Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Balmoral Boots

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
RetroRich said:
Below is a typical British 'Dealer Boot'

215LP.jpg

They're very popular over here,in different guises,especially amongst the gypsy/travelling community whereby the name may originate.
Throughout the year,up & down the country,horse fairs are held.It is at these fairs,horses are bought & sold..in other words 'deals' concerning the horses are struck.Hundreds of pairs of this style of boot are sold at these fairs.
It's only a theory mind you...any others?

Near enough and the background is about right. The name and use differentiates the 'dealer' style from 'market' boots and riding boots. My favourite pair of boots (there is close competition in my shoe cabinet) are dealer boots by Loveson and were bought some years ago (when I did a bit of horse dealing) at Appleby fair. I notice on my occasional visits to horse fairs nowadays that the dealer boot has been largely replaced by the rubber Wellington boot and those awful canvas topped things. A pity.
Dealer boots
527countrybedales.jpg

Market boots
506countrynorwoods.jpg

Riding (jodhpur) boots
500fitzwilascots.jpg

Late edit - I have just remembered that some people (mistakenly IMO) include an elastic sided boot in the definition of Jodhpur boot. I suppose we then have to call the example above a 'strap Jodhpur boot', which some sellers do.

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
carter said:
Alan, Thanks for the information. BTW, did you ever post any photos of one of your Blackthorn Cudgels?

Carter,

No, I didn't. I intended to do so, but didn't get around to it, for which I apologise. I haven't made one for a while and I tend to pass them on as fast as I can finish them, but I thought I had some photos of ones I had done in my 'My Pictures' folder, but I can't find them so I assume I have deleted them. I find posting photos on the Web difficult for a variety of technological, sociological and psychological reasons, but apart from that it's not a problem...

Anyway, I have my own personal knobstick and a couple of examples of vintage 'loaded' sticks and canes that I can show you, perhaps with a brief explanation of the history etc. of English and Irish sticks.

I am off to Italy at the week-end, If I don't manage to post before Friday I will do it when I come back.

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Alan- I'll see your knobstick and raise a you knobkerrie.
My Father had a collection of these mean clubs, from the darkest of lands.

Matron.

Ah, yes. I was planning to discourse briefly on the knobkerrie as well as the shillelagh and the English knobstick. And on the merits of blackthorn and bog oak. And the people who carried and used them. Would you like to start a new thread and I'll join in when I get back from Italy?

Alan

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by Alan Eardley
Anyway, I have my own personal knobstick and a couple of examples of vintage 'loaded' sticks and canes that I can show you, perhaps with a brief explanation of the history etc. of English and Irish sticks.

I am off to Italy at the week-end, If I don't manage to post before Friday I will do it when I come back.

That would be excellent. If it doesn't happen until after your trip, that would still be great. Looks like BellyTank may have some wisdom to impart as well.

Enjoy your trip.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
Not particularly...
...oh, go on then.

Have a nice Italy, Alan.
Envy.
Ah! I need another installment of Crete.

B
T

For Crete you need to speak to the expert - John the Greek!

As for you two and your personal Celtic/Sth African weapons...:eek: :eek: may the best assailant win!

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
Saronama said:
I am about to order a pair of these M5-102 boots from Otsuka, to wear with my morning coat as a wedding outfit. What do you think? :p

102-color-b_r.jpg

Otsuka M5-102

Say, those seem swell! I've been looking for a set to pair with my frock suit. Unfortunately I don't read Japanese. Would you mind telling me what the options are on these, and how much they're asking for a pair?

Congratulations and Thanks in Advance,

T.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana