Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can't Make up my mind!!!

ProfCharles

New in Town
I was without a hat for a while and recently purchased a Carbon Fed IV. I sold my Dk Brn Fed IV because it wasn't suitable for my complexion.

I was thinking about getting a Moonstone Fed to wear with my more casual attire, except I'm not too fond of the color, wishing it were a shade darker.

Then I discovered Art Fawcett and now I don't know what to choose.

I only desire 3 or 4 hats. 2 felt hats for colder seasons and 2 panama/straw hats for the warmer seasons, each with 1 for when I'm in Business Casual/Formal attire, 1 for casual.

The price difference between a Fed and VS custom is substantial. I've had a beaver blend hat before and it was nice but I wasn't entirely convinced that the felt differences were worth that much extra in cost.

I can't make up my mind. On the one hand if I'm only going to have 3,4 hats I may as well go all out. But at the same time I'd be more concerned about something happening to my custom. I want to wear the hat not have it wear me. I can always replace a Fed.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, Akubra makes a nice production hat, no doubt about it.

But what will you get with a VS?

1) Conformed fit. Not only is it made to measure, it's made to your headshape (you can also have Art make you a band block which you can use for all your hats to keep them sized). A custom fit hat is a wonderful thing.
2) Higher quality materials. While Akubra hats are nothing to shrug at, the leather Art uses in his sweats is just nicer, and his ribbon collection is more extensive.
3) The felt: While you can get a rabbit hat from Art, most of his hats are beaver felts. Akubras are very durable hats, but generally speaking, beaver is more durable than rabbit or hare. Plus, Art's attention to detail on the pouncing is second to none. Akubra makes a nice hat. Art makes a great hat. Art can also make you a hat with a lightweight felt, or do a special finish (such as his suede or velour finishes)
4) Hat box: Art's hats come in a great hatbox, suitable for longterm storage.

Plus, if moonstone is too light for you, granite may be the grey tone you seek.

carranty

One of the Regulars
I agree with everything jlee said. While considerably more expensive than an Akubra, Art's hats are worth every penny in my opinion.

That said, $385 or so is a lot to shell out on a hat if you haven't figured out what type of hats you're into yet. I experimented with a lot of different styles before I got my first VS, from Tilley cotton hats to wool felts to aussie style fur felts. It wasn't until I got a Campdraft that fedora fever really hit me. It also took me a while to figure out just how to store hats when not on my head so they don't get stained/mis-shaped, at what wind speed I really need to wear something else (contributing to lots of stains) and what crown shape/size and brim size I like. I did all of this by experimenting with Akubras. Its a lot cheaper to experiment with those than with Arts, plus you can usually sell them on ebay if you don't like them without loosing too much money.

That said, if you're set on the Fed IV styling, and want the best fitting hat you've ever worn made from the best fur felt you've ever laid hands on, get yourself a VS and you won't regret it.

P.S. There's a thread dedicated to Art's work that's about 8500 posts long, and as far as I'm aware, not a single one of them is negative!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy