Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waiker

New in Town
Hello guys,

Could anyone give me some input regarding this jacket? Mostly wondering if anyone handled or seen the model live so to speak. Offered for what seems to be a very fair price.
DSC_0583.jpg

DSC_0584.jpg

DSC_0582.jpg

Best regards,
Waiker

Does anyone have an interest in creating a separate forum or email thread by invitation only with classifieds offered at cost for likeminded members who appreciate “camaraderie”?

I’m thinking of @Marc mndt @ton312 etc. just an idea.
I don’t think this is in the spirit of the lounge. Creating a private sub forum exclusive to certain members? I would hate to be excluded from that. The stuff I sell sells quickly because I price it realistically, if it doesn’t sell, it’s because nobody wants it. I can live with that and worst case it goes to auction on eBay.

Waiker

New in Town
Looks like Ralph’s soft take on the OG Herc. I can’t say anything about it other than it’s cool and I would dye it.
Thanks alot for your input @ton312 !
I was thinking about that actually, but got no experience with leather dye nor do I know if the distressed factory finish will have an impact on the results.

Thanks alot for your input @ton312 !
I was thinking about that actually, but got no experience with leather dye nor do I know if the distressed factory finish will have an impact on the results.
You can’t be afraid to ruin it. I can assure you, you won’t. First thing you need to do is strip it. Use acetone and accept the brain damage. Buy a quality alcohol based dye (Fiebings is great). Dilute the dye 3:1 with rubbing alcohol. 3 parts alcohol to one part dye. Work quickly and carefully. The alcohol dye soaks in very quickly and will also evaporate from your dye bath.

Get a cocktail and wait for it to dry. Doesn’t take long. Drink fast.

Reapply dye until you hit your desired color/depth.

Another cocktail.

And another, b/c you think you ruined it.

Next day apply sealant/ topcoat . There’s a ton to chose from, use something that penetrates. Anglus is the worst. It’s like glue and it stretches like skin and peels off.

As I final step I like to apply Urad. It’s a shiny sticky sealant but once dry the jacket will have a very robust water repellency and the sticky to the touch feel will be gone.

There’s plenty of YouTube videos you can watch and I’d recommend that too. Just to help get you over the fear hump.

Waiker

New in Town
You can’t be afraid to ruin it. I can assure you, you won’t. First thing you need to do is strip it. Use acetone and accept the brain damage. Buy a quality alcohol based dye (Fiebings is great). Dilute the dye 3:1 with rubbing alcohol. 3 parts alcohol to one part dye. Work quickly and carefully. The alcohol dye soaks in very quickly and will also evaporate from your dye bath.

Get a cocktail and wait for it to dry. Doesn’t take long. Drink fast.

Reapply dye until you hit your desired color/depth.

Another cocktail.

And another, b/c you think you ruined it.

Next day apply sealant/ topcoat . There’s a ton to chose from, use something that penetrates. Anglus is the worst. It’s like glue and it stretches like skin and peels off.

As I final step I like to apply Urad. It’s a shiny sticky sealant but once dry the jacket will have a very robust water repellency and the sticky to the touch feel will be gone.

There’s plenty of YouTube videos you can watch and I’d recommend that too. Just to help get you over the fear hump.

Thank you so much for this detailed step by step! I will spend some time researching the products you mentioned :) The jacket itself is 60$, so guess the products needed will exceed that value, but that is fine.

KBlake

One Too Many
I don’t think this is in the spirit of the lounge. Creating a private sub forum exclusive to certain members? I would hate to be excluded from that. The stuff I sell sells quickly because I price it realistically, if it doesn’t sell, it’s because nobody wants it. I can live with that and worst case it goes to auction on eBay.
I don't want to start another debate about this, but the whole point is that there are people here violating the spirit of the lounge by price gouging members etc. The lounge is unfortunately a place where some members abuse the goodwill of members like you and me.

I don't want to start another debate about this, but the whole point is that there are people here violating the spirit of the lounge by price gouging members etc. The lounge is unfortunately a place where some members abuse the goodwill of members like you and me.
If I sell something for what I’m asking, then I don’t consider myself abused by a buyer who attempts to flip for a profit. I regularly see stuff I sell on eBay reappear on Etsy for 3X the selling price. It makes me laugh and it doesn’t sell. Do I think it’s a crappy thing to do? Yes, but my moral compass isn’t always pointed true North and people may be in a situation I don’t understand.

I do understand what you’re getting at. A “keep it in the family” sort of thing but I just can’t really think of a fair way of doing that. And as HM mentioned I think there’s a bit of that already in play.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
Thank you so much for this detailed step by step! I will spend some time researching the products you mentioned :) The jacket itself is 60$, so guess the products needed will exceed that value, but that is fine.

Okay I'm invested. That jacket looks like a cool cut on the hanger and thanks to @ton312 I'm now hooked on the idea of upgrading a jacket with dyes/finishes.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
W
I've been around here for awhile. Who are these price gourgers??

Give an example.

Who qualifies for the "pipeline"?

jeo

One Too Many
W
I've been around here for awhile. Who are these price gourgers??

Give an example.

Who qualifies for the "pipeline"?

I can give examples of established members asking for more than they paid but it’s not my style to out anyone. They exist.

To your point, if they actually sell for a profit is a different story.

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
is there a way to prevent scratches and natural patina? I like the color of my new schott b3 as it is and I want to minimize 'wear and tear' and keep it shiny and new

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR