Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Been dropping the pounds.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Just thought I'd show some pics of what i used to look like versus now. I feel much better and I can find more clothes that fit.

meandval-vi.jpg
wind3-vi.jpg

Expo7-vi.jpg

Now
AdamHomburg1-vi.jpg
Optimoprofile-vi.jpg
indygear22.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Good work Slim...

Well done-
I have had the opposite situation in recent years- put weight on-
now a lot of my old vintage collection won't fit- too many pies...
But now I'm doing more exercise and eating better.
Any real-world hints for losing weight?
BELLY(not for nothing)Tank.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
Any real-world hints for losing weight?
BELLY(not for nothing)Tank.

I lost about 50lbs on the Atkins diet. The key to making it work in a healthy way is to avoid the so-called "low carb" products. When I first started the diet, there were no such products out there. The diet was just lower fat meats and steamed vegetables and lots of green salads, very healthy. Now, people waste all their carb alloments on "low carb" (they're really not if you read the label) soy chips, muffins and breads, eat no veggies and wonder why they feel bad and blame it on the diet.

kamikat

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
New Years comes around, and a new resolution to work out and get into better shape... it's good to see you've made it last longer then the second week of January 2004 and well into January 2005. I'm proud of you buddy.

Some of you may be happy to read I can't type as much as I usually do because I've over worked my arm with the weights.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Matt, you are looking gooood!

And you look better for it too, so here's hoping you 'feel' better for it my friend. Can I ask you Matt, what is the hat you are wearing in your avatar, as it looks great!...? There is also an olive coloured one too in your pics, which I really like.
Happy New Year to the New Look you!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
PADDY said:
And you look better for it too, so here's hoping you 'feel' better for it my friend. Can I ask you Matt, what is the hat you are wearing in your avatar, as it looks great!...? There is also an olive coloured one too in your pics, which I really like.
Happy New Year to the New Look you!

The one in the Avatar is a bound edge Tobacco colored light weight that Graham Thompson at Optimo hats made.

Olive huh? The Tobacco color does have a bit of an olive tinge to it, goes great with my eyes.

The dark hats (only two) are tobacco Optimos. The off white is a vintage borsalino.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Matt, if I could whistle on the forum I would...lookin' good. I wish I could be so dedicated. How many pounds total have you lost?

My dad likes to joke around that he's lost 50 pounds in the last year...
Lost 15....gained 10...lost 15....gained 15....lost 20....gained 5 (you get the picture).

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Like Kamikat said, stay away from the fad foods and stick to the real stuff.
Sort of a cave man diet. You know... kill the animal, eat it 'til is smells, while you hunt for another animal you eat Vegetables. Once in a while a time traveler comes back and I get a pizza or an Oreo cookie shake from Jack in the Box. The main things I main thing I have cut out is drinking sugar sodas.

I started out by walking every night as well and it has escalated into working out at home with DVDs.

I have never eaten so many vegetables in my life, and I feel healthy until I take the Mcnugget run which happen's every so often.

About 50 pounds lost. In the UK that's bad -- in the US that is good.

Brad A. Cox

Familiar Face
I was fat so my doctor told me to lose weight. So I lost fifty pounds and then my doctor said that I looked to skinny and that I needed to gain weight. So I started lifting weights and I gained seventy pounds back. "Eat more", he said. I got board of lifting weights and most of my suites wouldn't fit anymore. Now I am gonna be big and fat at the same time. I am gonna get a new doctor and then go on your diet plan. I don't know about the caveman thing. :hamburger

be_lovely

One of the Regulars
I lost over 145 lbs thru gastric bypass, but its still hard to loose the additional 30 i need to drop. I have been doing meat and veggies, dancing, and walking. Its melting now, just 5 lbs alone last week. (Could also be stress)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap That's awesome Matt! :eusa_clap
You look great! I'm proud of you. It's especially important for you guys to stay fit as it's more of a health risk for y'all.

I've lost 81 pounds on the CORE plan. It is Weight Watcher's newest plan, they have two. I always said if they could mix Atkins with WW it would be perfect for me and that's pretty much it!

All lean meats, all veggies, all fruits, whole wheat pastas, whole grains, skim milk, ff cheese, and a bit more. You are allowed to eat as much as you "need" to feel satisfied of the core list. But you also get 35 points a week to eat whatever you want. Like a small sundae from Dairy Queen is 5 points, average slice of pizza :pizza: is 7 points, a margarita is a whopping 11 points, and so on. I usually spend my points on real cheese or ice cream, whatever. I eat steak, meatloaf, chili, bbq, salads, grilled veggies, ect.

Basically cook from scratch, no sugar, and shop around the outer perimeter of the grocery store. This is the easiest plan I've ever been on, so black and white, and practical for LIFE.

Enjoy buying new clothes Matt! ;) You deserve to brag!
Nikki
(before and afters here)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85469550@N00/sets/72157600477997579/

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
Congrats everyone battling weight and winning!
You are doing great!!!

I dropped weight to keep it off and it took 5 years.
I didn't change what I ate...just when I ate.

How I did it was:

1/2 gallon of water per day which is 8-8ounce glasses or to make it seem less (4 of those .5L water bottles)

No fast food except for once per week to treat yourself. (this is why I don't eat out to this day)

No eating 4 hours before you go to bed.

And that's it. The weight came off slow, about a pants size per year. But it stayed off better than any diet I ever tried.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I started doing Body for Life a few weeks ago after about six months following my accident and illness. I'm never hungry and I feel great. There are no clubs to join, I work out at home, and I didn't have to turn my life upside down. I work out about three hours per week.

I did it for three years and when I started, I went down two pants sizes within a few months.

Body for Life is a book by Bill Phillips that describes the program of eating, lifting weights and aerobic exercise. Your library should have it.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
The main things I main thing I have cut out is drinking sugar sodas.

It's amazing how much the sodas make a difference. My dad told me sometime in the past year that if you cut out sodas, but change absolutely nothing else about your diet or exercise routine, you naturally lose 15 pounds over the course of a year. That is am amazing difference.

I've cut out sodas for the most part. I only have a coke every now and then when I truly feel I'm craving it and it would give me a needed sugar boost; maybe once a month at most. Otherwise, water and iced tea for me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot