Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Books: Sky Tiger and Blue Arena

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
watched Battle of Britain again, and because of this thread, i finally noticed Robert Shaw's sweater. definitely going to get one...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That's right Sam.

Interestingly Shaw's character was based closely on "Sailor" Malan and according to BoB veterans captured the pugnacious Sailor rather well. He was a brilliant fighter leader (some have called him the best of the war) but to quote a rather famous BoB ace, "a difficult ba***rd" on the ground. His "Ten of My Rules of Air Fighting" became standard stuff drummed into pilots and a popular poster on the walls of dispersal huts.

There's a very famous drawing by (off the top of my head) Orde or Wooton which shows Malan in his Irvin and RN jersey. I can dig it out and post it here if you are interested.

Surprisingly one of my favourite movies ;)

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Smithy said:
That's right Sam.

Interestingly Shaw's character was based closely on "Sailor" Malan and according to BoB veterans captured the pugnacious Sailor rather well. He was a brilliant fighter leader (some have called him the best of the war) but to quote a rather famous BoB ace, "a difficult ba***rd" on the ground. His "Ten of My Rules of Air Fighting" became standard stuff drummed into pilots and a popular poster on the walls of dispersal huts.

There's a very famous drawing by (off the top of my head) Orde or Wooton which shows Malan in his Irvin and RN jersey. I can dig it out and post it here if you are interested.

Surprisingly one of my favourite movies ;)

please do Smithy. that would be neat to see. i just ordered one off of WPG. Eastman was a little steep for me. GBP just about doubles over here for us yanks ;)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Here you are Sam:
vo051dta.jpg

Isn't that the one, Smithy?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
By the way Sam if you want to know more about Malan "Sky Tiger" by Norman Franks is good, and "Spud" Spurdle's paints a very good picture of what is was like to fly in the BoB with Sailor as your CO in "The Blue Arena"

I highly recommend both books.

It is evident in photos that Sailor also wore the navy blue version of the RN jumper, especially in early 1940.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Use abebooks.com or bookfinder.com Zemke, those prices over at Amazon are ridiculous. I saw both recently for around £15.

If you're going to get one, buy "The Blue Arena", superb memoir. Spud's account is no nonsense and parts are similar in fashion to Clostermann's "in the cockpit" accounts.

The NZFPM has an extract from The Blue Arena here if you want to get a feel for it:

http://www.nzfpm.co.nz/article.asp?id=fot_hole

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
thats a neat drawing. resembles Shaw a bit. thanks Smith, i'll see if i can pick it up. sounds like a fantastic read. need to catch up on the RAF anyway ;) should get my sweater next week...can't wait. might go for the navy blue also...

update: Smithy, i used Abebooks and got a 1st edition(i believe) of "The Blue Arena"...and not for the ridiculous Amazon price of $78...thanks for the info :D

-SM

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
SamMarlowPI said:
oh and Smithy, got "The Blue Arena" today too so ill start reading it as well :)

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did Sam. Spud has a very conversational tone which really makes you feel you were there.

If you like that and want some more recommendations just shout out, I've read dozens of WWII RAF/RNZAF memoirs and can shoot you some more titles you may like.

Nice shot of the frock Alan, I might have to post a couple of pics of them being worn. Short of reenacting, most people today wouldn't find much use for the frock nor find it very fetching when worn!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Smithy said:
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did Sam. Spud has a very conversational tone which really makes you feel you were there.

If you like that and want some more recommendations just shout out, I've read dozens of WWII RAF/RNZAF memoirs and can shoot you some more titles you may like.

Nice shot of the frock Alan, I might have to post a couple of pics of them being worn. Short of reenacting, most people today wouldn't find much use for the frock nor find it very fetching when worn!

sure will Smithy, thanks.
quick question: did the RAF or other Allied Air Forces besides the USAAF use the Curtiss P-40? the dust cover on my "Blue Arena" shows a P-40 with the British "target" symbol near the tail...but i thought only the USAAF and Flying Tigers used the P-40. thanks :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I see that on Amazon that "Sky Tiger" will be out in paperback on September 14th, 2011. The $11.16 pre-order price is far better than the HB edition!

John

Nice to hear they are republishing "Sky Tiger". It's not a bad read and is the only book (that I know of) devoted to Malan. Prices for it have gone up over the years but $288 is a joke. You'd expect the thing to have been signed by Sailor for that price!

And that $78 for Spud's book is also a joke. You can pick it up for around the $20-30 mark still.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff