Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California Wines

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
univibe88 said:
I agree. Amador County is also great. It seems like many of the greatest Zins don't make it far from California.

Most of the stuff I can buy here in Boston is from Sonoma or south coast and is pretty tame, 13%ABV stuff. I can't find the Sierra Foothills, jammy, spicy, 15%+ABV stuff that just knocks your socks off.

Sierra Foothills? Sounds up my alley. I'll ask my people. One of my best friends is still in the business. Thanks for the lead.

Memnon

New in Town
I really like Eberle, Meridian, Grey Wolf and Peachy Canyon wines from Paso Robles. They're kind of hard to find, though, even here in Bakersfield, which isn't very far from Paso Robles. I think Trader Joe's might carry some Paso wines.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
What the U.S. did to the French, the Aussies are doing to us; Makin' good wine cheaper. ;)

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Just read thru this thread and would like to add my two cents...
I've been a wine (drinking!) amateur since about 1974 and camped (as: in a tent) in the Napa valley in 1979, going thru Caymus with the late Charles (Sr.) and Chuck (Jr.) Wagner. Back in those years, I had about a hundred bottles of various California wines in my celler (in Belgium), mostly Napa but also some Sonoma and Santa Cruz mountain (Dr. David Bruce and Ridge) wines. This was at the times when over here, they alleged (liars!) California wines gave one a headache; snobs!
These days are over, in many respects (and respect is one such reason).
I went around the world in wine, Chili, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and to tell you the truth, I landed back in France (with Spain and Italy on the side, less frequented by me, Germany and even little Luxemburg being just as interesting winemaking countries in their own ways).
If you care to know the reason I am perfectly happy with France? Well, it has nothing to do with alleged snobbery; after all France is a neigboring country, I go there at least once a year. And I don't buy Bordeaux: they're (at best) great and (in that case) expensive. Burgundy (Pinot Noir and Chardonnay) is tops but I don't bother seeking them out nor paying for them; too irregular due to fickle weather. It's the many small regions, the highly individualistic small producers that to it for me. The current Euro/$ rate of exchange seriously distort the figures (for Americans), but I'm talking medium priced wines, in my book that means anything between $20 and $30 a bottle. A world of marvellous country wines (as compared to -usually- industrial produce) of otherwise good, decent "bodegas" in what is called, over here, "world" wines. At times a bit severe, never sweet (except for the ones that have to be), great stuff, very often the "model" for similar-styled wine wherever in the world they are made (Italy is one notable exception: a world apart, highly recommended; they need no "models"). Never mind trying to buy many of such wines in supermarkets. Supermarkets only serve the purpose of "squeezing" these producers... Go to the vineyard, usually you stay two hours and if all goes well, become friends. Once got invited to the hand-grape picking: four hours of work followed by six hours at the long table in the chai, food and wine, oh yes. Frog culture lol . In this particular case, I'll name the wine: Château Les Croisille, Fages (Cahors AOC). Spectacularly good, natural, fruity, dark, deep, elegant and long-lasting Malbec for $12.50 a bottle. It should be available in England ("Decanter" did mention it).
Did you notice I like wine? Good!
Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24