
As the armpit hole gets larger, the sleeve of the jacket will pull up on the torso and it gets akward to raise your arm.
Take an exagerated example, imagine a jacket with an arm hole that was so big it went down to your elbow.
You'd barely be able to lift your arm because of how it would both pull at the body of the coat, and cause bunching of material at the top of your shoulder.
So the "height" is how high up into your armpit the hole is. You could also say how small the arm hole is, but if the hole is small but still low and away from your armpit, then you still wouldn't have good mobility.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
And I had my own question!
I have had really great experiences with two Etsy sellers and I’d like to share them as a solid source for vintage coats.
I don’t have any affiliation with them, I’ve just bought a really nice whipcord cruiser from one, and the other has a bunch of legitimate US Navy issue Pea Coats. I was able to find a 1969 Dale Fashions model in the UNHEARD of Extra large size of 46
Is there a thread for like "I had a great experience with such and such a seller”?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
2024-02-01 10_26_45-worn in doc martens - Google Search.jpg
why do docMart, always crease this ugly on the side, that horizontal line from the vamp all the way to the top of heel cap, what might be the root of the cause? combat boots with similar pattern rarely have this problem
2024-02-01 10_39_10-worn in combat boots - Google Search.jpg 2024-02-01 10_39_53-worn in combat boots - Google Search.jpg
they crease a lot more natural and doesn't look unnatural like on doc marts

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
seems like something pulling, maybe the shape of the shaft on doc mart is angled certain way that made that pull once worn perhaps? because it always happen, seems like pattern oriented but I'm not sure why 2024-02-01 11_11_49-doc martens - Google Search.jpg 2024-02-01 11_12_09-doc martens - Google Search.jpg 2024-02-01 11_15_27-doc martens break in - Google Search.jpg

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
2024-02-01 11_19_06-Dr_martens_boots.jpg (400×331).jpg
the tall version docmart is not affected by it, there they
develop similar natural looking creases like on combat/ jumper boots

Nykwil

One of the Regulars
I'm looking for inspiration. I've scrolled through the "jackets" tag on vintagehaberdashers.com looking for inspiration. Can anyone suggest any other similar blogs with lots of great photos and information?

There's a what jacket are you wearing today thread...and celebrity and vintage jacket picture threads all on here if you utilize the search.

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking for inspiration. I've scrolled through the "jackets" tag on vintagehaberdashers.com looking for inspiration. Can anyone suggest any other similar blogs with lots of great photos and information?

The blog you referenced and this forum is pretty much it. Much of what you are looking for is here, in threads as listed above. There are threads dedicated to particular jackets and companies, vintage and new.

The Vintage outerwear thread contains a fair amount of inspiration.

In response to your request I posted several back shots of vintage jackets, including the ones you were most interested in. I got now feedback, no questions. I took them down so they would not clog the thread.

check out the instgram links people post. There are a ton of pictures, many posted by TFL forum members.

I have a significant archieve of Vintage jacket pictures, mine and others. If you can narrow down your want I, and others here, can help you.

spectre6000

One of the Regulars
View attachment 586072
why do docMart, always crease this ugly on the side, that horizontal line from the vamp all the way to the top of heel cap, what might be the root of the cause? combat boots with similar pattern rarely have this problem
View attachment 586073 View attachment 586074
they crease a lot more natural and doesn't look unnatural like on doc marts
Looks like Doc Martin uses a taller last (the shoe equivalent of a pattern) than the combat boots. Look at the angle of the laces relative to he heel cap as you go toward the back of the boot. More obtuse. Less likely to feel "tight" to a mass market audience.
There's a what jacket are you wearing today thread...and celebrity and vintage jacket picture threads all on here if you utilize the search.

Perfect! Thank you.
In response to your request I posted several back shots of vintage jackets, including the ones you were most interested in. I got now feedback, no questions. I took them down so they would not clog the thread.
Kinda funny, I saw them, saved them to my "inspiration folder", but similarly didn't want to clog the thread. Your posts are exactly what I would expect to see in this thread. Thank your for posting those. That jacket (the brown one specifically) is almost exactly what I would like to see exist in a size I can wear.

cbez

One Too Many
1000018518.jpg
1000018520.jpg

A few years ago rainbow country did this run of 'busted shrink' horsehide. Looks sick. Reminds me of the honeycomb shinki horsebutt but more shrunken in the tanning process obviously.

Anyone know of similarly tanned horsehides? I know bison and water buffalo often get tanned like this but haven't seen it in hh besides this.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Looks like Doc Martin uses a taller last (the shoe equivalent of a pattern) than the combat boots. Look at the angle of the laces relative to he heel cap as you go toward the back of the boot. More obtuse. Less likely to feel "tight" to a mass market audience.
you are right seems like the pattern give a spacious room for a very high foot bridge no human will ever have, I think a wedge insole could lessen this problem

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Perfect! Thank you.

Kinda funny, I saw them, saved them to my "inspiration folder", but similarly didn't want to clog the thread. Your posts are exactly what I would expect to see in this thread. Thank your for posting those. That jacket (the brown one specifically) is almost exactly what I would like to see exist in a size I can wear.
What size do you wear?

jr30

Familiar Face
What are the benefits of brushing leather jackets?

I achieve a shine on shoes, but this is not always desired on leather jackets.

My horse leather jacket is dirt-free but a bit dull in some places, especially on the collar. I have a brand new horsehair brush. How do I proceed? Fast brushing like when polishing shoes to a high shine, or slow movements (maybe only in one direction?)?

What actually happens with the leather when brushing it? Thank you for a tip on a perhaps stupid question ;)

Regards, Roman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner