Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Autumnal Thoughts........

BixChix26

New in Town
I'm struggling thru this droughty summer in the Midwest too, but I don't think I could live in a climate without seasonal changes. Fall is definitely my favorite time of year (must be a nostalgic thing, so many of us love it), but I even like winter in Chicago. Don't think the St. Valentine's Day Massacre could have taken place on a bright, spring afternoon!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
One of the few things I am looking forward to when I move back to Iowa to be with my mother, is the seasons.

It is Endless Summer here in Paradise. And while I appreciate having the best weather in, possibly, the world, I will return home to experience, for awhile, the seasonal delights.

I love fall because the weather is just right for the kinds of clothes I like to wear. When I lived in NYC, autumn was my favorite season (like the song, "Autumn in New York"). The most beautiful autumn I ever experienced was in Vermont, with those crisp, cold night and the profusion of colors on the trees in the day and sometimes a dusting of snow on the mountaintops. I can experience most of that here if I go to the mountains, but not the colors. Nothing like Vermont!

Spring in Iowa is a delight and it seems to happen overnight. One day it is all muddy and gray and dead looking, then, suddenly, little yellow-green buds appear and grass turns green and ... it is spring.

Summer? I prefer the heat of the Southwest to the humidity of the Midwest and Deep South. The worst heat I ever experienced was 103 degrees in August in (ugh!) Houston. I could tolerate 115 degrees in Joshua Tree, but barely 100 in the humidity of East Texas. It felt like I was in a steam bath. Iowa is no picnic, either, and NYC in 100 degree-plus heat? You can smell the garbage cooking on the streets. Yech!

Winter will be fun to experience again, as long as I have adequate heat and layered clothing. It will be nice to experience a blizzard when I don't have to get out and go to work in it. And I can wear my fedoras 3 seasons in Iowa without sweating. Now, if I can just avoid being tarred and feathered....

karol

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
When Fall rolls around, I'm more in the mood for Film Noir, Vintage Mysteries and suspence and other all-around Black And White flicks. I dress better, I'm able to spend time endlessly outside with out having to hyper-hydrate, and I'm in an all around better mood.

sandysot

New in Town
It seems the whole U.S. is in the grip of never ending a heatwave. We, on the Florida Atlantic coast, are also in the dog days of summer. This close to the ocean, however, we get the Atlantic breeze to keep us a few degrees under the mainland temps.

Michaelson

One Too Many
My wife and I were sitting on the restaurant porch of the Athenaeum Hotel at Chatauqua, New York last friday nite, waiting for the 3rd course of a 4 course meal being served on that hotel's historic porch (built in 1881), us dressed to the 9's, our table overlooking Chatauqua Lake. Light lake breeze blowing inland, no humidity, no bugs, 70+ degrees....then a cool night in the 50's and a walk through the Institute....ah.... Now THAT I could learn to get used to....and for a long time, though I'd never move to New York State myself....that setting would be one I'll remember to use as a template for my favorite time and temperature...

Regards! Michaelson

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Can't wait to break out the leather flight jackets. Its been HHHHHOTTTT and very dry here in the midwest. AAHHH and then winter. The car wont start. The gas bills that are thru da roof. But theres always the B-3.
frontflat.jpg

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, we had our second brisk morning in a row today. I think the overdue cool weather is upon us. I wanna break out the coats and jackets, but I may be jumping the gun! I remember when I was a kid and having to wear my WINTER coat over my Halloween costume! Ahh, the good ol' days!
flat-top

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Aaaahhhh, nice and cool here, rainy and cloudy yesterday, a beautiful Fall day. Gonna have a hard freeze tonight, down around 25 degrees.

Brad

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
The great thing about living here in the S.F. Bay area is you can pretty much pick your season. During the summer you can go a few miles east and "enjoy" hot,hot temps. If you're like me and prefer something a bit more comfortable stick closer to the coast and enjoy our natural air-conditioning: Fog.

You don't even have to travel by car to change seasons...if you live in San Francisco. Quite often downtown San Francisco will be sunny and warm. Move a bit to the western part of town and it's fogged in and chilly.

I lived in Boston for a few years and don't miss the black slush that used to be snow one bit. Apart from the occasional earthquake (sleep through most of 'em) It's a great place. Just don't call it "Kalifoorneeaa.."

Patrick

New in Town
My pecan trees are loaded down this year. Another month or so, and they'll start falling. Picking pecans with a chill in the air, it does not get any better than that. Hear's a tip: Get you a big mug of hot sweet creamy coffee, and throw in a pinch of shelled pecans for a nice cool or cold weather treat. (about the same as dumping peanuts in your bottled coke.) Ahhh, the rites of autum in south Texas.

P.

Bebop

Practically Family
Living in San Francisco and Spokane Wa. I'll take S.F. over Spokane. I live out near the beach by the Cliff House and it gets nice and foggy here. If I get tired of that, I just go out towards downtown or across the bay to warm up. I used to live on Nob Hill and would go out to the beach to get cooler weather. No Spokane snow, ice, dead plants, high heating bills. In S.F. I can walk anywhere I want any time of the year. I do like fall in Spokane and the fact that summer last only a short time. Right now we are on the verge of fall in Spokane. No hot weather. No snow. I love breaking out my cooler weather clothes. Something I never had to do growing up in Los Angeles. I could wear the same shirt in July and in December. There is something dull about that.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Ugh

It is relentlessly 75 - 85 in Ohio, and humid to boot.
Ratsin-Fratsin weather!

Went to the county fair Saturday in a jacket and B!Wear cap, and sweated!
I protest!

I've been asking to move to Maine for years.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Well, James, I am about to find out if I still love the cold.

I have lived out here in Weather Sissyland for the past 22 years and have forgotten what snow looks like, except in pictures. My clothes are all light California casual soft cottons and rayons. Lots of sandals and soft shoes.

Oh, boy, Iowa weather here I come!

karol

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
Oh boy! Here goes the I Love Cold Club again.
You know property is cheap in Saskatchewan and it is always cold. :p ;)

Regards to all,

J

P.S. Did I mention how much I hate snow? :rage:
Wait till you see the I LOVE WINTER thread in a month or two!!
((brrrrrrrr))
flat-top

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points