Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Camels Never Get On Your Nerves!

Gene

Practically Family
I picked this up at an antique store today. It's a promotional Camel booklet from 1934 with several "nerve tests," I guess to prove that unlike other cigarettes, Camels "won't get on your nerves."

I only wish I could be so naive.

camelnerves1.jpg

camelnerves2.jpg

camelnerves3.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yep...The Camel brand itself tied in with Middle Eastern tobacco (really a blend of Turkish and domestic).
In the 'teens and before, there was a fashion for Turkish or Egyptian cigs, such as Murad (all Turkish tobacco) and Fatima (a Turkish blend). Camel, introduced in 1913, reflected the trend.
3068672349_67884deddc.jpg

Scribner's Magazine, March, 1915.
3559224921_e655ae53f9.jpg

Source unknown, 1915.

Fatima carried on into the '50s as one of the first king-size smokes, visible - or rather, audible - as sponsor of radio's Dragnet.
Jack%20Webb%20-%20Fatima%20Cigarettes%20Store%20Display.jpg

Store display, 1950. Jack Webb's mic appears to be falling off its stand.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Unreal! :(
The brain washing that the media has historically carried out on the American public is just unbelievable! This is the main reason I refuse to watch most television today, the "programming".

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
Jack%20Webb%20-%20Fatima%20Cigarettes%20Store%20Display.jpg

Store display, 1950. Jack Webb's mic appears to be falling off its stand.

Maj.Nick Danger said:
Unreal! :(
The brain washing that the media has historically carried out on the American public is just unbelievable! This is the main reason I refuse to watch most television today, the "programming".

Some have noted that Jack Webb might have continued into the 1980s had not his drinking and smoking habits accelerated his death at the age of 62. Married three times.

That should be noted Maj. as well I agree with you!!! Historically, the tobacco industry has been a powerful lobby in the United States as well as a lucrative media sponsor. :eusa_doh:

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Any idea why they cost so much? Makes NO sense. Without a filter, they have to be cheaper to make?

They truly are better tobacco - by the nature of the brand's tradition and because filterless cigarettes can not hide how crappy the shake is that is used in filtered cigarettes.

Also, filterless cigs are made in far fewer quantities requiring their own tooling setup. A rarity among cancer sticks, and a premium.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR