Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks that needs repair to lining - worth it or not?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is a nice looking brown Gold Label Brooks on eBay that is whispering sweet nothings to me BUT the lining has a pretty significant rip at the collar.

If I were in the states it might be worth getting it relined but here in the land of overpriced tailoring, it would cost more than the jacket.

Do you think it would be an easy enough self repair (stitching or maybe iron on patch) or just let this one go? Or any other options to fix?

9d507d4ad4a61000e7ec71a74d833d2a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

01flhr

One of the Regulars
Well, best i can say is do the math for the jacket and the repair and see where youd be and what you can buy for that money. You would have a brand new custom liner in the brooks however

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I'd pass on it, unless I knew someone local who I knew could to the work affordably. I would not be inclined to DIY, but if had the skills, I might, but I definitely would not do an iron-on patch.

It it were my jacket and I already owned it, and liked it enough, I'd keep it and find someone who could reline it.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Another option could be to just remove the lining altogether and just wear it unlined.
Some cafe racers of the time came like that.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I know that lining. I bet it is weak and ready to tear all over. It will cost around $150-300 to re-line. I am exploring having mine done this week. Got a cheap quote for basic poly at $130 in Melb.

BobJ

Practically Family
Looks gross - more like rot and decay than a tear.

I've had leather jackets relined by a local seamstress who just does odd jobs from her home. It's not rocket science for an experienced seamstress. You might want to ask around and see if anyone is interested in the project.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
seems like the fabrics is decaying allover, not sure worth lining at your local tailor fee, but if you happen to plan a vacation to Bali, could get a tailor who would work on your jacket while you're vacationing, my uncle always have custom made shirts made there every time he visit us and they do a great job. much cheaper option would just leave a long sleeve shirt as a layering piece permanently with the jacket.

PN, you can easily do it yourself.
There still seems to be enough material on both sides for the thread to hold on so stitching it up should be pretty straightforward. All you need is a little time and patience. Won't be very pretty but nobody is going to notice anyway and if the jacket is cheap, why not? I wouldn't pass on it because of that. Plus it's kinda fun. I've done this exact thing on two jackets and actually manage to sell them afterwards (I pointed out the flaw of course and the buyers didn't mind).

The tailor will tell you to replace the whole thing because they want to do the proper job and that's okay. But $150 is a LOT for just re-lining a jacket! Here it's no more than $30...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Mon, I got 7 quotes for a reline from all over Australia. Size 42 bike jacket. Prices ran to $400. We simply don't have the population or the leather jacket wearers to have cheaper prices on this. But $30... really?

The best place used to be Mars leathers - it cost $150 there 10 years ago but the guy sold up.

I bet there's some cheap backyard Vietnamese repair genius somewhere about but Internet searching and ringing around have not borne fruit.

That Brooks jacket will have lining so shot repairing would be pointless. That lining just disintegrates when it goes.

Fonzie

One Too Many
I did change the lining (body and sleeves) of a perfecto style jacket and it was AUD$150, but I bought the lining separately and gave it to the seamstress to replace so total around $185.
It is cheaper if you only want to replace the body and not the sleeves lining, it's an easy enough job for a qualified seamstress.
It could be a nice little project to choose and buy the fabric you want separately and only replace the body lining, I'm sure you can get a decent quote.
I wouldn't do it again though, it only makes sense if you're really going to wear the jacket. I have that one boxed in the garage, I don't wear it and I don't want to sell it for a loss now... Live and learn.

ProteinNerd

I know that lining. I bet it is weak and ready to tear all over. It will cost around $150-300 to re-line. I am exploring having mine done this week. Got a cheap quote for basic poly at $130 in Melb.

Can you let me know how you get on?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's finicky work even for a seamstress. And the good people use all the original holes to reattach the fabric. This is highly skilled work as is patterning a proper lining material that won't tear up easily.

If I get a chance to do this I'll let you know Prote, but I have a lot of competing items to get through at the moment. My guy is in Carnegie, Melbourne.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
The upside, if you do this, is you can choose a funky lining of your preference. I've always liked those silk escape maps (original ones that one can still find for cheap, not repros) used as linings, for example.

Last edited:

Thuggee

Practically Family
It's finicky work even for a seamstress. And the good people use all the original holes to reattach the fabric. This is highly skilled work as is patterning a proper lining material that won't tear up easily.

If I get a chance to do this I'll let you know Prote, but I have a lot of competing items to get through at the moment. My guy is in Carnegie, Melbourne.

Do you mind sharing the contact details of the person you use for lining replacements maybe by PM if you don't want to post it here? I have a $1000 plus leather jacket I'm contemplating replacing the lining on it's a keeper so I don't mind paying $$ if it's done properly ( the original lining stitch holes are used and so forth) I would rather use someone with a known track record that comes recommended over a unknown entity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benny Holiday

There's a factory not far from me, at Villawood, that makes work clothing and makes the leather jackets for the police, called Workscene. They put a replacement zip in my Aero halfbelt a couple of years back, wouldn't hurt to give 'em a call. Their number is 02 8707 1555, they're at 171 Woodville Rd.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have only been in discussion with my guy so I can't recommend him yet. If you want to use cotton drill as Aero does I suspect you will need to keep looking. You may even need to source the fabric yourself. Benny's contact is worth talking to.

Fonzie

One Too Many
The lady that replaced my lining did a very good job, it's in Adelaide though.
Shipping back and forth would be around Au$40. I'm happy to help you organising it if you don't find anything better, but I'm sure there is people in Sydney for this.
Years back living in Sydney I did some alterations on an A2 and the job was good. the tailor was in Crows Nest.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Here in Perth Western Australia , the "go to guy" is a Greek leatherworker , does repairs and makes his own Jackets for retail also.

12 years ago(ish) he relined my first Eastman Fliegerjacke with black cotton drill , ( the original blue had worn thru after DAILY wear for 12+years !)

At the same time , while the Eastman was disassembled for the new lining , I had him make me a "copy" in Goat ( I think ?) , black leather with black lining.

Overall the "copy" was lighter and cooler ( temp' wise !) than the Eastman , so became the main daily wearer , and NO ONE else had anything similar.

Called his business Sinnikka leather , based on Osborne Park in the Perth metro , should be able to google him up OK.

I was last in , took a mate there a couple of years ago , and he had jackets for retail AWFULLY similar to my Eastman Luftwaffe haha...

Thuggee

Practically Family
Here in Perth Western Australia , the "go to guy" is a Greek leatherworker , does repairs and makes his own Jackets for retail also.

12 years ago(ish) he relined my first Eastman Fliegerjacke with black cotton drill , ( the original blue had worn thru after DAILY wear for 12+years !)

At the same time , while the Eastman was disassembled for the new lining , I had him make me a "copy" in Goat ( I think ?) , black leather with black lining.

Overall the "copy" was lighter and cooler ( temp' wise !) than the Eastman , so became the main daily wearer , and NO ONE else had anything similar.

Called his business Sinnikka leather , based on Osborne Park in the Perth metro , should be able to google him up OK.

I was last in , took a mate there a couple of years ago , and he had jackets for retail AWFULLY similar to my Eastman Luftwaffe haha...

http://www.sinikka.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Yessiree , that's the man !

I'm still unsure as to how to attach links and photos on the site myself ( or even if I can yet ?)

And yes , some of the jackets he has on his list have a very strong resemblance to my original 1990 Eastman Fliegerjacke Luftwaffe

Why not , "imitation being the sincerest form of flattery" and all...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR