Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Born Boots?

CopperNY

A-List Customer
i have oiled brown leather Born chukkas.

well made, comfortable, but have a very "light feel" to them. i'm sure they will last a while, but they don't seem solid out of the box.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Thanks, Copper.

I looked a different model of Born boots at a local stores. Your assessment is correct, they are a nice looking casual boot. Not made for hard use, I think.

theinterchange

One Too Many
My mom has a pair of Born shoes she's owned for 4 or so years and she swears by them. No real signs of wearing out, even with fairly frequent wear. She says they're all day comfortable, and the sizing is true to her usual. [I'm asking her these questions as I type] I'm personally on the fence between getting a pair of Born or Clark's for my next shoe purchase.

Randy

CopperNY

A-List Customer
i've been wearing a pair of Clarks "Roar" boots for two years now. the heel is just starting to wear through on the outside edge. but that's mainly due to how my feet turn out as i walk.

if you can find a deal, they are worth it.

Nightman

New in Town
What do you expect to use them for? If looking for a real workboot or hunting boot than, I like Redwings. If looking for something to wear to the theater in bad weather, than I suppose Borns will do.

theinterchange

One Too Many
CopperNY said:
i've been wearing a pair of Clarks "Roar" boots for two years now. the heel is just starting to wear through on the outside edge. but that's mainly due to how my feet turn out as i walk.

if you can find a deal, they are worth it.

The Roar is the Clark's model I'm interested in. Thanks for the review!

Inusuit

A-List Customer
OP here...

I found another model of Born boots in a store, and I agree with Nightman. More style than substance, which is not to say I wouldn't buy a pair at some point for rainy nights at the theater. I ended up with a pair of Redwing Pecos pullons. Very happy with my choice. These will be worn to preconstuction meetings, field inspections, and they will do for casual wear as well.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I have a pair of Born dress boots. They're really more casual/dress. I wear them to work two to three days a week and sometimes to walk around the city on the weekend. I live in NYC. I've been wearing them since early spring and they've been just fine.

However, I don't expect to get years of wear out of them...at least, not with all of the walking I do in the city.

- Ian

PS. The boots that you were eyeing have a great look. Very similar to the U.S. Army's WWII era jump boot.

piranha

New in Town
I had two pairs and wasn't crazy about them. I went to Brazil thinking that I might wear them as I traveled through the country but purposely left them there for a poor soul to wear them and get his own blisters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy