Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon Discussion Thread

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So. I was recently given a bottle of Jack Daniels old no. 7.
I may have tried it thirty years ago, but I really don’t remember it.
Because I over-think everything, I approached it with some trepidation. I researched it before cracking the bottle and basically learned that there are two camps…

1. Like Levi’s, Harley-Davidson, and Jazz, Jack Daniels is a great American Classic. It was famously Frank Sinatra’s favorite tipple. It’s reasonably priced and is an excellent bang for the buck and a sturdy example of a good whisky.

2. Jack Daniels is too big and too popular and too mass produced. It’s a cliche. It is watery, too mellow, yet the alcohol is too sharp. JD is basically cheap whisky that is better avoided.​

Before I sampled the product, I had to be in a frame of mind where I was neither unduly influenced by “the legend” or by the anti-legend haters.

I poured two fingers, neat, with maybe a teaspoon of water, and took my time as the sun went down.

My verdict? I think it is good stuff. I picked up toasty caramel, nut, and wood flavors. Also a little fruit. It’s got some bite but is also pretty smooth. I can see it becoming a regular item on my shelf. The fact that it is reasonably priced does not hurt.

Last edited:

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Smooth… maybe too smooth

Attachments

• DFB251C3-1D7B-4A7B-94DD-DF08D2F15D0C.jpeg
    DFB251C3-1D7B-4A7B-94DD-DF08D2F15D0C.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 345

Turnip

In lower shelf range I prefer Wild Turkey (101) since I was a kid and Jimmy Russell is nothing less than a true legend.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
In lower shelf range I prefer Wild Turkey (101) since I was a kid and Jimmy Russell is nothing less than a true legend.

I favor Wild Turkey 101 as an excellent rye.
The bird is a smooth kick sip, poured double shotgun over rocks
with Etta James or Billy Eckstein serenading background after a hard week.

Last edited:

Tiki Tom

Wild Turkey 101 is indeed good stuff. (I hate the whole business of judging quality by price point. There are many high quality/low cost products and many over-rated/high cost whiskeys. Just my humble opinion.)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Low end glass hold elixir equivalence to upper crust bourbon, and, to be honest my plebeian palate
is sated all the same but occasional curiosity does prompt a richer nip now and then or a much heralded
moniker might be gifted and sampled. Though if it ain't broke don't fix it, works fine when looking over the
parade shelf and price tags.:)

Hayes Nash

Familiar Face
Sipping on Old Elk this fine Sunday eve. Twas a gift from a good friend - and it sure is a dandy. I highly recommend, if you'd like to try a really nice bottle at some point and it will not disappoint. I do agree with points made above; it is hard to beat the Wild Turk, as a staple. I'm on the hunt for WT Rare Breed and will pick up a bottle next time I see one - it will be nice to try that out as it gets really good reviews and I already know I like the WT sandard.

Turnip

Wild Turkey 101 is indeed good stuff. (I hate the whole business of judging quality by price point. There are many high quality/low cost products and many over-rated/high cost whiskeys. Just my humble opinion.)

Especially as not too few of those „craft“ bottlings are nothing more but sourced LDI (or how that distilling giant might be named meanwhile) booze from one of their cubic meter lines with a fantasy label and the only things real crafted are the „background story“ and the profit.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk