Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Autumnal Thoughts........

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I feel sorry for ya bra! You've probably seen Santa arrive by surfboard.

Oh yes, many times...

This guy is in front of the City Hall each season...
Dec%2018%202009.jpg

Last edited:
See, I always ask the people who have moved to my neck of the woods from California, or down south what the heck compelled them to come here! If I lived where it was warm, I sure wouldn't wanna move up here. I'm stuck because of my stupid family lol

I was born and raised in Southern California, the land of paradise to some, but I hated the year long summers there [huh]

I tolerate snow at Christmas, for that whole 'holiday' business, adding ambiance and all that. It gets old fast though. I'd rather be outside mowing lawn on Christmas day, now that sounds good!
Even at Christmas? :eeek:

rue

See, I always ask the people who have moved to my neck of the woods from California, or down south what the heck compelled them to come here! If I lived where it was warm, I sure wouldn't wanna move up here. I'm stuck because of my stupid family lol

I tolerate snow at Christmas, for that whole 'holiday' business, adding ambiance and all that. It gets old fast though. I'd rather be outside mowing lawn on Christmas day, now that sounds good!

People ask me that all the time, but I think it's different when you grew up in it [huh]

You and James were separated at birth by about 20 years lol

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Been there done that and got hypothermia. No thanks. It stunk.
Well, that's just not being smart about the weather. I had my VW mini-bus when I lived in Michigan. Anyone who knows anything about the mini-bus knows that the heat never works. Yes, I had a car without heat in upstate Michigan. I never got hypothermia or frostbite.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'm the exact opposite. From the end of May until the end of September, I stay inside. From October to about mid-May, I spend as much of the day outside as I can.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I am SO READY for autumn. I seriously think I have reverse SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) during the summer months. (Yep, it's just not for winter...).

Same. I adore autumn and everything that comes with it - crisp air, leaves, pumpkins! Summer heat and sun make me absolutely miserable. Summer weather is like a prison for me.

I'm in north Texas, where it has been over 100 since June and up around 109 (or higher) every day this week. When I started my car last night, my thermometer read 120. It is in the low 90s when I'm driving to work around 8 in the morning! We stay hot pretty much from May through early October, but this summer has been quite unbearable. Think I may actually be residing in Hades.

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I wrote this some time ago about November...my favorite month. But it could be about Autumn generally. Dang. Now I'm thinkg about cool weather and fall fishing and its only the first of August.

Autumn is my favorite time of year. Here in Coastal North Carolina, November often brings the first frost. Schools of mullet migrate from the shallow salt marshes to the deeper sounds and to warmer water. Laughing gulls, with their happy summer chatter, disappear and are replaced by more sullen black-backed gulls. They come from the cold Arctic to stand atop our piers and pilings and silently squint into a brisk north wind. The smell of coconut tanning butter…and the squeals of happy children…are gone from our beaches. Walk along the North Carolina shore in November, and you can smell only the pungent salt air. You can hear only the hiss of the cold, grey surf on the empty sand.

But November brings gifts, too. The marsh turns a beautiful golden brown, especially at dawn and at dusk. Schools of hungry albacore appear in the ocean inlets and pounce mightily on every lure presented to them. Mountains of oysters fill local steamers every Saturday night...beer, Tabasco sauce and good times flow by the gallon. The weather chills and the scourge of mosquitoes, hurricanes and tourists disappear for another season.

And for a time, until April comes to steal them away again, November returns the ocean, beaches and marshes back to the humble Carolina natives who love them most.

AF

Well, that's just not being smart about the weather. I had my VW mini-bus when I lived in Michigan. Anyone who knows anything about the mini-bus knows that the heat never works. Yes, I had a car without heat in upstate Michigan. I never got hypothermia or frostbite.

And I am sure you never hiked 50 miles through it either as a Boy Scout. No matter how you prepare it is still cold. No thanks.

R.A. Stewart

Familiar Face
Wow, 28 pages of comments so far. I wonder if people with a vintage/retro/Golden Era turn of mind are more likely than others to love autumn.

I certainly do. I've always thought, for me, it's partly that in the academic world fall starts a new year; there's a sense of fresh starts and new possibilities. But beyond that there's the crisp air, the turning leaves, the quality of the light--and of course as the original poster said, Halloween! Not to mention, for some of us, being out from under the heat and feeling alive again.

Next favorites, in order, are spring, winter, and summer. Yes, I live in Chicago and prefer our long, brutal winter to our long, brutal summer. Summer does have its charms. I like the long days and the more leisurely pace, though it's not that much more leisurely once you're out of school. And it can be pleasant and fun on days when the temperature stays decently this side of ninety, nights cool off enough to sleep, and the humidity is low enough that you can breathe without gills. Trouble is, from late May through early September such days are increasingly rare here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy