Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California Wines

duggap

Banned
Since not all of us live in California, maybe some of those who do can clue us in as to the next great California wine. No doubt they have come into their own and it is getting harder to find all the good ones. I use to be able to buy a good Stags Leap, but they have just about disappeared from our local market. So what should I be keeping an eye out for.[huh]

Dagwood

Practically Family
I'll give some thought to the next great California wine.

In the meantime, if you come across Mondavi's Moscato d'Oro, you may want to pick up a bottle or three. I was told by a local wine merchant they stopped making it in 2006. A very good dessert wine.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I work for Trader Joes (20 yrs total) so I've dabbled in Wines. There are many variables to wine. California wines are indeed World famous in fact we rival France. Some believe we are better ! We are fortunate to taste some of our products. But again there are many types Cabernet, Merlot, Shiraz etc.
I myself am a fan of Australian Wines they are nice and full bodied for the money. I also like wines from Chilie they have come along way. Everybody has different tastes so drink what pleases YOU. Too many people are hung up on Labels and Price tags. I've drank some 12-13 dollar bottles that were crap and 5.00 that were awesome. The big seller now as any Trader Joe fan will tell you is "Two buck Chuck". It is Charles Shaw and it's OK , It's a good everyday drinker. Give the Chilieans or Aussies a try you'll be suprised !

dnjan

One Too Many
But the best west coast wine actually comes from Washington

Not over oaked! Not so tannic as to kill the taste buds! And not so high in alcohol as to prevent a person from enjoying a second glass!

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Washington does have some of the best Reislings and Gewurtztraminers around. Washington is almost on the same latitude as Germany. Also a little trivia on German Wines green Bottles come from the Mosel and Brown bottles from the Rhine.

dnjan

One Too Many
If you are just looking at Washington white wines, you are missing out.
Merlots - absolutely look to Washington first.
Cabernets - some outstanding wines that avoid the flaws (over-oaked and too high alcohol) mentioned earlier.
Syrahs - just starting to come into their own, but some exellent ones are being made.
Zin - yes, go Californian. And try to deal with too much alcohol (it is still the best made)
Pinot Noir - look to Oregon.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Unfortunately we at TJs only carry Columbia Crest Cabs and Merlots. I would like to try others. Merlots have softer tannins which is my preference. On the other hand I like a BIG Shiraz from Australia.

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Hmmm...

The next great "cult" wine, since things like Screaming Eagle are unavailable, and Caymus and its ilk are out of the price range.

I think that Don is correct that to find "the next great wine" we must think outside of the box- the box, in this case, being Napa Valley. There are certainly some fantastic wines coming out of the northwest. I had a delicious Pinot not to long ago from E-I-E-I-O. As I recall it was in the $30ish range. Also, a newer maker from California, George, which retails for around $60 is making some wonderful Pinots. If you prefer Zins, although again Don is right in that they tend to be "hot" (higher than average alcohol content), Turley is putting out some fantastic wine from the Central Coast... And don't even start me on international wines, though with the exchange rate what it is finding bargains is challenging.

The key, as always, is try many different wines, from as many places as possible. "Good" is in the mouth of the taster; I have been fortunate to sample many of the cult wines, only to walk away saying that it wasn't that great.

Cheers,

RC

dnjan

One Too Many
rcinlv said:
The key, as always, is try many different wines, from as many places as possible.
Cheers,

RC
You left out "as often as possible"!

Recently I have been impressed with wines from the Yakima Valley (Washington). Easily within my price range, and there are a number of them (cabs and merlots) actually made at 12.5% alcohol! So the third glass still tastes. (and tastes good)

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Can you believe I live in the area and don't drink wine?
I'm still trying to find Petri Wine that is the sponsor for the Sherlock Holmes and "Casebook of Gregory Hood" radio shows.

Sincerely,
the Wolf

rumblefish

One Too Many
I don't know how this rates with everyone else, but I consider the Zinfandels from Ravenswood a great bargain. There was a big push on it in the mid 90's on Long Island, the Napa and the Lodi being the main two. There are many more from other vineyards and special reserves from this winery that I had out in California, but the distrubutors don't bother carrying or pushing them here. I had a friend in the liquor distribution buisiness that I used to get great stuff from; Caymus, BV, Ferrari Carano, Sterling, he even got some of his competitors wines...But no more, the creep chose another career. I've got no "IN" anymore.

I remember in the early 90's when french wines were a great bargain. I used to buy Linch Bages, Haut Brion, Lagrange (when it was first bought by Suntory), Cos D'estournel, Latour, etc. no more of that either. That was before wine magazines turned everyone into a connoiseur:p :) . $50, $40, $30, even $20 a bottle made case buying and cellaring a good prospect. Now I've narrowed my selections, it's almost all California, a few Ports and some Long Island (and realy no complaints). So I guess that's why my wine cellar has shrunk and the beer has taken over. Now beer has gotten expensive,,,time to start making my own hooch.;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
If you see Rex Goliath Cab or Merlot in your local store you're in for an affordable treat. Big b@llsy spicy reds, and I think under $12 (haven't had 'em in a while). Look for the rooster on the label.

univibe88

One Too Many
I spent a few years living in the Bay Area and was spoiled by the prices. I got used to paying $10-$12 for wines that now cost me $18-$20 back in Boston. Not to mention there is so much more selection in Calif - many of the wines just don't make it back easet. I can get better values/selection in South American and European wines here.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Wines

Having tried some of the Mondavis a few years ago with my US cousin I appreciate that there are good California wines. Years ago they were mainly cats...s due to the Gallo type wines being flogged overseas all the time and the reputation suffering to boot. The Aussies have always tried to sell decent budget wines overseas eventhough we have out selection of two buck chuck as they elegantly refer to it.

The top Chilean wines are superb and the vin ordinaires that they sell in Australia are drinkable at AUD10 a bottle but not as good value as the local equivalent.

Any of the Aussie Orlando or Rosemount wines are great value as of course the top of the tree - the Grange Hermitage - which cost 100s of dollars a bottle. An Aussie wine aroung AUD30 is a great drink every time- I am talking reds here by the way..

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Australians will always be my favorite, even though Monty Python made light of them ! They are generally Full Bodied for the money. We used to carry Carisbrook years ago that came out of I believe the Hunter Valley. Now it seems Yellow Tail is predominant. I am currently dabbling with the Spanish right now. I'm still avoiding the Italians right now except an occassional Pinot Grigio. I still can't drink Chianti's for some reason.

duggap

Banned
Thanks for the comments. Yes, Cookie, the Aussie wines are quite good and seem to get better each year. But there are several of the small vineyards in California that don't get to export their wines because the locals buy them up. And some of these are reported to be quite impressive. I have thought about going out there and buying the base stock for a good wine cellar and maybe pick up some of the local stock you never see out of the state.:p

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In the 1990s I sold a lot of Ravenswood Zinfandels to customers. Hot, spicy, "big." True, a high alcohol content ... I loved it. Their motto was "no wimpy wines" and as I drank them throughout the entire decade, they informed my tastes. In the 2000s, they got bought, and got wimpier. The next thing to capture the hot zinfandel phenomenon was Dancing Bull Zinfandel, which was a wine deliberately made to recapture the 1990s Ravenswood feel.

My wine connoisseurship has gone downhill ever since Trader Joe's has been selling Two Buck Chuck (i.e. Charles Shaw). It's not good, but it's also not bad at all; and the price cannot be beat ...

rumblefish

One Too Many
Doran said:
The next thing to capture the hot zinfandel phenomenon was Dancing Bull Zinfandel, which was a wine deliberately made to recapture the 1990s Ravenswood feel.
Would you consider Dancing Bull a good zinfandel?
I did a search for local distrubutors, and its available at a lot of places close buy.
Thanks for the tip.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rumblefish said:
Would you consider Dancing Bull a good zinfandel?
I did a search for local distrubutors, and its available at a lot of places close buy.
Thanks for the tip.

I have not tried it in years, but it was great around 2002.

The Zinfandel style of wine really popped in California. It comes from a grape called Primitivo, from Italy. You can get Primitivo wine here, but it's not made the same way as a good strong California Zinfandel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy