Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barnstormer Regrets?

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
Can't argue with highhope,that's about as much experience as you could possibly hope for,using the jacket for exactly what it was designed.
I have a H/H stockman with alpaca in a 42,it's stiff and I wouldn't like to layer much beneath it,I don't wear it when it's really cold.I have 2 schott 573s, (they're probably cut a little more like veste de rallyes)they're both 44s and because they're mid weight cow,they're much softer and I can put as many layers under them as I like without feeling restricted.The point is the leathers are essentially just your windproof shell,it's the layers underneath that give you the warmth,(in the cold snap we just had I was wearing 3 thin merino layers under a big shawl collared cardigan,the 573 over just stopped the wind whipping all that warmth away).I really wouldn't fancy putting aero H/H over that lot,you wouldn't be able to bend your arms!

Philalethes

A-List Customer
The point is the leathers are essentially just your windproof shell,it's the layers underneath that give you the warmth,(in the cold snap we just had I was wearing 3 thin merino layers under a big shawl collared cardigan,the 573 over just stopped the wind whipping all that warmth away).I really wouldn't fancy putting aero H/H over that lot,you wouldn't be able to bend your arms!

Good points. Initially I thought a heavily-wool-lined Barnstormer could provide a nice windproof/waterproof shell and a warm thermal layer underneath - analogous to a wool-lined leather glove. But as you and others have mentioned, I don't want an overcoat to fit like a glove, since I would need several additional underlayers to keep warm in cold weather, and the design and heavy horsehide of the Barnstormer may not be conducive towards that end. If I do get a Barnstormer or something like it, I would now probably treat it as a warmer winter weather coat.

Edward

Bartender
I love the design of the Barnstormer, though I would want to add about 18" in length. I have a notion on eventually ordering one with a shearling lining (but not collar - I'd go for a separate, removable mouton affair for that) for wearing over a suit on cold Winter days, or on very cold, wet days, both occasions when an Irvin or B3, warm as they are, are not ideal.

JLStorm

Practically Family
If you want true warmth the shearling lined barnstorm would keep you warm, but unless you are going to be spending your time walking or on a bike, I'd skip it. Its just too thick and heavy to drive in. Someone else suggested Filson, I really like their wool packer coat, I think that is a bit more realistic. Really, any winter coat that is too far below the waist and is thick will be tough to drive in.

Edward

Bartender
If you want true warmth the shearling lined barnstorm would keep you warm, but unless you are going to be spending your time walking or on a bike, I'd skip it. Its just too thick and heavy to drive in. Someone else suggested Filson, I really like their wool packer coat, I think that is a bit more realistic. Really, any winter coat that is too far below the waist and is thick will be tough to drive in.

I imagine that's an issue for a lot of folks - fortunately something I can avoid, as living in central London I have no need of a car. I can well imagine, though, if I did drive I'd not want something as long as a lot of my overcoats. I just can't get past the fantastic silhoette of a long coat... :) The only real question mark with the shearling in a Barnstormer would be how often I might wear it, though my B3 and Irvin have certainly had a lot of wear in the time I've owned them... Maybe a light shearling, like the B6, rather than B3/Irvin would be the ticket.

Last edited:

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
I've always approached this the same way I approach technical mountain/water sports gear,lots of thin layers are far more adaptable than one thick layer.With a shearling lined H/H you're stuck with either wearing it or not,obviously,if you had the leather as one layer and the shearling(wool) as another you're going to cover a far greater range of temperatures by taking off/putting on as needed.I must add my viewpoint is coloured by living in Cornwall,I spend most of my time in a car,it's impossible to get around without one,kind of explains my love of vestes de rallye/carcoats,and as mentioned before,driving in H/H is a real pain.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab

l0fielectronic

Practically Family

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Aha, found it on here too... http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...oy-no-wimps-allowed.6528/page-14#post-1092831

FrontWorn.jpg

kronos77

One of the Regulars
I think for Philadlephia winters the Barnstormer with alpaca and a layer or two should be all you need. Of course discussions about what is warm enough are all relative.

CBI

One Too Many
the Barnstormer makes quite a statement. Have you considered some cloth option long coats? IMO, the Barnstormer almost draws too much attention to itself. Of course, you want warmth but maybe some other options. The Barnstormer IS an awesome jacket!

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Chromexcel does stiffen up a bit in cold weather. If that is a concern maybe try a different leather. I just got some midweight samples and the oil pull is a beautiful leather that would make a great Barnstormer.

zebedee

One Too Many
I always wanted a Barnstormer but was afraid that I'd look like a 40 year old Live Action Role Player. They're beautiful things, but there's so damn much of them. In the end I went for a Stockman, which means that I can now just look like a 40 year old baddie.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
As far as I'm aware, only the cordovan FQHH has there been any problem of colour transfer in the past. I'm not sure what the situation is now as I know that Aero has tried to address this.
Here's my LHB. I don't find it too heavy or too warm. The thing about a barnstormer, I've always thought, is that the belt helps to take a lot of the weight of the leather.

Plumbline

One Too Many
The Brarnstormer is a heavy beast and shearling lined it's even heavier .. I've had a number of Barnstormers and have kept only one - a steer hide Black one ( from the Thunderbay Range ) with red check blanket lining. It's plenty warm and much more flexible than the FQHH. Great jacket and plenty warm for the UK winter and big enough for layering and a scarf for even the Chicago winter. I had SB put two inside pockets ( vertical like the G-1 at the lining edge ) which work brilliantly for phone etc ... the chest pockets are largely superfluous TBH ( for me ) but they're a nice design feature. The belt I seldom use and it's fastened at the back usually like a big cinch strap. It's dressy enough to travel and work in and goes fine with a shirt and dress trousers.

My winter "leather" jacket of choice for the USA is my Shearling lined, mouton collared, cord lined sleeve LHB ( MW FQHH rather than std heavy FQHH .. the leather has little thermal properties and therefore the weight reduction of the hide makes little difference to the performance of the shell) it's like wearing D-1 under a LHB :) or my ANJ-4 .... you really can't beat the USAF Shearlings in winter IMHO .... they ROCK.

HOWEVER

Neither of the above will out perform a decent down jacket for warmth / weight and winter performance.

Just MHO

Peacoat

Bartender
The Brarnstormer is a heavy beast and shearling lined it's even heavier .. I've had a number of Barnstormers and have kept only one - a steer hide Black one ( from the Thunderbay Range ) with red check blanket lining. It's plenty warm and much more flexible than the FQHH. Great jacket and plenty warm for the UK winter and big enough for layering and a scarf for even the Chicago winter. I had SB put two inside pockets ( vertical like the G-1 at the lining edge ) which work brilliantly for phone etc ... the chest pockets are largely superfluous TBH ( for me ) but they're a nice design feature. The belt I seldom use and it's fastened at the back usually like a big cinch strap. It's dressy enough to travel and work in and goes fine with a shirt and dress trousers.

My winter "leather" jacket of choice for the USA is my Shearling lined, mouton collared, cord lined sleeve LHB ( MW FQHH rather than std heavy FQHH .. the leather has little thermal properties and therefore the weight reduction of the hide makes little difference to the performance of the shell) it's like wearing D-1 under a LHB :) or my ANJ-4 .... you really can't beat the USAF Shearlings in winter IMHO .... they ROCK.

HOWEVER

Neither of the above will out perform a decent down jacket for warmth / weight and winter performance.

Just MHO
Agreed. Also, I have three Aeros; two in FQHH and one steer. I have found they stiffen up considerably when the temps go below freezing. The farther below freezing, the stiffer they get. Not a major factor, but it is a factor.

One of my Aeros is lined with Alpaca. I haven't found it to be particularly warm. What is warm is the ThunderBay with the shearling. For cold weather I go with the ThunderBay, a down coat or a peacoat with a heavy sweater to reduce the air transfer. Of the three, the down coat and the peacoat are the most comfortable to wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland