Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Gold Label Cafe

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I hear you, ton - and you are reflecting my own thoughts, to be honest. For some years I've considered the Brooks to be my favorite leather jacket pattern of all time and for weather conditions here, it is light and easy wearing. So part of me wants an over engineered, brand new version like some of the Buco repos that are made today.

Incidentally Brooks (under a reboot with new owners) make one for around $400 (US) in premium cowhide. US made, they say. Its called the 511C.

Last edited:
I hear you, ton - and you are reflecting my own thoughts, to be honest. For some years I've considered the Brooks to be my favorite leather jacket pattern of all time and for weather conditions here, it is light and easy wearing. So part of me wants an over engineered, brand new version like some of the Buco repos that are made today.

Incidentally Brooks (under a reboot with new owners) make one for around $550 (US) in premium cowhide. Its called the 511C.
I've seen those new Brooks and been curious in the past.

Same here, except that I don't even have any plans on getting back in the saddle. This must be what being dead feels like...
I had the day off the other day. Perfect sunny 75 degree day and instead of getting my bike out I was cleaning my basement the entire damn day looking for an old Vanson that was so crusty it wasn't worth the box I packed it in. And I never found it. Now that's pathetic.

Mysteryo

One Too Many
I have a Brooks 60's/70's for sale in the classified, it's a xxl size (chest 55 in, shoulder 21, waist 48,...)
I't NOT a gold label, but still it's a nice jacket

014737e82b664248be249ffa61dc6f10.jpg

Gamma68

One Too Many
Can anyone tell me how the later Brooks cafe racer jackets with the red/black label (see photo) compare to the older Brooks gold label cafe racers? Any difference in quality?

s-l1600.jpg

I've heard that the later yellow tag Brooks jackets actually weren't made in the US, while these black tag ones were.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Were they made in Korea? I recently heard that. I actually had a jacket identical to a Brooks 500 that was made in Korea. I don't remember if it said Brooks on it, however. Pretty sure it didn't.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I had the day off the other day. Perfect sunny 75 degree day and instead of getting my bike out I was cleaning my basement the entire damn day looking for an old Vanson that was so crusty it wasn't worth the box I packed it in. And I never found it. Now that's pathetic.

Hum, sounds like me Tony!!

I was planning to tear a ceiling out of my basement Sunday afternoon, instead I powerwashed the house as it was 80F and sunny.

Luckily, I didn't find a lost jacket while powerwashing the house. :)

SJC

Suspended
Recently received a fresh jacket from Ricky Sinaga here on the forum. Not that I was in the market for another cafe jacket but... I have no will power and cave easily to new leather purchases.

I was not to be disappointed. The leather is butter soft, almost too much so for riding gear. Great grain and wear patterns to the hide. The liner is showing a bit of age but still solid and strong, all zips in good smooth working order. Needs a bit of an air out, little mothbally but nothing a bit of air and sunshine can get rid of. It has a bi-swing back, which is something I am not quite used to. I dont typically go for it in a jacket, but it does add mobility and forward reach.

View attachment 45370 View attachment 45371 View attachment 45372 View attachment 45373
Even though Brooks is not super high end , I ❤️❤️❤️My Brooks trucker steerhide.The leather they have chosen for their jackets has held up to the test of time.

Jamie Goodson

New in Town
ton, it's this that is for me the essential mystery behind leather jackets.

I am really close to sending a Brooks to Johnson Leathers to copy and "fix" up. Better hide, cotton drill lining, a few other tweaks. But I wonder, will the magic disappear?

Jamie Goodson

New in Town
Hi, FYI Brooks is still very much in business in Plymouth MA and still makes in the USA. We also make the same traditional styles. We also do repairs on older jackets. I see many posts about trying to date Brooks jackets. The old black/gold labels were replaced in 1978 with the newer label with the red stripe and"Made in USA" instead of "Detroit". Also, early jackets had no zip out liners. You can always contact me through our site brooksleather. I'm glad to help with your questions. Thanks for your interest in Brooks!

ksozay

One Too Many
Can anyone tell me how the later Brooks cafe racer jackets with the red/black label (see photo) compare to the older Brooks gold label cafe racers? Any difference in quality?

s-l1600.jpg

I've got a number of the gold label CRs from Brooks and I like them. Pretty lightweight but very easy to wear. They age very well. I've also got one CR with a label similar to the one you've posted above, I believe these were made in the 70s and I actually wear this one quite a bit. One of my favorite CRs. In terms of quality, the leather is nice, good weight and feel. It's not the same feel and weight at the older jackets, not sure if this is due to change in quality of the hides or just the shift change to leather types from the 60s to 70s. Around this time, I noted they started adding the internal liner zip-in option.

This is a very long way of saying - leather quality feels different, design of jacket is mostly similar. Mine still uses the same zippers. Fit is less tapered and fitted but still pretty standard for a good CR. But it wears very well and though it is not as popular as the gold label versions, I still really like mine. The fit through the shoulders and chest feels better to me.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Hi, FYI Brooks is still very much in business in Plymouth MA and still makes in the USA. We also make the same traditional styles. We also do repairs on older jackets. I see many posts about trying to date Brooks jackets. The old black/gold labels were replaced in 1978 with the newer label with the red stripe and"Made in USA" instead of "Detroit". Also, early jackets had no zip out liners. You can always contact me through our site brooksleather. I'm glad to help with your questions. Thanks for your interest in Brooks!

Thanks for the information

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

Welcome Jamie - always good to hear from makers. May contact your site but am I right in understanding that your jackets are still made of 3.5oz hide? Any chance of a lighter hide? Cheers - Seb.

Gamma68

One Too Many
On a side note, I just returned from Universal Plumbing Supply, where I ordered a part for my bathroom sink. This shop is the former location of the Brooks Leather Company.

The current owner knew about the building's history. He purchased it 18 years ago from the Brooks family. Two brothers inherited the Brooks company from their father.

Sadly, there is no stash of NOS jackets lying around. However, the present owner tells me that on a damp day, the building still smells like leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner