Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brunswick panatrope

rue

I was asked by request to show off my great grandmother's 1922 Brunswick panatrope.

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

It's in need of repair and it's about to be sent off, but it worked up until 2 moves ago. I love the sound it makes :)

Here's an advertisement I found online with the exact same one.
2030a.jpg

According to the guy that is going to fix it they are pretty rare in this condition, but they don't cost very much anymore because most people don't want them. I think he said this one, when it was new, would have been around $800 on the west coast and $650 in the east.

PS. I tried to find a thread on these or even just phonographs and couldn't, so I hope it's okay that I started one.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Are we sure about 1922?

-Loudspeakers were still not common for home radios in 1922, and were not yet built into cabinets.

-House current power was still a year or so away as well, and you'd need it to run anything more than a radio (such as a radio-phonograph).

-The Panatrope was the first electrically reproducing home phono. So it probably rolled out in 1925, when the industry began electrical recording.

MissMittens

One Too Many
-Loudspeakers were still not common for home radios in 1922, and were not yet built into cabinets.

-House current power was still a year or so away as well, and you'd need it to run anything more than a radio (such as a radio-phonograph).

-The Panatrope was the first electrically reproducing home phono. So it probably rolled out in 1925, when the industry began electrical recording.

1926 apparently. The 1922 on the nomenclature plate is a patent.

rue

Well, I'm no expert, but that's the last date on the back and the fix-it guy said it was, but if you know more about these things I would love to hear it :) Oh and it's not a radio. I'm not sure if you knew that.
Also I do know that my great grandfather built their house in 20' in California and he owned an electrical components company and made circuit breakers out there, so maybe he would have had more advanced electrical??

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
So that RCA patent language covers only the amplifier and speaker...Interesting.

I know why no one wants these, BTW. Early electric phonographs fall thru cracks in collector interests which, by now, are very well defined:

- If you're into phonographs, your interest stops at acoustics.
- If you're into records, you only play them on modern equipment.
- If you're into radios, you don't give a tinker's cuss about phonographs or records of any kind.

rue

So that RCA patent language covers only the amplifier and speaker...Interesting.

I know why no one wants these, BTW. Early electric phonographs fall thru cracks in collector interests which, by now, are very well defined:

- If you're into phonographs, your interest stops at acoustics.
- If you're into records, you only play them on modern equipment.
- If you're into radios, you don't give a tinker's cuss about phonographs or records of any kind.

Well, like I always say.... the value of an object is in the eye of the beholder and since it's been in my family for just under a hundred years I can't imagine loving it more ;)
It's interesting information though. Do you know anything else about it??

LizzieMaine

Bartender
RCA actually built those units for Brunswick -- they were dickering with buying out the Brunswick phono and record operation at the time, but the deal fell thru and they ended up buying out Victor Talking Machine instead. You'll see that same horseshoe-magnet pickup on early Victor Electrolas.

The rubber damper inside that head will probably be hardened with age, and should be replaced for best results -- otherwise it'll wear the records more than it should.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR