Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Autumnal Thoughts........

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just got back from my mini Summer getaway (2 1/2 days at the Jesrey Shore:rolleyes:), so now I am READY for Fall!!! It looks like it will remain hot a for awhile but hopefully some cooler weather will return for September.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
We're hitting high 90s again this week. And the allergy index has been off the charts here. Everyone is miserable - including me. I hardly ever have trouble with my allergies, but this year is really bad. I am looking forward to the first frost!

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We're hitting high 90s again this week. And the allergy index has been off the charts here. Everyone is miserable - including me. I hardly ever have trouble with my allergies, but this year is really bad. I am looking forward to the first frost!

ME TOO! I've been sneezing like crazy. Looking forward to the first frost, which hasn't happened in years. We've really gone from Summer to Winter, which also means, no more Indian Summer.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
We've had a very rainy Summer - very mixed but that hasn't stopped it being one of the worst seasons for Hay Fever - I cannot wait for Autumn so I don't have to take antihistamines every day!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I tried the "non-drowsy" antihistamines and they don't work for me, so I sneeze my way through the day until bedtime when I can take some that will knock me out.

Our pollen watch is at the "high" level according to the Weather Channel, and it's supposed to get worse. :(

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I tried the "non-drowsy" antihistamines and they don't work for me, so I sneeze my way through the day until bedtime when I can take some that will knock me out.

Our pollen watch is at the "high" level according to the Weather Channel, and it's supposed to get worse. :(

I've had to try a few different brands and finally found one that works for me - nothing worse than sneezing all day, itchy eyes and my least favourite symptom - the itchy palate - drives me mad! I really thought Hay Fever season would be over by now!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Have any of you ladies tried local bee pollen? I used it for quite a while (during the day) and it was really helpful. Not as good as benedryl, but better than suffering (or falling asleep all day). I got it at a local natural foods/ health foods store. It needs to be pretty local, however, that way the bees gather the allergens that are what you are reacting to.

Have any of you ladies tried local bee pollen? I used it for quite a while (during the day) and it was really helpful. Not as good as benedryl, but better than suffering (or falling asleep all day). I got it at a local natural foods/ health foods store. It needs to be pretty local, however, that way the bees gather the allergens that are what you are reacting to.

I feed my canary babies bee pollen in their baby food. I take zyrtec. :p In fact, I just took some a few minutes ago. Nothing else works for me.

Flicka

One Too Many
We didn't have summer here this year -- there wasn't even a single week where the temperature crawled over 20°C at least once a day. I'm not a big summer fan, but really, for a good part of June we had the exact same weather as we did last Christmas and that's a bit depressing.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab

I hadn't heard of that before (don't think I have seen it in any local health food stores either but must keep an eye out). Luckily I don't get drowsy from antihistamines - Zirtek works well for me as does this new Irish made one from Eireceuticals (can't remember the name) - I get 24 hour relief from it and feel just fine (plus you get loads of tablets in one box and it's cheaper than Cetrine or Zirtek).

Kishtu

Practically Family
What really stinks is that the school holidays end in the UK next week - no summer = no playing out: no playing outdoors = no peace!
Another grey, mizzly day down here in the wet West. Apparently last Friday there were 15 mile tailbacks on the spine road out of county as holidaymakers packed up a day early to get home.

Hairy Bloke is also on the anti-histamines and yrs truly keeps getting bitten by the bugs flitting about in the malarial swamp that passes for our garden....

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up

Hmm. Never tried this. Might have to look into it!

Claritin D made me sleepy and caused my heart to do weird things. I might have to try Zyrtec, but man, the price is just unbelievable. But the way I've been sneezing my fool head off this morning AND filling the trash can with tissue, I may have to break down and buy it. I am MISERABLE.

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I've heard about the local bee pollen, but have never tried it. It makes sense, though. My local farmer's markets always have it available. I may pick some up!

I alternate between taking Zyrtec and Allegra. Just a tip (crazy coupon lady alert) but if you watch the Sunday newspapers, there are often $4 and $5 off coupons for Zyrtec and Allegra, which when combined with a sale (i.e. Target for $4.79) make the 5-count boxes less than $1 each. I typically prefer to just buy a big box instead of a smaller/trial size, but when I can get 4 5-ct. boxes (20 pills total) for under $4, my mind changes. I very rarely pay more than $1 for a box of medication.

If you prefer Claritin, Aldi sells a generic version that's quite inexpensive. And right now Target has a coupon on their website for $1.50 off any generic brand allergy medication.

Back to the original topic - we didn't have a fall OR a winter last year. Just the worst summer on record. Blech.

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
If you ladies try the bee pollen, it takes a while to work- a couple days or weeks- and you need to take it every day throughout the season. It's kind of "crunchy" and most people put it in a smoothie or yogurt. I took a full heaping teaspoon (not a measuring spoon, but a spoon) every day in a glass or two of water.

The other thing that worked really well for me was quercetin bromelain, which comes from the pineapple stem. QB works almost immediately like an allergen pill or within a day or two (if it will work for you).

With either one, I would check with your doctor.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I took my Zyrtec at 11 a.m. and it is nearing 2 p.m. I'm still sneezing and feel miserable, and am taking the afternoon off from work. Sigh...

Autumn, please, please come soon!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner