Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Campdraft with center dent bash?

dawgvet

Familiar Face
Just wondering if anyone has a Campdraft with a center dent bash? I can't seem to get mine to look right or either its so deep that the dent pushes down on the top of my head, which I don't like. Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Jedidiah

T Rick

Practically Family
Been thinking of changing mine to that, but so far it's still a teardrop/C. I think I may have taken the crown height down too much when I bashed mine.

I have mine in a sort of 5 point diamond bash and the front is much higher than the back. It's got a high crown and if you are not used to a high crown you will have to manipulate the bash to "use up" the crown height to lower it to what you are used to.

I have a style in mind that you see in the movies now and then with the front pinch really high and the back about as low as i can get it without being ridiculous.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Though it is not a Campdraft, other than it's brim dimension, it is similar in crownshape and size, here's my Bushman in the crease you want to see. I don't bash my hats as bashing them around ends up with a beat up hat :) But here's a CREASE similar to what you are asking to see :)

Bushman1.jpg

Bushman1-1.jpg

Onward thru the Fog :)

I usually do center dents on hats with lower open crowns that can't do a good teardrop or diamond crease. The Campdraft has ample crown & can do a center dent but would have an extremely tall crown if that is what you are going for. My 5.5" crowns can take a center dent look okay but my taller ones, except for going to a cattleman/alpine type crease don't look good with a center dent. This vintage Open Road below looks good with a center dent but not sure a Campdraft will with it's extra crown height, JMHO...
vintageOR1.jpg

vintageOR2.jpg

vintageOR3.jpg

dawgvet

Familiar Face
Thanks for the input, but I was also wondering if the dent ever comes down far enough to feel it on you noggin? I hate that and have stuck with my teardrop so far. Just always like the look of a center dent, looks more "traditional fedora" than any other "crease" :p

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the input, but I was also wondering if the dent ever comes down far enough to feel it on you noggin? I hate that and have stuck with my teardrop so far. Just always like the look of a center dent, looks more "traditional fedora" than any other "crease" :p

My solution to this problem is to do what I call a "modified" center dent -- it's a center dent with a raised ridge running the length of the dent to keep it off the top of the noggin. Here are a couple of examples...

Portis-b.jpg

Buck-4.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
My solution to this problem is to do what I call a "modified" center dent -- it's a center dent with a raised ridge running the length of the dent to keep it off the top of the noggin. Here are a couple of examples...

Portis-b.jpg

Buck-4.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

I've done a similar thing with the center-dent crease in my Squatter :

Squatter1001.jpg

Squatter1013.jpg

Onward thru tha Fog:)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I've done a similar thing with the center-dent crease in my Squatter

Hmmmm... I'm not really seeing that crease as very similar. From the photos, it doesn't seem that the crease has retained a real center dent, and I can't see that there is any raised portion -- the crown just seems sunk down to me.

Cheers,
JtL

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hmmmm... I'm not really seeing that crease as very similar. From the photos, it doesn't seem that the crease has retained a real center dent, and I can't see that there is any raised portion -- the crown just seems sunk down to me.

Cheers,
JtL

It's a bad photo but it does have the raised portion as you showed.

Onward thru the Fog:)

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
I have mine in a sort of 5 point diamond bash and the front is much higher than the back. It's got a high crown and if you are not used to a high crown you will have to manipulate the bash to "use up" the crown height to lower it to what you are used to.

Could you post a photo of that 5-point diamond? I just attempted a 4-pointer in mine ...

5346874933_564ab07a54.jpg

It's not bad, though a couple edges are a bit rounded. But yours sounds cool -- I might want to reproduce it on my silverbelly.

Thanks ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo