Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Austerity picnic food - Picnics Part 2!

Kishtu

Practically Family
I know we have had a couple of threads looking at picnic food and indeed they have been helpful, but they're not quite what I need for this one...

For a re-enactment later this year I plan to attend with the Small and the Hairy Bloke, he will be in uniform and I will be a civilian mum... bit of a role reversal there from our everyday lives but there ya go....
Anyway, since with good luck and a following wind it should be hotter than the proverbial hobs of the hot place, picnics seem to be the order of the day.

Since we are part of a living history display - ummm actually we are the living history display :eeek: - I'm looking for ideas for a real CC41 picnic. So smoked salmon, sparkling champagne, and cream cakes are probably not on the agenda :D
It's funny how much of what we'd normally take to a picnic is based quite heavily around meat and cheese!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Sounds interesting!

Off the top of my head... "National loaf" type bread, fish paste or cheese for sandwiches, mock fried sausages, carrot cookies or carrot fudge.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
I like foraging for stuff, we have these in our cupboards:
  • bramble jelly, rosehip jelly, hawthorn jelly, plum jam, cherry jam, greengage jam, raspberry jam - all good for butties or scones. I know sugar was rationed, but these make good use of it!
  • foraged salad leaves - dandelion/ramson etc
  • pickled eggs - eggs bought free range from a farmer
Also, depending on the time of year:
  • Elder flower cordial
  • Apples,pears plums etc also grow wild
  • Grow your own veg - radishes, new potatoes
Lastly, a key part of any good picnic is - Lashings of ginger beer!
Fivegomad.jpg

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Spam sandwiches made with national loaf?

Fish and chips? (Which I believe, was unrationed during the war, although the fish was probably replaced with something far less palatable...probably Snoek).

Potato salad? (Veggies were unrationed during the war, but you were expected to grow your own).

Carrot cake and/or Apple Crumble (both of them invented during the War as a response to the lack of sugar, and flour, respectively)...with or without cream.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Interesting, I've never really thought about the origins of carrot cake before!

Here's it's ancestor, 'carrot pudding' from 1699:

Pudding of Carrot. Pare off ſome of the Cruſt of Manchet-Bread, and grate of half as much of the reſt as there is of the Root, which muſt alſo be grated: Then take half a Pint of freſh Cream or New Milk, half a Pound of freſh Butter, ſix new laid Eggs (taking out three of the Whites) maſh and mingle them well with the Cream and Butter: Then put in the grated Bread and Carrot, with near half a Pound of Sugar; and a little Salt; ſome grated Nutmeg and beaten Spice; and pour all into a convenient Diſh or Pan, butter'd, to keep the Ingredients from ſticking and burning; ſet it in a quick Oven for about an Hour, and ſo have you a Compoſition for any Root-Pudding.

(http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15517/15517-h/15517-h.htm)

I daresay the food ministry re-popularised quite a lot of medieval peasant food during the war.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo