Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOTH SIDES OF THE TWEED! - Show us your tweed suits, sport coats and pants

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I would think it looks even better in reality because the photograph doesn't show the red overcheck.

Your wish is my command:

IMG_4677.jpg

Last edited:

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
All right...I usually post (sporadically, I add) in the "hats" section, but recently I've developed a taste in "tweed". Oh, I remember I had a Harris tweed jacket, heavy and stiff gray herringbone, and I foolishly "threw it away". So I wanted something to replace it, and bought one jacket a German made Harris tweed, and now this one, which I particularly like:

bladensupasaxjohnbrockl.jpg

backviewbladensupasaxjo.jpg

a069wyi.jpg

a068k.jpg

It's a Bladen Supasax John Brocklehurst Norfolk style hunting jacket. Clearly, it's not the "full" Norfolk jacket, but it has some of the styling. The jacket is near new condition, warm and... I love it!

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
I'll wait for cold days and then wear it around.

Monsieur Chevalier,
I believe I'm evolving in this direction. There's no controlling it. I've NEVER liked suits, ties...look, hippie days, ok? And then this happens. Tintin. One of the -various- advantages to not being so young any more is that there is an increasing degree of liberty, freedom. I remember, when I first wore a hat, back in the ...hippie... early 1970's, I was verbally agressed for allegedly being an ..."FBI pig". I was very bashful for wearing hats (I ain't no hero), in those "young" days. Now? I get looks from the ladies. Even the gents.
BTW, you look fabulous in that, er... golf suit?
Respectfully,
Paul

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Last edited:

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Outstanding coat, Paul, and the insouciance of that scarf is impeccable. Well done, that man!

That scarf, mon ami, is all to the credit of my wonderful wife: she knit it (I suspect it isn't "knitted"). Last year, she made one for all the "men" in the family. This one I ..er.. sort of borrowed from whichever son didn't remember it as being "his" enfin, we borrow things from one another. The colours go particularly well with that jacket.

Last edited:

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Merci beaucoup, Paul. Did you know that, when I was a kid, I used to spend summers in Belgium? My mother's family owned and lived in Kasteel Cleydael, which is in between Hemiksem and Aartselaar, near Antwerp. It's now a golf club:

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...code_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved=0CDkQ8gEwAQ

Small world, Marc. I used to work on the Kontichsesteenweg in Aartselaar. BTW, that picture of you is so..."Hugo"...I love that film, proving -again and again- that Hollywood yet makes, every once in a while, great stuff.

Cheers,
Paul

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Got this Centaur for a couple of quid on Saturday, guessing it's late production?
2chxt0.jpg
jal2iw.jpg
muxv9u.jpg
3ubd1.jpg
2eyubtx.jpg

It's in very god condition indeed with no wear apparent internally, externally it's a bit 'hairy' but I guess it may have come like that?
Size wise it's a 44" Reg but it fits more like a 42"

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
a couple more details, the cloth is a lovely herringbone with subtle colours within the pattern when yopu get close from 5 feet away it looks grey.
b848di.jpg
k9b8f7.jpg

I also got this all wool SB blazer last thursday off a 'rag' stall this cost a whole pound! to be fair it had some food? marks on the front but they have all sponged(carfeully) off, it fits perfect and looks and feels like new, it's navy in colour;
34dh91g.jpg
1z4brqg.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Twod more detail shots of the blazer, internally its just about identical to the herringbone sports jacket above;
34ipwdg.jpg
112d5hh.jpg

This came off the same rag stall again a pound, I bought it for the buttons as it smelled heavily of smoke and had a pocket slightly undone at the corner, the collar was heavily stained with tobacco smoke too, underneath it all there was/is a little gem though I think?
It was made locally in Sheffield where the steel comes from by Barney Goodman in 1961, the weight and quality of the cloth is wonderful,
3498hhe.jpg
6s6sdf.jpg
68zl9f.jpg

Oldsarge

One Too Many
That scarf, mon ami, is all to the credit of my wonderful wife: she knit it (I suspect it isn't "knitted"). Last year, she made one for all the "men" in the family. This one I ..er.. sort of borrowed from whichever son didn't remember it as being "his" enfin, we borrow things from one another. The colours go particularly well with that jacket.

They do, indeed. We will be in Belgium in April on a cruise boat leaving from Amsterdam to see the tulip beds and the Floriad and ending in Antwerp. Any interesting restaurants or pubs along the river we should know about?

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I am tempted to get this dry cleaned and sew up the pocket corner as I think it deserves it, I9 just love the cloth, I am guessing it may originally have been part of a suit?

I certainly would. Annual dry cleaning won't damage the cloth unduly and will get rid of the tobacco smell/stain. The modest cost in repairing the pocket will be more than repaid in the coming years of pleasurable wearing. Good eye, sir.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
The L.A. Athletic Club? My great-uncle Joe was a member, one of the last Life Members. The club was a little miffed at him because he lived clear into his 90's and never paid a dime in membership after he bought the Life Time. That must have been back in the late '40's or early 50's at the latest. The man had row upon row of handball trophies and we all figured that was kept him alive so long. He used to smoke rum-sipped Italian cigars up to with the last ten years of his life. Anyway, after he retired (both times!) his major activity was driving down to the LAAC for a couple of games of handball, lunch and a stogie. Great guy. I miss him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner