Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aviator Shearling jackets, b3, b6: Simmons Bilt vs Aero vs Eastman

Shin

Familiar Face
Hi

I am aware of the Alexander Leather/Simmons Bilt feud against Aero.
However, speaking strictly from the quality standpoint, what do you think about Simmons Bilt's quality vs. Aero? Is it comparable? Do you have any experience with that company?

Of those 3 companies based in the UK, which ones would you recommend? Eastman's price has been jacked up quite enormously these days, is it worth it?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Aero's patterns have been refined over and over to bring them into accuracy. The patterns that Will stole for SB/AL are no longer the ones that Aero use nowadays - the types of shearling has changed as well, the too-heavy, teddybear type of pre-2012 have been replaced with lighter more accurate ones that are far more wearable and flexible.

Shin

Familiar Face
Aero's patterns have been refined over and over to bring them into accuracy. The patterns that Will stole for SB/AL are no longer the ones that Aero use nowadays - the types of shearling has changed as well, the too-heavy, teddybear type of pre-2012 have been replaced with lighter more accurate ones that are far more wearable and flexible.

As far as I know, Aero's B3 still uses a 22mm shearling. This is still quite thick compared to Eastman's 17mm.
This guy got an Aero from 2015:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/b3-jacket-correct-length.83412/

As you can see from the pics, the Aero B3 is clearly much thicker than your typical Eastman, which is slimmer and trimmer.

LeFonque

One of the Regulars

Sloan knows his stuff.

zebedee

One Too Many
Both Aero and SB make solid jackets. SB will do you a full custom job, which Aero won't (which is fine). IMHO, some of Aero's patterns are better-looking. Construction-wise, the jackets are both high-end.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Eastman's jackets are fantastic IMHO & I've been a 'fan-boy' for a good 15 years plus and would hate to add up what I've spent with them.

The new price hike makes it more difficult to justify purchases, but won't necessarily stop me.

Given that my ELC jackets are regular wearers & I feel great in them, over the longer term makes them good buys. Should I ever need to sell, I also know they hold their value well (wore an A-2 to death for 10 years, eventually accepted the fit was too snug & moved it on for two thirds of the cost price). What did I do with the money? Put it towards another ELC A-2 :)

Reactions: Dav

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner