Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beltback fabric

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Benny Holiday said:
I have a question I'd like to put to you guys.

Some years ago, a friend of mine was getting married and he wanted a special suit made up for the special day. He asked me if I'd take him to my tailor, a request I was very happy to help with. The style of suit he decided on was a SBPL suit with the half belt in back. His choice of fabric was a sharp-looking Holland & Sherry wool, black with white pinstripes.

Well, the suit looked the bomb. The tailor, Mario Valenti, had the stripes going horizontally along the belt in the back, which looked fine to my pre-Fedora Lounge eyes.

Anyway, as I've come to appreciate so much more visual info from suits posted here and all the great catalogue scans, I've noticed that beltback suits seem to have come in all manner of plain, tweed, and overplaid fabrics, but I've yet to see one in pinstripes. Why is that? Were pinstripes considered too formal or businesslike a pattern for a more sporting-designed garment?
And if there were pinstriped beltbacks, did the stripes continue vertically down across the belt, or did they break and go across horizontally, like Mario did with the suit he made?

(Yes, I know that's actually two questions . . . apologies!

Benny clean you box out I need to send you a PM

C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart