Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breaking in Leather A-2

drummer4hire

New in Town
Hey all! First off, i'm excited to hear all the knowledge that "The Collective" will impart on me. Ok, enough of the flattery, it's time for business. I have a repro A-2 made by...KM? (currently at my girlfriends place) and i cannot for the life of me get it to break in. I've walked on it for a bit, wadded it up...and I've had it for almost four years. I wear it when i can, but here in sunny SoCal, opportunities are few and far between. And, do leather jackets run large? it's a size small, but still seems a tad large. Any thoughts? I'd really like this to look good...no, better, as it still looks good, just not quite right. Any help would be most appreciated

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Put it in a washing machine, full cylce, warm water and soap. Zip it up first.

That's what many do to break in a jacket. I've done it to all 8 of my newer jackets with no harm.

Or you can hand wash it.

Do not wring and do not dry near heat. It might take several days for it to dray and when it's still damp wear it for an hour and let it mould to your shape.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Seb Lucas said:
Put it in a washing machine, full cylce, warm water and soap. Zip it up first.

That's what many do to break in a jacket. I've done it to all 8 of my newer jackets with no harm.

Or you can hand wash it.

Do not wring and do not dry near heat. It might take several days for it to dray and when it's still damp wear it for an hour and let it mould to your shape.

I have seen few people saying that going into the shower with their leather jackets once or twice following by "hanging them dry". Probably wear them in the rain may work as well, as you are in SoCal.

Or, if you don't want to risk ruining the lining or the leather, just "go to bed" wearing your jacket for a few days.

Dav

One Too Many
It would be good to see a photo I can't imagine how a four year old worn leather jacket hasn't broken in, perhaps you're babying it too much.
I would have thought wearing it to bed should do the trick it certainly helped with my highwayman.

kampkatz

Practically Family
Although the wet treatment might seem a bit harsh, it should do the trick.
Apparently your jacket is made of tough hide to still look new after 4 years.

drummer4hire

New in Town
I probly do baby it, but not very extreme. It's also hard to coordinate clothes, given the fact that I am 22 and dress more or less as such (think SEMI-sagging pants) and can't stand when my shirts hang out below the jacket. But last season I said to hell with it and wore it CONSTANTLY. I might give the sleep=treatment a try first, then go with the wash if I haven't gotten what i want. Thanks all, and keep the knowledge coming

One of the Regulars
drummer4hire said:
I probly do baby it, but not very extreme. It's also hard to coordinate clothes, given the fact that I am 22 and dress more or less as such (think SEMI-sagging pants) and can't stand when my shirts hang out below the jacket. But last season I said to hell with it and wore it CONSTANTLY. I might give the sleep=treatment a try first, then go with the wash if I haven't gotten what i want. Thanks all, and keep the knowledge coming

I would love to see a picture of your jacket!;)

apba1166

A-List Customer
If the jacket is a bit large on you, the front may not break in w/o a lot of stuff that's been mentioned already, but the sleeves, back and shoulders should all be soft and pliable by now.

I have a black Schott HH that is 25 years old, worn a lot for several years way-back in all kinds of winter muck-but not much since, and while it is soft and not boardlike anymore, it still LOOKS newish and unbroken to the eye---part of that is the finish maybe or the black HH.

I'm not a grain-hound or much interested in what the jacket turns into after I start wearing it, nor a fan of those excessively grungy broken in jackets (I usually stop wearing mine at the point when others start wearing them). Just like wearing them for what they are

drummer4hire

New in Town
so i've worn it to bed for a few nights, and have seen great results. the front IS still giving me problems, but i've taken to walking on in it, and wadding it up. the washing scares me, as this is my favorite jacket, and i dont want to ruin it in any way. on a plus, the more the leather wears down, it sits and looks better. i think the used leather off a weeks dead animal; this stuff is TOUGH. and the company is FMC, but i can't find my particular jacket ANYWHERE

Papa M

A-List Customer
drummer4hire said:
so i've worn it to bed for a few nights, and have seen great results. the front IS still giving me problems....

Rather than going through further discomfort of wearing it in bed in hot California I suggest the following. Lay it out flat at the foot of your bed, lining facing down. Sleep with your feet and lower legs on top of the jacket. The natural leg movement during sleep will give it plenty of agitation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn