Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burritt Alley-San Francisco

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Having just finished reading The Maltese Falcon, I know the answer, but I'll let others take this one.

I'll say this...Sam had to change the lettering on the office door afterward.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
A couple of years ago I drew up a map of the locations in "The Maltese Falcon" and walked it with my mom for mother's day. We ended it by grabbing lunch at John's Grill.
It's interesting how little a lot of the addresses have changed since the 1930's. (I presume Mr. filmnoirphotos knows about that)
People can also pay to take a walking tour of all of Hammet's San Francisco.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I'm glad to relay the trip.
We took a ferry into San Francisco and walked to Spade's apartment at 891 Post St.
Our next stop was the Stockton Tunnel, where Archer's body was found.
We walked up to Burritt Street (which started this whole thing) where Archer was shot by you-know-who.
Then we walked a few blocks to Spade's office building: 111 Sutter.
Next is the Hotel St. Francis at 335 Powell. In the book it is called the St. Mark.
Onto the corner of Powell and Geary. There you'll the Geary Theater, where Sam Spade talks to Joel Cairo.
Next is the Bellevue Hotel located on Geary near Taylor.
Thursby's apartment is on Geary near Leavenworth.
The last stop was lunch at John's Grill. This is where Spade had chops and a potato, I opted for the shrimp louie.

We skipped some locations. The Hall of Justice, where Spade sees his lawyer, was too out of the way.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I found a picture of "The Maltese Falcon" "mapback". I was unable to add the picture to my post.
It had some locations I missed. It might be time to put on the fedora and trench coat and take another trip to "The City".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner