Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Big Night on the Lounge for Panama's

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ok I also ordered a hat body from Panama Bob as an "experiment". I got a very good quality hat body, came fast, and was priced very fairly. Thanks again Robert.

Today I went to Art's shop and we (Art) blocked and formed the hat. Here are the photos...I hope you enjoy.

Sorry Pictures deleted after several momths. If you want to se them, PM me and I will send them to you!

Pen Collector

One of the Regulars
Great looking Hat

Andy,

Great pictures. It's nice to see Art at work. Did you take pictures of the finished hat on you? I noticed the one where the hat did not have the ribbon on it.

In any case the hat looks great! Is that the Mitchum style block?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
No

The hat is not a Mitchum. I believe that is an OPTIMO pet name. This was done on a 1940's block. I had finished photos of the hat on me and Art, but the Lounge would not allow too many pics to be posted. I deleted them. It looks just like the one on the block with the band on it.

Glad you liked it.

I have another bunch of photos of Art's shop and his vault. Will post them later.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well

I can't say what Panama Bob was paid, the market fluctuates. He got me into the hat for under two bucks and a half. Art's services were on a non a cash basis. Please ask him what he will charge Lounge Members for whatever you desire.

I'm sure it will be VERY reasonable, but I never speak for the price another man may charge.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Fedoralover,
I'm glad you liked the way Andy's hat turned out. I am accustomed to working with Cuenca's so it's a real pleasure to work with a Monticristi this fine. It almost shaped itself!!
I don't have a set price for doing this service as I have only blocked someone else's raw bodied Panama twice now. If I screw up one of my own bodies, so what, just get another one. It's very different working on another persons hat. I do know that Pauls hat works in SF charges $100 ( or at least he did a few years ago) when I had him block my own superfino. Come to think of it that was about 10 yrs ago so it wouldn't surprise me to pay $150 today. For "lounger's" I'm sure I could cut that in half plus shipping. Just let me know when you are ready!! :)

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Art

I thought your gray hair came from me looking over your shoulder, asking stupid questions, and .......

What was the sign at the auto shop?":

Labor - $25 per hour
$35 if you watch
$45 if you help

HAHHAHHHAH

I am so impressed with the work I LOVE it.
My HAT IS OFF TO ART!

Rundquist

A-List Customer
This is a great post. The pics are great. This is definitely a good way to go if you want to save some money. The only thing that this method has going against it is that you really need to do your homework. You have to predetermine what style the eventual hat is going to be and order a hat body that works for that style. Straw is not like felt where you can stretch it or cut excess away. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve thought about this method in the past and finally decided that it was easier for me personally to go directly through Optimo. This is still a good method though, especially for those that like planning a hat. Cheers

PS- The hat looks great.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
It isn't hard at all to get the exact body and brim you want...you just have to be willing to take a few minutes (or look on other websites) to see the crown height and brim length you want.

A matter of minutes WILL save you over half of the cost.

Again, my opinion, but I've been working with these hats for a few years now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart