Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BK Durable "The Wild One" One Star Double Rider

Peter Mackin

Practically Family
Been a motorcyclist for over 45years...the jacket looks nothing special & the price is ridiculous,much nicer jackets out there for half the price...just my humble opinion though...a fool & his money is easy parted.

Okay.

First of all, this is a screen accurate replica of the jacket worn by Marlon Brando in the movie The Wild One, right? So you guys need to understand that this is possibly the first such 100% accurate repro to ever hit the market. There's no alternative, per se. Unfortunately.

And even if Brando didn't wear Durable at all, this jacket would still make a very interesting and desirable piece for anyone who is into vintage clothing as Durable is exactly from the era this forum is supposed to be about. Existence of this jacket is no different or any less warranted than any of the countless J-100 repros out there.
Plus, Durable jackets were some of the best in quality and fit at the time from what I have heard, by the way, and have always been very highly prized among the collectors.

So yeah, right now there isn't anybody else that makes a straight reproduction of this jacket which means that if you want The Wild One jacket, this is it. Best chance you'll ever get. Or good luck trying to find an original Durable.

Second, the price is high but it's still right there with the Japanese repros and this jacket is actually much more screen accurate than that one other Japanese version that I have seen.
Whether it's worth it or not and whether you like it or not is in this case entirely irrelevant. This is purely a collectors piece, it's made for people who do not want to settle for just any Perfecto 'cause it looks close enough, and want instead to have the jacket from the movie and to someone like that this jacket is worth the money. I would buy it this instant if I had the $. Does that make me a fool?

Last edited:
I know it's apples and oranges but Logans Closet/Vanson did a really nice version of the jacket for $550!
brando.jpg

A-1

One Too Many
Nah, come on, it’s not perfect! All the other copies out there are worthless compared to the best one!!1! Number ONE!!!!

- written with the new SUPERLATIVE App - "Write the best comments, the best reviews, the best letters to your mom and dad, the best love letters and the best petitions for your divorce! There’s nothing (NOTHING) better!!!“

Edward

Bartender
Any more details on the Logan's Closet / Vanson one? Was it a limited edition? Looks nice - crazy price, too, if it's up to Vanson's usual standards.

As to the BK model, well, they managed to put me off buying from them long ago with their unique approach to customer service and marketing, but I've never denied they make a good product. The price is beyond what I'd pay for any leather jacket myself. Presumably they mut be confident of getting it, though, or why put it out there? I'm sure there are peopel out there who are keen enough on the Durable to pay it for the miminal differences between that and other, similar models (value in that sort of detail is always going to be subjective), though tbh I think it's a bit optimistic given that no matter how sure some might be, it seems to me unlikely we'll ever have a definitive answer to the question of which jacket Brando wore. My understanding is that current wisdom among jacket collectors is that the Durable is the best match to stills of Brando wearing his, but there is noone can say for certain that was the jacket.

LC / Vanson version would actually be preferable because it's not made by an asshole company, and it's Vanson which immediately makes a superior jacket but I gotta hand it to BK, they got Strabler's jacket down to a tee. Like I already said, the only difference I can spot is that the movie version has sleeve zipper tape more exposed. That's about it.

What I'm trying to say here is, take J-24 - many members of this forum have one. Some are perfectly happy with the Schott / Legendary version, others wanted their jackets to be more historically accurate and went a little further by getting an Aero's J106, and finally you have people who and wanted a perfect, straight repro, which is why they dished out some serious money for a RMC or DD. Which is cool! So how is this any different?

I am absolutely in love with the fact that such a thing is possible. I may not be too keen on the idea of supporting this company but the fact remains that in all these years, nobody did a reproduction of the most famous movie jacket of all time. Nobody! You gotta appreciate just having this chance to own it. I want one. I will never be able to afford it and I don't think I would wear it either, but I want it. Unlined version, of course. Like in the movie! :D

Edward, it's not a limited edition, you can still order it exclusively through LC but... People haven't been all too happy with LC for some time now so God knows when and if you might get your jacket.

Any more details on the Logan's Closet / Vanson one? Was it a limited edition? Looks nice - crazy price, too, if it's up to Vanson's usual standards.
I'm not sure if it's available anymore or not...I saw a few on ebay (maybe 6 months ago) in my size and I balked...mainly b/c the length was right on the edge of my comfort zone. They look to be made of Vansons z-150 which is just a wee bit lighter than the full comp weight and still quite stiff out of the box. I have no doubt it would be on par with anything Vanson puts out and I think the guy behind Logans Closet is a film buff and does a lot of repro jackets as collabs w/ Vanson.

I wondered about that...I've only seen the jackets on eBay

I think this guy really meant well but got swamped with orders and couldn't keep up - or rather Vanson couldn't? I remember that at some point they could no longer source hide they were satisfied with. Then things started falling apart. Same happened with filmjackets.com owner, a really awesome guy, who also started his own business of making a movie repro jackets (very nice jackets, at that) but also hit delays, then the complaints began, etc.

I think this guy really meant well but got swamped with orders and couldn't keep up - or rather Vanson couldn't? I remember that at some point they could no longer source hide they were satisfied with. Then things started falling apart. Same happened with filmjackets.com owner, a really awesome guy, who also started his own business of making a movie repro jackets (very nice jackets, at that) but also hit delays, then the complaints began, etc.
That's a tough nut to crack...knowing myself and considering someone like me would be a potential customer...no thanks.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
That's a tough nut to crack...knowing myself and considering someone like me would be a potential customer...no thanks.

I think Dan/Logan is still in business. As far as I know, the waiting time is almost like Goodwear, it is compounded with Vanson's production priority, the/ owner being occupied by other businesses and communication issues.

What I think what BK is doing is that they make it "Limited" to test the water. I think they are not dumb and realise that ultimate authenticity is really a niche requirement.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk