Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B3 - material vs $

ATotalNoob

New in Town
Hi all,

I've done a couple of searches here but I am still a little in the dark about B3s, so here goes...

I am looking for a B3 as a gift. Money, unfortunately, is a consideration for me but I don't want to buy junk either. With "you get what you pay for" in mind, I hoped someone here may help me weed out the good, the bad, and the ugly.

From what I'm seeing online, the Schotts and Cockpits are in the $1000 range, with Gibson and Barnes doing the $850s. I found some on American Mystique for $650 up, and then I've found a bunch of things I just can't begin to identify.

I was looking for Avirex but don't see them. Am I correct in understanding they became Cockpit?

I'm looking for help with two things, one of which is manufacturers with good reputation, and the other is jackets of real shearling. I am nothing short of overwhelmed with all the terminology I've found on Google, which leads me to think some of the stuff out there isn't even real sheep now.

So, as Schott, Cockpit, and G&B seem well-reviewed and I've found no complaints of fake materials, that leaves me knowing the least about the most-reasonably-priced one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's a Christmas gift, and I've already spent three weeks researching it, but I'm getting close to the wire on time.

Foster

One of the Regulars
There is an Eastman B-3 on eBay right now, but it is a smaller size. Someday I intend to upgrade mine to a better replica. About 10 years ago I bought one from What Price Glory (marked WPG) and it is real sheepskin, but the zipper and hardware and stitching is no comparison to an Eastman.

paulgt3

Familiar Face
Just for your info the Eastman new B-3 shipped to the US is $1,112 USD exactly. It came in today. It showed up regular
mail and there were no extra duties when it got to me. I had read that it might be more.
The quality exceeded my expectations. Having been in the military for 4 years and then as a Naval Scientist for 30 years,
I have had alot of government provided gear. Nothing comes close the the Eastman. Even the packing was in a sewed grain
sack (like a 50lb dog food bag) with the US Army Air Forces stamped on it with the Crewmans name size and style of jacket.
That was inside a nice Eastman Leather company box. All very nicely done and decent value.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Avirex's name has been bought by Japanese. With Yen's exchange rate, it is likely to be more expensive than Schott. Besides, Avirex Japan is not top manufacturer in Japan, their quality is not good.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Nothing comes close the the Eastman. Even the packing was in a sewed grain
sack (like a 50lb dog food bag) with the US Army Air Forces stamped on it with the Crewmans name size and style of jacket.
That was inside a nice Eastman Leather company box. All very nicely done and decent value.
If you had the option of $20 off the price if it came in a plain box with some bubble wrap would you have bought it with or without the fancy box and sack?
Just curious, John

I'm not anti Eastman by the way, I have four.

Edward

Bartender
If you had the option of $20 off the price if it came in a plain box with some bubble wrap would you have bought it with or without the fancy box and sack?
Just curious, John

I'm not anti Eastman by the way, I have four.

Interesting question! I have much more Aero product than Eastman myself. I suppose if they offered me money off to not have the Eastman box, I might go for it, but I do really like it.

Plumbline

One Too Many
The RiRi zips on the Eastman really put me off ..... sold both my B-3 and B-6 and changed them for Aero's, both 2nd hand and bought on ebay for less than £300.

The best value for money B-3 has to be the WPG one .. and it looks much better than you'd think for the money.

The best B-3 ... full stop .... is the Buzz Rickson ( but sizing is weird) or Lost Worlds ( which was my favourite repro. until someone offered me £800 for it ... it would appear that every jacket does have it's price in my world :) )

Had an Aivrex one some years ago but the binding was plastic !!!!!! WTF !!!!

Where is John Lever when you need him :)

HTH

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
I suppose totalnoob has already purchased a B3, but just for your info - I would mention both GB and US Authentic for a moderately priced, but still decent quality B3. Both companies are in the US, and this may save the american customer on the shipping as well as the sticker price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran