Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty at Middle Age and Beyond

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I think the most fortunate actresses are those who can gracefully go from leading lady to character actress. They can work until they are very old.

Some women who were leading ladies and later character actresses:

Bette Davis (who also was not afraid to play an unglamorous role when she was young, unlike most leading ladies of her era) and later played all sorts of roles.

Ethel Barrymore -- Yes, she was an ingenue on the stage and later played all sorts of roles when she was old. I am wondering if her great niece, Drew, will be able to do so.

Meryl Streep is doing this as we speak.

Shelly Winters, who played ingenue roles in the early 50's and lots of character roles after that, winning Oscars in the process.

Lots of English actresses, who have the best theatre training in world, can play all sorts of roles, Dench is one them, and Mirren. The last time I saw Vanessa Redgrave in a movie, she looked pretty good, too. And she can act.

Many times these women lost their "glamour" looks, but continued to work in good roles. Others disappeared or retired.

One woman I think looks awfully good in her middle age is Demi Moore. She is in her early 40's; to me that is a baby, but the truth is she is middle aged.

Another actress who did better when she was middle aged than when she was young is one of my very favorite actresses, Irene Pappas. She did some of her best work in her 40's and 50's, onstage and in the movies. I saw her on the stage in 1981 in a Greek play. Fantastic classical actress.

karol

Etienne

A-List Customer
Speaking of beautiful women, Pretty Square Girl, I am curious about your avatar. I know I have seen that picture before but I can't recall exactly where! Care to share any info? It has a really lovely, feminine charm to it. Is it a sketch of a film star or ???

Thanks! Etienne

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
PrettySquareGal said:
Can a woman be older *and* sexy? I guess it's a matter of personal preference...

Other girls besides Joan Crawford, yes.

Liz Hurley and Famke Janssen are both 40+. Rene Russo was amazing in Thomas Crown Affair. I almost always have a thing for the mom's on TV shows.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Etienne said:
Speaking of beautiful women, Pretty Square Girl, I am curious about your avatar. I know I have seen that picture before but I can't recall exactly where! Care to share any info? It has a really lovely, feminine charm to it. Is it a sketch of a film star or ???

Thanks! Etienne

Etienne you flatter me. You have not seen this picture before- it is unpublished and I am not famous, not even in the local police blotter. :( I simply took a self-shot of myself while holding my guinea pig, made the image monochrome and then added a "pencil drawing" filter to the image. :)

Thank you for making my morning.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Two More Ladies for Your List...

Pam Grier- think Jackie Brown (I know its a Tarantino flick, but the script was by Elmore Leonard).

Catherine Deneuve- still making movies and still clasically beautiful.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer

I was just talking about these names with a girl friend last night:

3 Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio (b. 1958)
2 Michelle Pfeiffer (b. 1958)
1 Ellen Barkin (b. 1954)

There aren't all that many blondes I find all that attractive. Must be I don't have the gene or something. But those top two, well, I need say no more. Here's a photo of Ellen Barkin from last year

ellenb.jpg

jake431

Practically Family
Hondo said:
Yes to all mentioned are fine ladies, but lets not for get Susan Sarandon, still looks great! ;)

Thank you! Gina Gershon anyone? She's over 40, not that you could tell. And how about Annette Benning?

-Jake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR