Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Book Recommendation

shamus

Suspended
I stopped by Barnes and Noble this weekend and was checking out the discount books, and they had a nice hardback called "Gentleman's Guild to Grooming"

It's mostly how to be an English Gentleman, but covers every topic, from shaving, how to pick a suit, how ties are made, how shoes are made how to dress, Hats, shirts, pants, watches, pens, hair, ect. It's packed with interesting knowlege.

And the price was $14.99. Well worth it even if you only use half of it.

It was published by Barnes and Noble.

green papaya

One Too Many
I bought one too, it's a good reference book to add to your collection

the book discuss'es details that you dont normally think about, like the type of belts worn with khakis, etc or what color trousers to wear with a dark navy blazer, the origin of cuffs on men's trousers, etc.

it's well worth the $14.98

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
The Brit Look Old Boy!

I know which book your talking about nice book, but the overall look it a little too much Bond Street/To The Manor Born for me. Just my opinion! Peter

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Mycroft said:
One of the best books on the subject. I also love this one: How To Be A Gentleman : A Contemporary Guide to Common Courtesy. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007QC28U/qid=1130800720/sr=8-3/ref=pd_bbs_3/102-0221404-2378540?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
I am looking into buying the set, and I am training to be an English Gentleman currently.
Mycroft,
I too am interested in these arts. Have you been to "The Chap"?
Their address is: www.thechap.net/ I've just ordered one of their books entitled "The Chap manifesto" and am looking forward to it. Best of luck on your noble quest.

Highest regards,
Sefton

Mycroft

One Too Many
Sefton said:
Mycroft,
Their address is: www.thechap.net/ I've just ordered one of their books entitled "The Chap manifesto" and am looking forward to it. Best of luck on your noble quest.

Highest regards,
Sefton
Thanks mate and same to you. I can recmend online recorces too, if you want. I am currently appling to Oxford for a true education of an English Gentleman. I am also working on starting fencing and/or boxing. I think that one factor that is important is to be a polymat, or renicance man, to achive true gentlemaness because that is the basis of the courier, who is a gentlemen of a royal court way back when.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Always a Gentleman

Mycroft

You will always be a Gentleman in my book. I myself always inspire to be a Southern Gentleman. Either I have accomplished this from what the nice southern elderly ladies have told me, or I really have them fooled. Not sure which. :fedora:

Gray Ghost

Mycroft

One Too Many
Gray Ghost said:
Mycroft

You will always be a Gentleman in my book. I myself always inspire to be a Southern Gentleman. Either I have accomplished this from what the nice southern elderly ladies have told me, or I really have them fooled. Not sure which. :fedora:

Gray Ghost

Thanks, well I did..., naw, I put in a good word for you too ;). I was wondering do you feel there is a decline where you are living of the southern gentleman, I feel that people think it is a bit politically incorrect. But, I do love watching them on the screen, i.e. the Lady Killers and O' Brother Where Art Thou. Anyhow, this is a great link for any gentlemen adventurer or aspiring one: http://www.shanghaicafe.com/

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Mycroft

There does seem to be a decline in the Southern Gentleman arena. I guess it is because the media and the schools teach that we should be ashamed of all things Southern. We are always seemed to be lumped into the hick white trash category and it really steams me when they do. There will always be a Southern Gentleman lurking somewhere and Southern Ladies too. If I ever have daughters, I think I will send them to Georgia to learn to talk. I just love a good Georgia Peach Southern Belle accent. It just makes me melt. I think it is getting a little hot in here now. I better go.

GG

Mycroft

One Too Many
Gray Ghost said:
Mycroft

There does seem to be a decline in the Southern Gentleman arena. I guess it is because the media and the schools teach that we should be ashamed of all things Southern. We are always seemed to be lumped into the hick white trash category and it really steams me when they do. There will always be a Southern Gentleman lurking somewhere and Southern Ladies too. If I ever have daughters, I think I will send them to Georgia to learn to talk. I just love a good Georgia Peach Southern Belle accent. It just makes me melt. I think it is getting a little hot in here now. I better go.

GG

I think it is shunned, but also the South is completly different now, it is not as isolated and rural as it was. I think it is negativitly associated with racism, and the Civil War. I don't know, since I live in South Florida, so I am not really in the "South" in that way. It is dead here(Southern Gentlemanness), how about up by you?

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Same here. Especially in the Triangle area. Alot of yuppies have moved in, but we do still have several areas of Southern Gentleman and Ladies. You just have to look a little harder. Just look for the ones that still open a door for a lady or stand up when one enters the room. He may not always be Southern but still a Gentleman none the less. From what I can tell from the Fedora Lounge, it seems that all the men here are Gentleman and the Ladies are definetley Ladies. No matter what our beliefs on certain issues may be. I care about each and every one of yall.:cheers1:

Eric

Mycroft

One Too Many
Gray Ghost said:
Same here. Especially in the Triangle area. Alot of yuppies have moved in, but we do still have several areas of Southern Gentleman and Ladies. You just have to look a little harder. Just look for the ones that still open a door for a lady or stand up when one enters the room. He may not always be Southern but still a Gentleman none the less. From what I can tell from the Fedora Lounge, it seems that all the men here are Gentleman and the Ladies are definetley Ladies. No matter what our beliefs on certain issues may be. I care about each and every one of yall.:cheers1:

Eric

Here Here. :cheers1: Well, my parents are from the North and Midwest, so I fall into the non-Southern catagory. But, South Florida is different.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefton
Mycroft,

Highest regards,
Sefton
Thanks mate and same to you. I can recmend online recorces too, if you want. I am currently appling to Oxford for a true education of an English Gentleman. I am also working on starting fencing and/or boxing. I think that one factor that is important is to be a polymat, or renicance man, to achive true gentlemaness because that is the basis of the courier, who is a gentlemen of a royal court way back when.

The Ultimate Authority on How to Be An English Gentlemen is Lord Chesterfield's Letters to His Son:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/01...4?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

The Ultimate Authority on How to Be A Renaissance Man is The Book of the Courtier by Castiglione:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0140441921/103-7918355-4099004?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance

Mycroft

One Too Many

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany