Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barmah Hats

Goose.

Practically Family
Just got back from the County Fair. Went into the vendor area and the very first stall was selling hats.

Australian Outlet from up in N. Cal. The store where I bought my first Akubra...Sydney. That was over a decade ago and the hat is still kicking.

Anyway, I asked, in order to compare prices, "do you have a Sydney". Reply, "no...we only have Akubra, Barmah, and Tilley hats here". :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

The guy looks at my hat and says, "if you like fedoras, you should get an Akubra". I thought my wife was gonna pee her pants. She said, very politely, "oh, he knows about Akubra". I took off my Hayman and showed him the Akubra label.

There's about the whole conversation but ya had to be there. BUT, in all fairness, the gent did state that he was simply "helping" man the booth.

Cool, at least to me, that my wife actually bought a Barmah. Never thought I'd see that happen. She's "borrowed" (aquired) my Hampton and a couple of Kangols, but this one she picked and bought. A meshy gig that suits her quite well. It was 97F out and sparse shade. When she went outside of the vendor building she said "wow! What a difference!". I replied, "you bet".

Looking at Barmah lids online since getting home, I'm thinking that the Squashy Roo would be a good hat for the rainy days as opposed to one of my felts.

Am interested in opinions of anyone that has one. I'm not too hip on the bush style...but there's a point where form, fit, and function collectively takes over.

So, finally; how does the Sqaushy Roo hold up in the rain? Not so much the shape, but in keeping your noggin dry...and in shrikage after drying

Thanks in advance...
Goose.

http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=38&returncat=Barmah+Hats&returnpage=0

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hey, Goose.

I bought one of those 'squashy roo' hats years ago. It's been on many hikes and it's good for that since it's tough, water resistant, packable and the brim is flexible enough to work with a high backpack. Mine is solid kangaroo leather, not mesh on top. It'd hold water like a bucket but it has holes mid-way in the crown for ventilation and a stampede string.

The crown on the hat was small to begin with. That's their style. I haven't been in too many rain storms in it but just wearing the thing and sweating in it has shrunken the crown even more. It's comical looking to me now that I am used to wearing nice vintage fedoras - but it is a totally different type of headgear than those so I excuse it.

This is mine:

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

Goose.

Practically Family
Hey Gene!!!
Thanks! :eusa_clap

EXACTLY what I was looking for response wise...well, except for the crown taper gig. Think I'll get one around fall.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Watch out for mould!

I don't really wear mine as I find it a bit hot and heavy so I've relegated it to the shed.

We had a pretty wet summer in Sydney and just last month I noticed that the suede underside had turned nice mottled shade of blue!
:eek:

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
elvisroe said:
I don't really wear mine as I find it a bit hot and heavy so I've relegated it to the shed.

We had a pretty wet summer in Sydney and just last month I noticed that the suede underside had turned nice mottled shade of blue!
:eek:

I could understand that happening to a leather item stored essentially outside. I have old leather chairs on my porch and with the rainy, steamy conditions here, I have to stay on top of them or they get mildewed. I think these hats are not in danger if stored in the house when not in use.

----------

Goose; glad to be of any assistance.

Goose.

Practically Family
Elvisroe...interesting point.
The Hats Direct team advised that I treat it with leather conditioner from time to time. Maybe that will keep that blue away.

I plan to wear it in the rain, so, while I too HPG am a fedora fan, I figured that this would be good for winter, beach, camping, or whatever...a kickaround lid.

And yes HPG, your pic did it for me...so thank you. That hat screamed one word to me; "Character". I hope I can wear my hat to the point that, like when I saw your pics, it says the same :eusa_clap

And, Elvisroe...if I ever go lost while hiking in the Blue Mountains National Park of Australia, you can bet that I would be found wearing that hat or one of my Akubras when I sign my book deals ;) Or my bones will be close by the said hat :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Goose. said:

And, Elvisroe...if I ever go lost while hiking in the Blue Mountains National Park of Australia, you can bet that I would be found wearing that hat or one of my Akubras when I sign my book deals ;) Or my bones will be close by the said hat :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

Perhaps you could market a signature lid!

That lost backpacker's old man was certainly better kitted out for the Aussie sun than his kid...
0,,6721614,00.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Goose I have had a leather hat for years that took the Florida sun and heat and the winters of the Northeast.

I have not treated it with anything it is as soft and supple as the day I bought it. Please note, I treat my leathers goods with the appropriate materials very carefully. However, this one is doing just fine.;)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I am now reminded that the guy who originally sold me mine (a vendor at a festival who specialized in these hats) told me to occasionally treat it with beeswax to ensure it would be waterproof. I was never able to find beeswax in a form I could apply for that purpose so I gave up on the idea. Hasn't caused any problems for me - but I bet the advice is sound. The only beeswax I could find was in a hard block. I suppose some form of salve may be out there for waterproofing leather. (??)

Goose.

Practically Family
Hey Elvisroe...thanks for posting that pic. I saw one where the dad was in the hospital next to his bedridden son. The dad was wearing that same hat. Was thinking the kid should've stopped in The Hattery (aka on the web: Hats Direct) to get a hat since he was right there in Katoomba ;)

Also, thanks to CB and HPG...I hope my Roo won't shrink too much. Got a size up just in case. Hickory colored.

Based on what Gene mentioned, maybe I will try some of this jazz that I just looked up: http://myobeeswaxproducts.stores.yahoo.net/beleco.html

Woodfluter

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene said:
I am now reminded that the guy who originally sold me mine (a vendor at a festival who specialized in these hats) told me to occasionally treat it with beeswax to ensure it would be waterproof. I was never able to find beeswax in a form I could apply for that purpose so I gave up on the idea. Hasn't caused any problems for me - but I bet the advice is sound. The only beeswax I could find was in a hard block. I suppose some form of salve may be out there for waterproofing leather. (??)

Gene, I know that Sno-Seal is labeled as a beeswax waterproofing, or at least used to be. I think it's a suspension of beeswax in some kind of oil. I've used that on hiking boots for...forever. It does a fine job of waterproofing but can leave softer leathers a bit stiff as the oil slowly vaporizes over the long haul.

A leather cap I have has taken many such treatments - I re-applied about every year because it would get stiff and the oil in Sno-Seal would soften it again. Then I figured it out. Might be OK for a stiffer hat.

You can apply beeswax in cake form to leather by heating it up, and the leather also, and rubbing it in. I've done that with knife sheaths because it leaves the leather very hard, very stiff and very waterproof. Not for hats unless you want serious impact protection!

- Bill

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Ah finally, the snow bound Canadian gets to share his unique knowledge :)

The beeswax that Goose linked to is the stuff to use, basically it's beeswax as a paste. The best way to apply it is to heat the leather first so the wax melts and soaks into it. Just rubbing it on isn't as good. A hair dryer works well. Don't overdo it or when it all cools down you'll find a thin coat of wax over everything.

Sno-seal does indeed use beeswax and is silicone free. More info here:

http://www.atsko.com/products/waterproofing/sno-seal.html

I have a leather sheep's skin bomber hat and I treat that yearly with dubbin or mink oil (dubbin is made from wax, tallow and oil and dates back to medieval times) and that works wonders for waterproofing as well as keeping the leather supple without over doing it. There are some concerns that because the oils are animal based there can be some issues with the fats going rancid, but I've never encountered it. If you are worried about that, the fats in mink oil are considered to be far less prone to cause any issues like that. Again, I've been using dubbin and mink oil for decades and have never had any issues.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
There seems to be different philosophies, as well as products, for treating leather. For treating baseball gloves, my research points to non-treated petroleum jelly as one of the best conditioners for leather. The jelly leaves the pores of the leather open and keeps the leather from hardening. Baseball gloves, of course, aren't typically used in a rainstorm, but they are subject to a lot of sweating.

Goose.

Practically Family
YOO WHOO! MY SQUASHY ROO!!!!

Arrived this afternoon.
Squashy Roo Hickory.

Fits nice. Been wearing it around for a few hours. Love it.

Am thinking that the crown will shrink...has a bit of a front taper...but what the heck. It's just loose enough where I think it will be ok. Plus if I put in the stretcher now and then to retain shape then do the leather treatment, it should be ok (trying to convince myself...play along ;)).

Hey, for half a bill...no complaints.

It is, indeed, "squashy". Arrived in a flat envelope. Having never touched a kangaroo or eaten a roo'burger, can't speak to the "roo'iness" of it though.

Sure smells good. I think I've gone over the edge...smelling my hat.

Cheers and thanks to Harp Player Gene for the pics and others for their posts!

606674272_vZWT3-M.jpg

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Nice hat, Goose!

So, they squish flat? Who'd have thunk? And it sprang back up to that shape...that's cool. :eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Goose. said:
Arrived this afternoon.
Squashy Roo Hickory.

Fits nice. Been wearing it around for a few hours. Love it.

It is, indeed, "squashy". Arrived in a flat envelope. Having never touched a kangaroo or eaten a roo'burger, can't speak to the "roo'iness" of it though.

Sure smells good. I think I've gone over the edge...smelling my hat.
Cheers and thanks to Harp Player Gene for the pics and others for their posts!

lol lol lol lol lol Goose, you are ..... the funniest!!! I love your posts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy