Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown FQHH vs. Vintage Brown FQHH

Doublegun

Practically Family
Hoping someone can post pictures of jackets (preferably Cafe Racers) made from these two leathers, side by side.

Thanks,

JDG

Doublegun

Practically Family
That was pretty helpful. Especially HD's statement that "vintage" was slightly lighter (in weight) and softer. I am not as concerned with the coloration as I am the texture and feel of the leathers.

Cheers

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
This thread describing my vintage brown Cheyenne has some of my impressions and a few photos. It's been a while but as I recall there wasn't a huge difference in the weight but the vintage was way more broken in. Perhaps someone with more definitive knowledge can chime in but from what I understand the vintage is put through some type of roller to give it the more broken in feel and look. The vintage brown jacket was very wearable from the get go. The color difference between the coats in my thread was apparently not always the case. I've seen some "non-vintage" brown leather that's close to the same. The non-vintage is very smooth and much stiffer. No creases at all.

That was pretty helpful. Especially HD's statement that "vintage" was slightly lighter (in weight) and softer. I am not as concerned with the coloration as I am the texture and feel of the leathers.

Cheers

DG
I think Aero has changed their 'Vintage HH' since I bought my HB. also..keep in mind that 'batches' of hides can differ somewhat in weight and even color..although they still may meet a similar standard.
Case in point is Aero's newer oil pull HH which has evolved into a nicer hide IMO.
HD

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
Pics were taken with my point and shoot. The Cheyenne is great and keeps getting better. Hasn't changed much since the last photos I posted (near the end of that thread) but I'll try to add a few new ones sometime soon. I'd love to see more photos of jackets/coats with a few years wear.

Last edited:

Windward

Practically Family
Here's my Vintage brown FQHH Windward ... much more grain than my standard FQHH which I sold.
VinatgeBrownwithblackcottonpoplinoutdoor.jpg

For comparison:
Before ... and after a little bit pecard ...
VinatgeBrownFQHH_leftdryspots_rightafterpecardtreatment.jpg

After a bit of Pecard its still vintage, isn't
AfterPecard10.jpg

Last edited:
Like that vintage Windy. Seems people may have been turned off by the name and the proliferation of awful "aged" and "distressed" leather over the years. This seems to be an exception and looks great! Thanks for posting these up. Very nice.

Doublegun

Practically Family
What's the saying: "Ask and ye shall receive" Thanks all. Ok thinking this is what I am going to order:

2-pocket Cafe Racer
Vintage brown FQHH
Size 46
+ 1" sleeve length (what I did for my LHB)
Satin lined sleeves
Biker's back/half-back

Pretty basic, nothing fancy.

According to Amanda I'll have a 10-12 week wait which should give me time to break the news to "she who must be obeyed." However, I think I'll need a very carefully thought out plan on how to introduce the idea of a new Triumph Scrambler. Suggestions?

What's the saying: "Ask and ye shall receive" Thanks all. Ok thinking this is what I am going to order:

2-pocket Cafe Racer
Vintage brown FQHH
Size 46
+ 1" sleeve length (what I did for my LHB)
Satin lined sleeves
Biker's back/half-back

Pretty basic, nothing fancy.

According to Amanda I'll have a 10-12 week wait which should give me time to break the news to "she who must be obeyed." However, I think I'll need a very carefully thought out plan on how to introduce the idea of a new Triumph Scrambler. Suggestions?

Just put on your bigboy pants and make the announcement,DG..! lol

Doublegun

Practically Family
Then you'd be close to me...and I could give you much more good advice...:D ;) :eeek:

True. Still trying to decide if your good advice would be a good thing or not. I'll tell you this: we should meet sometime in Anderson or Muncie for a beer to two. That's the least I could do for you in consideration of the advice and direction you have given me so far (seriously).

True. Still trying to decide if your good advice would be a good thing or not. I'll tell you this: we should meet sometime in Anderson or Muncie for a beer to two. That's the least I could do for you in consideration of the advice and direction you have given me so far (seriously).

We certainly should...and very well could. I would offer no advice or direction over beer..nor politics or religion. :D
Thanks for the compliment.
Let me know when you are in the area!
HD

Funny, I've been trying to pry the Scrambler into a conversation as well. Not done it yet, sans a couple "hey, look at this" on the iPad late at night. Pics of the scrambler in matte green. Baby steps...

Doublegun

Practically Family
Funny, I've been trying to pry the Scrambler into a conversation as well. Not done it yet, sans a couple "hey, look at this" on the iPad late at night. Pics of the scrambler in matte green. Baby steps...

Earlier this spring a pal and I decided we were going to get bikes this fall when our kids are at college and we're "empty-nesters." The idea was received with a chuckle and an "ok, but I'm not getting on the back of it." Perhaps it was the several beers but she seemed open to the idea. However, I probably need to confirm college will be paid for BEFORE I bring up the idea of a bike again. (However, I do have life insurance to cover college and the mortgage so....).

I'm thinking the same thing: Scrambler in green. Seems to me to be the classic British bike. If you haven't done so already check out the Scrambler video's on YouTube.

Doublegun

Practically Family

[video=youtube_share;CyJZQIViejQ]http://youtu.be/CyJZQIViejQ[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran