Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best source for hat boxes/storage?

Matey

New in Town
I just ordered a new Akubra Stylemaster (which has yet to arrive), and I realized I need a better way to protect it, along with one other hat. These hat boxes (or what ever I end up getting) would be primarily used to keep the hats in in the closet, but might also be used to protect the hat(s) on trips.

What sources do you know of for hat boxes, etc.? I've looked around some, and The Container Store seems the best bet so far, but I can't help thinking there's something better out there.

Thanks!

-30-

A-List Customer
A box is a box is a box; just make sure that The Box has an internal support for the hat, otherwise, it's just A Box.

I see many a Box that was once a Hat Box at the Sunday Antique Market that I frequent; no support, no sale.

Regards,
J T

Matey

New in Town
True enough. I only wish I lived where there was a good Sunday (or any day for that matter) antique sale/flea market, whatever. But, if I find myself in such a place, I'll keep my eyes open. Only those with hat support need apply!

Thanks!

-30-

A-List Customer
The interior inserts, aside from being of differing size, that depending upon the hat , also differs in shape, they being for the brim curvature if any.
A quick look within The Hat Box Thread will show the area of which I write, especially those being for Top Hats or Bowlers; this is required for
Brim Shape Support during storage or transport.

Regards,
J T

stratcat

One of the Regulars
I use the box that the hat got delivered in. I bought a hat box from Christys, who you'd think would know about these things but it was just an empty circular box, no support at all and pretty useless.

I have an assortment of true hat boxes and other sturdy boxes from a craft store (no internal support). I stack the boxes in my closet. The boxes without support are lined with tissue to inhibit wear marks and the hats are kept with the brim snapped up, brim down. I don't see the problem with a hat stored in this way. It is not transported and just sits on the shelf. The box prevents dust build up. Is there a problem with this method?

Matey

New in Town
I have adapted a hat support that came with a hat, and I've used the boxes that hats were shipped in. However, I need more and these boxes are all of different sizes, so not ideal for storage. It's interesting to read the previous few postings and see that others are trying the same things I've done. JT: The Hat Box thread? I missed that and will go looking.

I don't have many good hats at all. But they all have to be stored. Plus, I think the number of "good" hats is only going to increase, and I think the fact that I've started posting on and reading this site is an indicator of this likelihood :).

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I've used the boxes that the hats are shipped in but some are not suitable after I change them so I'm short of hat boxes.
It's impossible to find a 18x18x10" box here, I think I'll have to make them. The pre-made ones are too big or too small.

-30-

A-List Customer
One great problem when wanting to make a (one piece) box will be the dimensions of the overall cardstock flat, this construction being without seams, but with a natural hinge and fold-over "nesting wing" arrangements. The interior support of the hat's flange will also be of the "use an existing, as a pattern for the new work".
Needless to mention, if the flange of another is different, the support must conform to that hat's style.

Regards,
J T

To carry an extra hat or two when traveling I have a couple of Stetson hat cases that come with the 100. The newer cases are like a small suitcase with rounded corners & an artificial leather covering on them. I found on at one of their outlet stores that had a scratch or shallow cut on the covering. It was marked down at a significant discount.

The other case is an old square leather covered case for the Stetson 100 I bought at an Old West auction.

RayR

One of the Regulars
I guess it's never too late to learn about a good hat box =)

I have don a lot of research and tried to buy various used hat boxes on eBay, Etsy, and elsewhere. Very expensive and usually outrageous shipping. I decided it is better to go with a solid, new one.
The best box I've found for my fedoras comes from Sarah's Hat Boxes http://www.sarahshatboxes.com/default.asp#sthash.Tx6zJu4s.dpbs. It prices out reasonably (by to my research) and they are Much stronger than most others I've seen and owned. I just ordered this plain black one.

black%20hat%20box_zpshlnzktnw.jpg

They even make specifically an Adventurebilt round box with the logo on top.

AB%20hat%20box_zpsojhjcwxo.jpg

I really love the insert support.

0907161155_zpsnti1dfrx.jpg

This is for storage and they stack nicely. You can find a good Travel-style hat carrier box by searching "cowboy hat box"

Well, I've been known to make my own inserts out of spare cardboard.

Yes, but you are an aerospace engineer, Frun (or something along those lines, if memory serves) and know how to work to tolerances of +- .005". A challenge for the rest of us!! Inspiring, though, and I'm going to try to fabricate one now myself. It's the best idea!!

Yes, but you are an aerospace engineer, Frun (or something along those lines, if memory serves) and know how to work to tolerances of +- .005". A challenge for the rest of us!! Inspiring, though, and I'm going to try to fabricate one now myself. It's the best idea!!

Yeah, I apply my engineering know-how to tracing out an old one and then cutting.

The trick is figuring how where the slide rule comes in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran