Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Audrey Hepburn Crop

MarilynMinsky

New in Town
I've noticed that most of the haircuts mentioned are all pretty long.

My personal late 50s icon will always be Audrey Hepburn. I'm blessed enough to look a tiny bit like her!

However, I still can't seem to get her iconic pixie just right.

sabrina_humphrey_bogart_audrey_hepburn-437x500.jpg

audrey-hepburn-sabrina.jpg

This would be me: *I look so, so tired, it was a long day*

ohjlala004.jpg

Maybe you can help me out, because I know she has to set her hair, look at how she pulls it back on the sides.

Mhm...what do you think I should do? Keep the "modern" crop, or set my hair every morning?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
You need some mousse to smooth back the sides (She almost always did that.)

Your hair is also too straight - Audrey's front hair was probably long enough to set in small rollers, but not her whole head. If you're using a flatiron, turn the heat down, and use it to curl the ends. You might also have too many layers... Grow them out an inch or so, to allow for some curl.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I agree that you need more curl. My hair is naturally very wavy with a lot of body and when I wear a pixie cut, it looks quite similar to Audrey's. Also I think that your hair needs to be slightly longer on the sides. I would perhaps try a small barrel curling iron to put a few well-placed curls around the bangs and crown to imitate the look.

Do a Google image search on French actress Audrey Tautou - she looks very much like Hepburn and frequently wears her hair in a very cropped style.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
The biggest problem to getting your hair to look like hers is that today's "pixie" is much shorter. If you asked your hairstylist for a pixie, it will never look like hers. You need to grow out your top layers several inches.

Foofoogal

Banned
I have your hairdo and am now growing it out a bit. It looks like in the photo of Audrey that maybe she had a cowlick in front. Maybe this is the difference but listen to the beauticians above.
I understand your angst though as I have been trying for years to get the hairdo Liz Taylor wore here. Noone has ever understood what I meant or could do. [huh]
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/10/09/article-0-02F4A5FF00000578-674_306x423.jpg

here is her shorter that I can do and you can probably also but you want Audrey.
http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/msnbc/...liztaylor/ss-080731-liz-taylor-tease.300w.jpg
http://sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Oh Foofoogal, me too. The Liz thing, I mean.
My hair is a growing out pixie/boycut kind of thing, so there's not much I can do with the layers just now (not saying there's nothing that CAN be done with them, only that I'm a hapless hairdresser ;)). But I love the way Liz had her hair in "Suddenly, Last Summer" - short and sassy, yet all those lovely curls as well. It's the ideal out-of-your-face, feminine look, that can be adapted to look right with several decades of vintage fashion.
But how to get it?...... :(

Foofoogal

Banned
I have even taken the photo to hairdressers and nada. I know I would have to have a perm as I just have some wave. I always tell the person that I take my car to the shop and don't have a clue. that is why I come to you.
I at least have found one not afraid of cutting hair. To me this is the hardest thing for a hairdresser to overcome. I guess they have such awful picky customers.
I always tell them it will grow out as my hair grows like a weed.
Liz was beyond gorgeous.
http://sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Foofoogal said:
I have your hairdo and am now growing it out a bit. It looks like in the photo of Audrey that maybe she had a cowlick in front. Maybe this is the difference but listen to the beauticians above.
I understand your angst though as I have been trying for years to get the hairdo Liz Taylor wore here. Noone has ever understood what I meant or could do. [huh]
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/10/09/article-0-02F4A5FF00000578-674_306x423.jpg

Really?!?! That looks like a very simple style. The important thing with this style is that you either need a) some natural wave, b) a body wave permanent on orange or larger perm rods, or c) a wetset.

HopeB

New in Town
AH crop

you might need a silicone-based product for moldability, like Paul Mitchell Super Skinny serum, to give your hair a softer look. Use a pea-size amoun, blow-dry, then follow with pomade. I love Audrey!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic