Autumnal Thoughts........

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by flat-top, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Notre Dame vs Michigan this Saturday. Cooler crispness begets sweater wear.

2. David Conwill

David Conwill Call Me a Cab

1926 University of Michigan.jpg

Ok, wrong game, but it's one of my favorite images...

Zombie_61 likes this.
  3. Zachary

Zachary One of the Regulars

The other day, the highest temperature didn't exceed the 18° centigrade. I felt brutally prepared for the cold season. While these conditions are marvellous to be outside at, it's much lesser fun to take a morning shower in an unheated bathroom.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  4. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

We are at a high today in fact of 18C/65F. Quite refreshing for a change after horrid, humid heat! Helps to have a heated bathroom though!

Zombie_61 likes this.
  5. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Michigan and Harbaugh are due for a stellar season. Coach H played under Bo Schembechler and
    I never saw him take the shotgun until his Chicago Bears time under Mike Dicka. I recall Harbaugh calling
    an audible and D's sideline thermonuclear detonation. Those were the days!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  6. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

And today, I got finally Lavender-bar soap from drugstore. Preparing for the literary autumn with nice books and some "Earl Grey, hot". ;)

Not to mention flatcap and fieldjacket... :cool:

7. 1mach1

1mach1

No signs of autumn here. Probably won't be until October. Which reminds me, winter is coming

8. kaiser

kaiser A-List Customer

4 deg C here this morning, trees are droping their leaves already, not because fall is approaching, but due to the serious lack of rain here for the last several months.

9. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

This sounds familiar. Around here the only sign that summer is beginning to wind down is the daylight ending earlier than it had a couple of weeks ago. Daily temperatures are still in the 80s and low-90s (°F) and the weather monkeys are guesstimating we won't see regular daily temps below 80°F until late October or early November. o_O

[​IMG]

1mach1 likes this.
  10. 1mach1

1mach1

That sounds about right. Meteorologist...wish I could be as wrong as they are without repercussions.

Bushman and Zombie_61 like this.
  11. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

In late February/early March, we were hit by a weather storm dubbed, The Beast from the East. A blast of Siberian wind swept across Europe. Ten weeks later and our weather was Sahara desert hot. The last time we had such extremes was in 1976, that heatwave ended with eleven weeks of continuous rain. Watch this space. By the way, the last picture is supposedly green pasture land.
    weather.jpg weather1.jpg weather2.jpg weather4.jpg weather5.jpg

dh66, Zombie_61, 1mach1 and 1 other person like this.
  12. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

I am sooooooo ready for autumn. I went to Yankee Candle Co. yesterday and bought a bunch of candles with autumn scents: pumpkin spice, autumn leaves, etc. We've had nothing but rain here since Saturday night (we had a brief afternoon of sunshine yesterday, but that's it) and it's feeling more like fall.

13. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Good idea! And inspired me to the idea of looking around for a nice autumn-coffee mug with autumn leaves and so on. :)

14. swanson_eyes

swanson_eyes Practically Family

I would get an autumn mug but I have too many fall things. I have more fall decorations than Christmas stuff. It's been rainy here, too, so it feels like fall some days. I'm still wearing white, though.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  15. dh66

dh66

We've had a fair amount of rain here, too...thanks to the storm in the gulf...and the cloudy skies really made it look like autumn yesterday. Temps were in the low 90s, though, so it sure didn't feel like it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mae, Zombie_61 and AmateisGal like this.
  16. Zachary

Zachary One of the Regulars

autumn.png

17. Mae

Mae Call Me a Cab

Same here. It's practically been flooding for the past two days. It's never this cool in early September, especially this early. The cooler temps are welcome.

Zombie_61 and dh66 like this.
  18. MissMittens

MissMittens One Too Many

cooler temps finally on their way here this weekend, possibly accompanied by a hurricane though.....got to love the new normal :(

19. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

Slipping quietly into autumn up here in the north and the foliage is beginning to slowly change color. I'm really looking forwards to doing more nature hikes in the coming weeks and enjoying the show.

[​IMG]

Bushman, Zombie_61 and Trenchfriend like this.
  20. Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch Call Me a Cab

35882FE4-03AE-4A91-91BE-6DBDB0878292.jpeg

It is September and it is still hot in coastal North Carolina. Very hot, actually. And as I write this, we’re staring down the barrel of an approaching hurricane. So the weather here doesn’t put me in mind hot chocolate and fuzzy wool sweaters. But autumn on the southern coast brings other pleasures. One is that the red drum appear in our sounds for their annual spawn. And for a few weeks in late August and early September, sports fishermen like me have the opportunity to wrestle a beast like this from the salty waters of the Pamlico Sound. This photo was taken yesterday. BTW...the drum fishery is very well regulated. Drum this size must be released to continue their spawn. And she was.

AF

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    dh66, HanauMan and Zombie_61 like this.