Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty Bargains

jayem

A-List Customer
OH! How can I forget?

LUX SOAP!

This stuff cleared my skin better than Proactiv, Acne Free Complex, Purpose Soap, or any other brand out there. I wash with it 2-3 times a day, and it makes my skin almost flawless. Plus, it's a vintage goodie. Good luck finding it anywhere though, I had to order it online in bulk because they don't sell individual bars anywhere.

epr25

Practically Family
Ok, Lux has several different kinds that come up when you google it. What kind worked on your face? I will try anything! I have been using the honey aspirin thing but if I could just use soap that would be so much easier!

MissHannah

One Too Many
desi_de_lu_lu said:
Ok, don't throw rocks at me.

But I tried the COTY Airspun powders and is it me, or does it just sit on your face?

I feel like the powder accentuates every little line in your skin.

Thumbs down for me on this one. dang.

I will stick to my Besame I suppose..........

NOT just you - it does the same to me. Maybe it just depends on your skin type - mine is a little dry. I can't recommend Estee Lauder Aeromatte highly enough however. Not cheap at about £21 but I got a refill for £4 on ebay.

jayem

A-List Customer
epr25 said:
Ok, Lux has several different kinds that come up when you google it. What kind worked on your face? I will try anything! I have been using the honey aspirin thing but if I could just use soap that would be so much easier!

Oops, yeah I should've been clearer. The regular old white bar with the blue wrapped paper.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
MissHannah said:
NOT just you - it does the same to me. Maybe it just depends on your skin type - mine is a little dry.

Jitterbugdoll recommends patting your skin with icy cold water on a cotton ball after powdering, have you tried this trick? It sets the powder and takes the flour-y look away.

BlancheDubois

Familiar Face
Coty Airspun powder I apply with a velour powder puff by patting and pressing into my forehead, nose, around the mouth, and chin. I use little dots of Max Factor Pan-Stik on my eyelids (applied with my fingertip -- the warmth melts it a bit) as shadow base, and top this with a little Airspun powder, also patted in with my fingertip.

I don't apply any powder to my cheeks and sides of the face around the cheekbone and jawline area. I use a cream blush topped with a powder blush on the apples of my cheeks. This makes the cheek area glow and avoids the overly powdery look for me.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
NOT just you - it does the same to me. Maybe it just depends on your skin type - mine is a little dry. I can't recommend Estee Lauder Aeromatte highly enough however. Not cheap at about £21 but I got a refill for £4 on ebay.

Mmm..sometimes there are certain things that are worth the money. I will have to look at your recommendation. I believe you and I have the same type of skin and complexion. Thanks for the tip.

Desi

leaette

A-List Customer
powder looks horrible on me if my skin is dry. to overcome this, i put on extra mosturizer on before applying the powder.

i don't have this problem in the summer. only winter.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Well, I gave the Coty a try, even tried the other tricks the gals gave me, and I broke out.

I haven't had a problem like this in years. I don't know if it is the perfume in the powder, or the powder itself.

Well, so much for that!

THanks everyone on the tips, though. I guess I have to start a "Beauty - not so Bargain, but worth the money thread." (and add Besame and Shisheido powders to the list.) lol

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
leaette said:
powder looks horrible on me if my skin is dry. to overcome this, i put on extra mosturizer on before applying the powder.

i don't have this problem in the summer. only winter.

Do you set your powder after applying it? I spray my face with a gentle toner and that does the trick.

epr25

Practically Family
I am not that versed about powder but I would like to learn. What is this about setting the powder with something? Does that take the fuzzy look away and just leave the nice skin look?

Jojo

New in Town
reading this thread there is something that suprises me. And that is that brands like maybelline and rimmel are so expensive here in holland.
Under 7 euro it is hard to find good make up. we have a couple of cheap brands over here. but most of it is always sold out.
the dream matte mouse costs € 10.99. and all the rimmel products just like the mascara's are not cheaper then about 8 euro i think. and for a student that's a lot of money.
I hope this comment does not sound angry or something. i was just only surprised.

kerouacgrl

New in Town
jayem said:
Palmer's Olive Butter Formula w/ Vitamin E ($4ish) I put it on every night and my skin has never been smoother. It smells wonderful, too.

I have to second the recommendation for Palmer's Olive Butter Formula, I have been using it for a few weeks now and my skin is so soft. Also, it absorbs into the skin quickly, so you won't feel like you are leaving lotion on everything you touch (this is a pet peeve of mine). :p

anabolina

A-List Customer
Has anyone on here tried the NYC (New York Color) nail polishes. I picked up the Long Lasting Nail Enamel in Cashmere Creme on clearance for $.49 and am seriously impressed with the quality. I usually buy Sally Hanson or OPI, but if the rest of them are as good as the nail polish I'm wearing right now, then I've found my HG nail polish. I have a tendancy to scape and peel at nail polish on my nails, but for some reason, this nail polish doesn't make me feel any need to play with it. I've been wearing it for 3 days and it actually looks just as good now as right after I applied it. I didn't even bother with a top coat for it. This stuff is awesome.

Oh, and cashmere creme is a beautiful baby blue pearlized color. I just picked up Big Apple Red Creme (red), Glitzy Grape Glitter(light pink), and Broadway Burgundy Frost (dark red). I know the names aren't nearly as cute and cool as the OPI ones, but I actually like the quality of these much more, even though they don't have as much selection, at least they cost a lot less at $1.00 each. :)

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Hard as glass - Nails

I bought this bottle of "Gelous Advanced Nail Gel Coat" from Sally's Beauty Supply.

If you have ever had acrylics taken off, or have thin brittle nails, this is the nail polish for you. Can be used as top coat or base coat or both.

2 coats later your nails are as hard as glass.
3 coats later you can deflect speeding bullets
4 coats later and you can chip diamonds.

Seriously, get it. It is the hardest nail hardener on the market and it has moisturizing properties.

It is only $4.99

alexandra

Practically Family
I won't lie, I use dollar store liquid eyeliner and dollar store mascara every day and have done for about 6 years.

The liquid eyeliner is as good as any other one I've ever tried and the mascara is pretty good too. It's fairly average and doesn't pretend to have any tricks up its sleeve (except lasting a long time and costing a dollar) so I bend the brush when I take it out of the container like an 'L' shape and it gets every single one of my lashes perfectly.

No complaints!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy