Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino Info

rayk

Familiar Face
After I've sufficiently recovered from my recent hat buying binge, I'd like to buy a decent beaver fedora. I found this Borsalino Beaver Fedora online at the Village Hat Shop, but they don't say much about it. Can anyone provide information on the quality of this hat, as well as whether the price is reasonable for the product. Thanks for the input

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I can't tell you anymore than the article says but, the 4 inch crown is way too low to look good IMHO. PLus for that much money you can get a custom made one to your liking from Optimo, or Art Fawcett that would be a much higher quality hat. Optimo's felt this year is 49% beaver, 49% Nutria, and the rest wild hare. Just this weekend I saw the standard new Borsalinos's that are $225. and they are garbage compared to the vintage hats you can get on ebay or vintagesilhouettes. Honestly, the liners aren't even sewn in and the stitching was poorly done. Check out Arts site, last time I looked he had some vintage borsalino's that are really nice. Plus many others.

regards fedoralover

Fedora

Vendor
If you are after a pure beaver hat, The Gladhatter has some really high quality beaver felt, and you can buy just the body, or a completed hat. I own two, and can vouch for the quality and fineness of the felt. It will set you back around 500 bucks. Fedora

havershaw

Practically Family
I have a PBBM, which I love. The color on it is fantastic, and Joe Jr.'s brims are second to none.

But vintage felt is 100 times better. I don't see a huge or dramatic change in quality from my Akubra (a hat I also love). Optimo felt is pretty close to vintage felt.

I love my PBBM, but it's all about the color and brim and styling for me on that hat. I know the felt's not up there with either Optimo or vintage stuff (particularly the vintage Borsalinos).

I am curious about their beaver felt, but I would imagine that an Optimo is more in my future.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Originally posted by havershaw
I have a PBBM, which I love. The color on it is fantastic, and Joe Jr.'s brims are second to none.

But vintage felt is 100 times better. I don't see a huge or dramatic change in quality from my Akubra (a hat I also love). Optimo felt is pretty close to vintage felt.

I love my PBBM, but it's all about the color and brim and styling for me on that hat. I know the felt's not up there with either Optimo or vintage stuff (particularly the vintage Borsalinos).

I am curious about their beaver felt, but I would imagine that an Optimo is more in my future.

Agreed. The crowns have a great shape too. I do wish the felt was tighter though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner