Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bread, the staff of life...

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HepKitty said:
ok this is a new one on me... I'm afraid that as a recovering vegetarian I still avoid pork grease like the plague, so this is not one I would try. if someone wanted me to make it for them, and they did the job of rendering the fat for me, I'd probably do it. as long as they take me out for a nice dinner and movie lol

:eek:fftopic: I rendered beef tallow once, and it was disgusting. I won't be doing that again

Come on to the South, young lady! Lard is one of the basic food groups here. :D

HepKitty

One Too Many
Big Man said:
Come on to the South, young lady! Lard is one of the basic food groups here. :D

:eek:fftopic: yes I know, and my stomach would never forgive me. it's not so much a matter of being against pork, after all I used to really like bacon, it's just that I can't get used to the grease. I cook bacon for my kids and when the grease splatters on my lips, I get stomach cramps for hours

Puzzicato

One Too Many
HepKitty said:
how did your bread turn out?
culturedbutter6.jpg

culturedbutter7.jpg

I need a little practice on shaping them!

davestlouis

Practically Family
Puzzicato, those loaves look perfect. I have never made my own bread, but this thread is inspiring me to try it. The pictures of everyone's creations make me ashamed of the generic white sandwich bread I buy at the supermarket.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
davestlouis said:
Puzzicato, those loaves look perfect. I have never made my own bread, but this thread is inspiring me to try it. The pictures of everyone's creations make me ashamed of the generic white sandwich bread I buy at the supermarket.

Thank you!

You should definitely have a go. I don't have a mixer with a dough hook, so I do all my kneading by hand - I find it very relaxing! I also get a kick out of learning new skills and doing things with my hands. I think in the modern world it is very easy to get disconnected from our physicality, and making bread reconnects me.

http://rosas-yummy-yums.blogspot.com/2006/10/world-bread-day-2006-hamburger-buns.html start with these hamburger buns - very easy and totally delicious.

HepKitty

One Too Many
I don't have a mixer with a dough hook either. mixers are fine for cookies and cakes (and mass quantities of bread dough like at the bakery) but I prefer making bread by hand. it does take some practice though so keep trying :)

rue

I'm sort of a beginner bread maker. I failed and made a lot of bricks before I finally figured out how to make a decent white bread. Now I never buy it from the store.

I'm thrilled to find some sourdough recipes on here! My daughter is begging me to make some, since we haven't found a decent loaf of it after leaving California. Thank you :)

HepKitty

One Too Many
I've been experimenting with sourdough leaven. There's this great method where you freeze the leaven in chunks, so you don't have an ominous jar lurking in the fridge. My first loaf using the reanimated leaven is proving now - it looks and smells wonderful!

lol I don't mind the jar lurking in the back of my fridge. Good idea to freeze it though, thanks for the link

HepKitty

One Too Many
I'm sort of a beginner bread maker. I failed and made a lot of bricks before I finally figured out how to make a decent white bread. Now I never buy it from the store.

I think it's the practice that's a big turn-off, people give up too soon.

I'm not a real fan of white bread, but this is a good recipe that I got from the bakery:

Country White

1 1/4 c water
1 c milk
2 tsp yeast (dry)
1 1/2 tsp oil
1 1/2 tsp honey
2 tsp salt
5 1/2 c bread flour (or more)

This bread is best with forms, it doesn't free-form very well.

We also used this recipe for lunch rolls: roll out into a square or squarish, fill, roll, cut, let fluff up and bake. Pesto cheese rolls (my fave): fresh pesto and mozzarella, then top with more mozz before baking. Pizza rolls: marinara, veggies, meat, mozzarella, top with more cheese.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Dutch Treat

1 T yeast
2 c milk
2 tsp oil
2 tsp honey
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp salt
6 c bread flour

Filling:

splash of milk
2 apples, peeled and chopped
5 tsp brown sugar
cinnamon, mace, cloves, cardamom

Mix all

Make dough and divide into 2 parts. Roll out and spread with filling, leaving about 2" on 3 sides. Roll up and seal edges, put on baking sheet, brush with milk and slash if you like. Bake at 350F for about 25 minutes or so.

:)

Frisian Gingerbread

1 T yeast
2 c milk
6 c flour
1 tsp oil
1/3 c molasses
1 egg
1/2 tsp each: ginger, cloves, mace or nutmeg
1 tsp salt

Yield: 2 medium-size loaves

In a 6-quart mixing bowl, dissolve half the yeast in 1 cup milk. Add 1 cup flour. Mix well. Fer¬ment in a warm (75' F) place for 3 ½ hours (no longer than 5 hours). Then add the rest of the yeast and the milk. Mix well. Add the remaining ingredients, mixing the salt with the remaining flour, and work them into a dough.
Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for 6 to 7 minutes, until the dough is smooth, elastic, and somewhat glossy.
Return the dough to the mixing bowl and cover with a towel. Let rise in a warm (75 ° F.) place for 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
Divide the dough into 2 equal halves and shape each into an oblong loaf. Set on a baking sheet that has been lightly greased or covered with parchment. Cover with a towel and let rise again for 50 minutes. Brush with beaten egg white or milk.
Bake in a preheated 375' F. oven for 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the loaves from the baking sheet at once and allow them to cool on a wire rack.

Can you tell this one came from the same book as Rum Honey and Frisian Gingerbread. And Dutch Treat. I usually make this into spiral loaves

Sweet Almond Bread

1 T yeast
2 c milk
6 c bread flour
2 tsp oil
1/3 c honey
2 eggs
1/2 c chopped almonds
1 T almond extract
1 tsp salt

Yield: 2 medium-size loaves

In a 6-quart mixing bowl, dissolve half the yeast in 1 cup milk. Add 1 cup flour. Mix well. Fer¬ment in a warm (75' F) place for 3 ½ hours (no longer than 5 hours). Then add the rest of the yeast and the milk. Mix well. Add the remaining ingredients, mixing the salt with the remaining flour, and work them into a dough.
Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for 6 to 7 minutes, until the dough is smooth, elastic, and somewhat glossy.
Return the dough to the mixing bowl and cover with a towel. Let rise in a warm (75 ° F.) place for 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
Divide the dough into 2 equal halves and shape each into an oblong loaf. Set on a baking sheet that has been lightly greased or covered with parchment. Cover with a towel and let rise again for 50 minutes. Brush with milk or beaten egg white.
Bake in a preheated 375' F. oven for 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the loaves from the baking sheet at once and allow them to cool on a wire rack.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Another one from the same book, guess I should tell you that it's Old World Breads by Charles Scheele

http://www.amazon.com/World-Breads-Crossing-Specialty-Cookbook/dp/0895949024

Spiced Dutch Gingerbread

1 T yeast
2 c milk
6 c bread flour
2 tsp oil
4 tsp honey
2 eggs
1/4 c chopped candied orange peel
pinch each: ginger, cloves, cinnamon, mace or nutmeg
1 tsp salt

Make the same way as Rum Honey/Almond/Frisian Gingerbread, shape loaves how you like

From another book, I'll post the link when I remember which one

Massa Sovada (Portuguese recipe)

1 T yeast
4 T water
3/4 c + 2 T milk
1 c sugar
1 tsp salt
3 eggs
1/2 c butter, melted & cooled
6 c + flour

I usually add some vanilla and spices but that's just me. Shape into 2 spiral loaves and place in pie pans, bake at 350F. Let cool and dust with flour or powdered sugar

Atinkerer

One of the Regulars
I make a fantastic quick bread as a late night snack sometimes. It takes only about 20 minutes to make.

To make enough for one person mix:
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon oil/shortening

Mix up the dry ingredients then add shortening and distribute it well in the mix.

Over low/medium heat, preheat a frying pan with a generous amount of oil/shortening.

Add enough cold water to the flour mix to make it into a soft paste. Do Not Knead This Dough! Flour your hands and fold the dough to even out the consistency, then form into about a five inch disk. (If you divide the dough and make four small disks you'll have some fine biscuits)

Carefully place the disk(s) of dough into the hot oil.

Let this cook for ten minutes UNCOVERED in the frying pan. After ten minutes the bottom should be nicely browned.

Turn the bread over and let it fry for 10 more minutes.

Remove from hot oil and let cool off enough so you can eat it. Don't let it cool in the oil.

Enjoy

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner