Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best deals for Indy Hats

Bart

Familiar Face
Being new to the Lounge, Gents, I thought you could direct me to where to find a good deal for an Indy hat. Have been reading your posts a few weeks and I'm getting "Fedora Fever". I don't think I could start from the "ground up" with an open crown and flat brim. Also I'm wondering how to figure the brim width for one's facial features. Your suggestions greatly appreciated, Bart.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Indy solutions

Bart,
If you want something movie-acurate, you'll have to go custom. For that, I guess Steve "Fedora" Delk is the expert, or go to COW. If you want a simple solution that isn't an exact copy of Indy's hat, there are a few ways to go. Miller Hats carries an entire line of Indy-style hats (go with the Indiana Miller collection for the better ones, not the lisenced products). I own a Miller hat, and my research into their Indys suggests that they measure up to the Miller I already have, and love.

As for the Akubra Federation, it's open crown might seem scary, and I was worried when I bought mine, but it's easy. The brim isn't Indy-shape out of the box, but it's not flat, either. It's a snap-brim and ready-to-wear. The Mid-brown is the closest to the Indy color, but it is on the darker end of the scale. So far, my Fed has been great in the rain and snow. My only warning about the Fed is that the felt is a bit stiff, but not cowboy hat stiff.

Good luck and welcome.

Bart

Familiar Face
Indy solutions

So you think the Akubra would be easy to shape. Seems I saw a link of some kid working on a Federation and shaped into an Indy. When I saw him cutting the brim, I figured, it must be easier than that or better yet leave the brim alone. The next question was about the brim width...how do you figure what width you need?

As for Akubra, I assume you would order direct from Australia

Then you sound high on the Miller products, I did see their line up of Indy styles. Lots of varied hat bands, but what is the standard width of the gros grain band and after all, isn't that the Indy style? Thanks for your reply. Bart

indyjim

Familiar Face
Welcome Bart!
The brim on the Akubra Federation is already dimensional. There is no need to cut it. Brim and crown are proportional for the hat sizes. All you gotta do is bash it to your likeing and wear it. Order your normal hat size. It may be a little loose at first but can easily be adjusted with the foam they supply. It will quickly conform to your head and tighten up. Yes you order direct from Australia. It will usually take less than 10 days to get to you by air. Don't worry. Ron and the crew at HatsDirect are great to deal with. I have purchased 4 hats from them.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
You don't have to cut the brim. I didn't, but I like the Fed's wide brim. Many people cut it to match the measurements of the hat in the Indy films.
As for matching brim width to your face, I'm not an expert. Until you actually have a couple, I'd say, stick with 2 1/2", 2 5/8", and 2 3/4" brim sizes.
The Akubra Federation is only available from hatsdirect.com in Australia. The shipping cost is high, but the hat price is low. In the end, it doesn't cost any more than ordering a hat from a domestic seller.

I do like Miller, and I find their hats softer and dressier. They are made by Biltmore. The cross grain ribbons on their regular Indys are fairly acurate to the movie, and more acurate to the period than thinner crossgain bands. If I remember right, they are about 1 1/2". I go by the measurement supplied for their open crown Indy, which I'm planning to get.

If you're wondering which is the better choice, that depends. The Akubra is stiffer, tough, and can really handle the elements well. The Millers will be softer and look dressier. Plus, they have more color and brim width choices. I haven't put the Miller to any punishment, but I've heard they stand up pretty well. My Akubra is my "ugly weather" hat, but it still gets compliments.

If I've failed to address your questions in any way, blame my thick skull, and whack at it again! :p

P.S. I'm wearing my Akubra in my avatar.

Feraud

Bartender
I own the Akubra Federation Deluxe. It is a great, tough hat at a good price. 100% rabbit felt. That hat arrives un-bashed and is very easy to do! Trimming is not necessary. I used some steam to soften up the felt, shape and let dry.
Here is mine..
The more I wear this hat the more comfortable it becomes.

Steve (Fedora)'s Adventurebilt hats come highly recommended. 100% beaver at a fine price. Check Club Obi Wan for thorough discussions and praise for these hats.

Bart

Familiar Face
Indy Hats Experts

Many thanks to you all for your kind advice and know how. That's a real beauty, Feraud, bet you really feel like Indy on Broadway NYC in that lid!!
Again, thanks friends. Bart

Fedora

Vendor
Steve's already built 500 hats in one year?!!!? Yowsers!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers1: Yes indeed! And I have the needle scars to prove it!! Since my hats use no machine stitching, everything is by hand, and that means wounds. But, not so much anymore. I have gotten smarter I guess, and it has been quite sometime since I buried a sewing needle in the finger. :) No more steam scalds either, but I still occassional get burned by the brim irons and heavy tailor iron. Fedora

riccardo

Practically Family
Indyjim.

Hi,
I like very much the hat in your avatar, it's an Akubra Federation...isn't it?
Might you post some pics of it?

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards.
Riccardo.

Bart

Familiar Face
Indy Jim

Thanks for your input. I think I will take your advice and order a Federation. I hope I can shape it as it should be. Bart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy