Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bra pains.

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
Sorry if there is already a thread for this.

Basically i'm big up top. And with the majority of my bras it hurts in my armpits. The wire sticks into my armpit and it's painful and causes red bumps sometimes. I don't understand why they are digging into me. I have been measured while this has been happening and apparently i'm the same size as always. One or two of my bras are fine but alot of them hurt and I have to tuck my top into where the wire is the soften it.

Does this happen to anyone else here? And if so how did you fix it, or did you ever fix it?

I hope you can understand what I mean, I wasn't sure how to explain it.

Thanks in advance :)

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I worked in lingerie, and there's really only three reasons this could be happening:

1) You weren't measured correctly
2) Your bra is worn, and the seams are tearing or it was improperly washed, denting the wire. Or it has shrunk.
3) You are wearing the wrong brand/style for your bodytype.

In most cases it's reasons #1.

In my experience, women's bodies change over the years. When a woman tells me she is in pain from her bra, I'm 90% sure she's wearing the wrong size. Bras are NOT supposed to be painful!

May I suggest you go elsewhere to be measured for a second opinion?

Vintage Betty

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
Vintage Betty said:
I worked in lingerie, and there's really only three reasons this could be happening:

1) You weren't measured correctly
2) Your bra is worn, and the seams are tearing or it was improperly washed, denting the wire. Or it has shrunk.
3) You are wearing the wrong brand/style for your bodytype.

In most cases it's reasons #1.

In my experience, women's bodies change over the years. When a woman tells me she is in pain from her bra, I'm 90% sure she's wearing the wrong size. Bras are NOT supposed to be painful!

May I suggest you go elsewhere to be measured for a second opinion?

Vintage Betty
So do you think it's too small for me? Or too big? Either way I don't have the money right now to buy any new ones.. it's expensive. The bigger you are, the more expensive it is. And also, harder to find nice bras.

I don't think it's number two because it happens from new. The wire isn't sticking out or the bra, there's no hole in the fabric but it's sticking into my armpit all the same.

thanks for you reply :)

alexandra

Practically Family
You might have the straps too tight or loose. I had a friend complaining about her bra all the time and it turned out to be as simple as that.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like the idea about loosening or tightening the straps....but for a cheap fix, you could try putting bandaids on the places that rub (on the bra, not on you).

Or, maybe try some non-underwire bras?

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Eck, non underwires give no support, even the ones that are supposed to. And underwires suck! lol
I've recently given in and started buying the more expensive bras myself. I'm a 42DD/DDD. I had found some bras that I liked at Mervyns, so of course when the ones I had bought needed to be replaced, they didnt have them anymore, and I didnt like the shape the others gave me. So I went to Lane Bryant, and thankfully they were having a sale, buy one get one half.

But if you cant afford to get new bras, then I'd suggest taking the wire out and putting in lefts/cutlets in your bras if they dont give you the support you want, until you can get some better bras.

Josephine

One Too Many
I never was able to find a bra that fit me until I found PlusSizeBras.org (defunct now). But I saved their measuring instructions on my server. Also, a bra size in one brand isn't the same size in another. Here's a chart that shows the sizes and how they relate to each other. Remember, the "Plus Size Bras' US "Standard"" size is the size you get when you use the measurement guide on the fist page I linked to.

I wear a size 34G so I know how expensive larger sizes can get and how horrible they can look, like they could hold up the Chrysler Building! :D I get all my bras from Belle-Lingerie on eBay. They can be 50% off, which is great for a $60 bra.

Good Luck! :)

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
I had this problem, until I moved up a cup size. I never would've imagined that would be the case, but it solved the problem! My b00bs aren't that "big," but they are "wide set" if that makes any sense at all... [huh]

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Got to a lingerie store.
Have a proper fitting.
Try on different bras.
Buy what works best (no matter the price).

Im a 38I!(in the bra that I am in now) I cant do DDs to save my life, but I was because I didnt know better.

Once I did, I felt so much better. If your big in the bust, your gonna spend on average $35-$50 for a daily bra. If that is too much, get the brand/size from the fitting and find it online.

I have a great soft cup (non underwire) from Goddess and it holds the girls wonderfully :)

LD

GreyAndWhiteCat

Familiar Face
Do not chose your bra size based on mesurments! Chose based on what is best to wear(no pains and good support)!

When mesured i am 32 inches around the bust. But if I pick a bra that is 32 inches around it is terrible to wear, it moves upp and down my back, and the straps dig. But when I wear a bra that is 30 inches around I'm all smiles.

So I suggest you try one a lot of sizes and chose the one that feels best on!

I prefer to buy my bra at bravissimo.com. They do only big cup sizes and the almost 10 years I have been using them they have always given perfect advice.

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
I have used bravissimo before. I like them alot, and they do clothes and pjs now!

I suppose I shoud get measured again, but i'll go somewhere else. the only lingerie shop in my town is Ann Summers and it was a young girl who measured me and even she said she wasn't properly trained yet to do that. But we do have department stores and lingerie sections so i'll go there.

If I'm not comfortable with their measurement then maybe I should call Bravissimo. They can measure over the phone.

I don't think it's the straps because I change them if they aren't comfortable but the bra always feels the same.

I will buy new bras if needed but only one every few weeks if that.

What are lefts and cuflets?

GreyAndWhiteCat

Familiar Face
If you have a good fitting bra, the straps will never dig. The band and the cup should give the main support. The straps are never supposed to be the main support for your breasts. If the straps dig or is otherwise uncomfortable, it is a sign that this is what is happening.

What are lefts and cuflets?
I have never heard about them :) So I'm also wondering

texasgirl

One Too Many
Feel Your Pain

I have 2 Fantasie bras. Exact same style. Exact same size. Bought the same day One is nude and one is black. They are identical. The black one digs in my armpit. The nude one does not. It is a mystery that I don't think I will ever solve...

Blondie

Practically Family
I always go to a Department store and get fitted,
i allow myself plenty of time as if i am going to spend a wad of cash i want to make sure they fit me perfectly. The fitter picks out styles according to what i want, she does it all day long, so she knows what works with my boobs & my my size. I have a wide back also.
i end up trying on so many different styles to get a good fitting bra,
i never buy off the rack as different brands fit differently and while you maybe a 40dd in one brand you may be a 42d in another.

Foofoogal

Banned
http://www.snopes.com/business/origins/bra.asp

I can honestly say if I could get into a time machine and go back I would personally do harm to the inventor of the brassiere.
I have never ever had a comfortable bra and believe they even harm women.
During the hippie days I wore halters so have never got used to them.
I don't wear an underwire bra and still scratch my head as to how any woman does.
I pay good money for them and have had many measure me but still no success.
It is the first think I yank off when I come home and last thing I put on going out. I truly detest them and they ride up in back constantly. I also have bruises that never heal it seems where they go under my arms. It is the only thing about the feminist movement I wish would of taken. I would gladly burn them all.

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
It should not be riding up your back, if it is then it is the wrong size, same thing with the wire digging into the sides it's either the wrong size or the wrong style. I personally love underwire bras, they are my friend, there is no way that I can ever go out in public with out one. The only time it comes off is when I'm going to bed. I can't buy my bras in regular department stores because they don't carry my size. I went to a specialty bra store and got fitted where I learned my true size. The place is called Creative Woman http://home.flash.net/~bras/index.htm. Bras in my size are around $40 and up, but I think it's well worth it.

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
Since we are talking about bras, can anyone recommend a good sports bra in the larger sizes? I wear a 32GG, I currently work out in a regular full-cup underwire bra because any sports bras I've tried gave no significant support, they came in s-xl sizes and I don't think any of them were meant to support my cup size. Any help greatly appreciated.:)

Missy

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
MissMissy said:
Since we are talking about bras, can anyone recommend a good sports bra in the larger sizes? I wear a 32GG, I currently work out in a regular full-cup underwire bra because any sports bras I've tried gave no significant support, they came in s-xl sizes and I don't think any of them were meant to support my cup size. Any help greatly appreciated.:)

Missy

there is one that oprah is a big fan of - i can't remember the name of it though! a few years ago i bought one at nordstrom that worked pretty well, but i gave it away after my reduction so i don't remembr the brand name either.

lillielil

Familiar Face
MissMissy said:

Missy

I can! Enell bras are wonderful, even if they are as ugly as sin. The size chart looks like it doesn't allow for large cup sizes, but that's a lie. You would probably wear a size 1 or 2, but I would suggest trying them on. They were recommended to me by a super-athletic friend who wore a 36I before her reduction.

texasgirl

One Too Many
MissMissy said:

Missy

I am a 34FF and I have one of these. I think it's the DDD, but it fits great. Major support!

http://www.championcatalog.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prnbr=CH1691&cgnbr=3021000000

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran