Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask Teri - Wearing a Fedora Hat

Natty Bumpo

New in Town
From the Wall Street Journal today.

The ridiculous Johnny Depp is photographed. Not sure if he and Brad Pitt are "hip".

URL for this article:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119992922984379699.html

Q: I wear a fedora hat in the winter, and I get favorable comments from people on the street. Do I look like I am too overdressed or not contemporary? It is a handsome accessory, but I still feel conspicuous. -- D.W., New York

A: For all those fellows who live in baseball caps or pull-on knit caps in cold weather, a grown-up fedora may take some getting used to. But neophytes, rest assured that if you choose the right hat, with a brim that's not too wide and a crown that's not too deep, you won't look like you're trying to channel Humphrey Bogart. You'll look great.

Brimmed hats -- made of felt in the fall, straw in the summer -- are a jaunty flourish that appeals to guys with a confident, individual sense of style. Worth & Worth, the venerable Manhattan shop that has specialized in fedoras and top hats since 1922 and is now online (www.hatshop.com1), says that a new generation is taking an interest in fedoras. For years, its core fedora fans had been conservative executives, lawyers and bankers between 40 and 60 years old.

"In the last year and a half, we are getting more guys in their 20s and 30s who are buying fedoras for the first time," says Orlando Palacio, hat designer and one of the owners of Worth & Worth. "They come in and don't have any idea what their hat size is."

Some sharp dressers are taking cues from celebrities such as Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp, who have made brimmed hats hip, Mr. Palacio says. Younger guys favor hats with small, 2 1/8-inch brims -- sometimes turned up -- that they tend to wear with overcoats or casual jackets and shirts without a tie. They also go for hat bands in striped tie fabric, instead of a tone-on-tone matching hat band. The effect is retro chic, reminiscent of Rat Pack leader Frank Sinatra. "It says 'I'm styling. I'm stepping away from the norm.' It's definitely not an old hat," Mr. Palacio says.

Worth & Worth markets upscale rabbit-fur felt fedoras that average $225, but less expensive models can also work. Many hat wearers prefer the precise fit they get from models that come in numbered sizes, instead of just small, medium or large. Try on different brims to find a style that flatters your face. Once you get the hang of it, add sunglasses and a neck scarf, turn your coat collar up, and go forth with a bit of swagger. And when you go indoors, take that hat off.

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Bad link to Worth and Worth in the story. This one works.

I'm wondering about those guys, though. I'd sent them a Statesman I picked up in Canberra about a decade ago to have the sweatband replaced, and they called me yestereday and left a message that it was ready to be picked up. I guess it didn't dawn on them that someone living in Pennsylvania would prefer that it be shipped back to them.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
So why is looking like Sinatra okay, but looking like Bogart not?

This is mostly a rhetorical question. I'm glad she's recommending fedoras, but why does a distinction have to be drawn? At the base level, Sinatra and Bogart are both men wearing suits, ties, and hats. Is it because Sinatra and the 1960s are still recent memory for many people, but Bogart and the 1940s are so far removed that they seem like ancient history?

Brad

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Natty Bumpo said:
The ridiculous Johnny Depp is photographed. Not sure if he and Brad Pitt are "hip".

I'm not sure why there's animosity here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Johnny Depp has been wearing fedoras for a few years now.

And wearing fedoras for a few years is more than some of us on the board.

Not trying to stir the pot, just trying to understand the original agenda. ;)

NonEntity

Suspended
I second that

So why is looking like Sinatra okay, but looking like Bogart not?

This is mostly a rhetorical question. I'm glad she's recommending fedoras, but why does a distinction have to be drawn? At the base level, Sinatra and Bogart are both men wearing suits, ties, and hats. Is it because Sinatra and the 1960s are still recent memory for many people, but Bogart and the 1940s are so far removed that they seem like ancient history?

Brad

Good point, Brad. The writer of the article shows that her knowledge of hats and film icons of the past is limited to the more recent. Not to put down old blue eyes, but was there ever anyone cooler than Humphrey Bogart? I wonder if she even knows who E.G. Robinson or Jimmy Cagney is. "You rat, you dirty rat..."

surely

A-List Customer
NonEntity said:

Not to put down old blue eyes, but was there ever anyone cooler than Humphrey Bogart?

Do you mean as a person in real life or as a character in a film?
But why do I ask, your a nobody anyway. ..:D

Edward

Bartender
Personal taste is personal taste (some of us have it and some don't is all :p ), but it does seem somehow odd to me too to praise Sinatra and diss Bogart on a style front... The only thing i can think of is that the lady dislikes wider brims and prefers stingys, but hasn't quite articulated that too well. Or maybe she has an aversion to the trenchcoat and fedora combo most commonly associated with Bogart - one person's classic being another's detective stereotype? [huh]

As far as I'm aware, Johnny Depp has indeed been wearing fedoras for a number of years. Yes his style is somewhat more dishevilled than commonly favoured in these parts, but nevertheless in his very bohemian untidyness he is nevertheless a considerable classier dresser than the likes of Timberlake, or even some others who often sport quite decent suits (Puff Diddy, or whatever he's calling himself this week) but don't seem to carry them off the same.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I agree that Bogart gets 'dissed' because of the association with the trenchcoat,an item that seems to be hip-proof (for those that care about hip,that is). His fedora,trench combo is such a powerful bit of cultural iconography that it intimidates most men (although not those of us here who know better;) ). That article does have a refreshingly positive tone. Good to see it. Oh, and I like Depp's hats-even if he does sometimes wear them odd. At least he picks ones that look high quality.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Edward said:
it does seem somehow odd to me too to praise Sinatra and diss Bogart on a style front... .
Teri Agins is a fashion writer and the Rat Pack look is in fashion at the moment as just about every designer, from Prada to Polo, is currently paying homage. Hopefully Bogart's style will be resuscitated in the near future and she'll jump on the bandwagon.

Edward

Bartender
Ah, gotcha. I never really got the idea of following fashions. I mean, sometimes it's hard to find afforadable clothing that doesn't kow tow to current fashion, but this idea of seeking to be "fashionable" - wearing something simply because someone somwhere says "this is in fashion!" .... that's for the birds.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Edward said:
I never really got the idea of following fashions....... this idea of seeking to be "fashionable" - wearing something simply because someone somwhere says "this is in fashion!" .... that's for the birds
Well, women are the biggest slaves to fashion. ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The irony here, of course, is that Bogey was the original honcho of the Rat Pack, and passed the title on to Sinatra. I think this attitude about the wider brimmed hats is just anxiety over the bold statement the high crowned broad brimmed hat makes. When I got my new Stetson in May of last year I tried on a Borsalino Alessandro and just didn't have the guts to go with it. If I had to make the choice today I'd have the higher crowned broader brimmed model. I'll bet you see some of these guys with the little brimmed hats graduate to much bolder ones over the next year or so.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
surely said:
NonEntity said:
Not to put down old blue eyes, but was there ever anyone cooler than Humphrey Bogart?

But why do I ask, your a nobody anyway. ..:D

lol lol Clever lol lol

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
I don't know if it's a national thing, but I've been seeing more and more wide brimmed fedoras in stores and on the streets. I really don't like the look described in the article. The whole small brim turned up style just makes the wearer look like a hipster monkey. But hey, maybe that's what they're going for. [huh]

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
KeyGrip said:
I really don't like the look described in the article. The whole small brim turned up style just makes the wearer look like a hipster monkey. But hey, maybe that's what they're going for. [huh]

I tend to look at those lids as "training fedoras..." :D

Cheers,
JtL

NonEntity

Suspended
Good One!

Originally Posted by surely
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonEntity

But why do I ask, your a nobody anyway. ..

Hey, I can take a joke.

The reason I chose NonEntity (I use that nic all over the web) is because I went to a prestigious college prep school with a bunch of blue-blood rich kids with names most Americans would recognize as elite.

A middle-class family, my folks had to scrimp and save to send me there, where I got a terrific education that made college itself a breeze. I am forever indebted to them. I got in that prep school purely on my academic merits and excelled, but was reminded on a daily basis that I was a nobody.

We recently had our 30th class reunion. I'm more successful than 95% of the blue bloods, but does that make me one of them? I hope not. I like being a nobody.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
jimmy the lid said:
I tend to look at those lids as "training fedoras..." :D
What a great term, thanks for that. I'm glad fedoras are getting mention, as they're my favorite hat style. Fedoras as a pop culture item could be a good trend, but I was likened to Justin Timberlake one time, and that somehow didn't sit right. :rage:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner