Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canvas and fused: Which is warmer?

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Does the choice of canvassed, half-canvassed or fused make a difference for how warm a jacket is?

The (inner) lining certainly does, doesn't it?

manton

A-List Customer
Niether makes much of a difference. I suppose if a tailor used the heaviest possible canvas, and a thick silk lining, that would appreciably warm the suit. But this is rare. Silk linings are especially rare because they are expensive and don't wear so well.

The obverse, however, is true. With a porous cloth, partially lining the jacket can appreciably cool it down, because the air circulates more easily.

neyus

New in Town
Fused is warmer. It is slightly thicker as it has the canvas and an additional layer to fuse the canvas to the inside of the jacket.

I can feel the difference stitched canvas construction is more flexible, breathes better and looks better.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
neyus said:
Fused is warmer. It is slightly thicker as it has the canvas and an additional layer to fuse the canvas to the inside of the jacket.

I can feel the difference stitched canvas construction is more flexible, breathes better and looks better.

True... it's a noticable difference too, especially when dancing.

Here is a better description for those looking for more input on the subject.
http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000020.html

it has gotten to the point where the glued fusing isn't that bad, though the stitched canvas will always hold my attention for it's less plasticine feel.

Jovan

Suspended
Well it also depends on what brand. Some fused coats I've felt are a bit more acceptable, but yes, still do not hold a candle to hand-stitched canvas.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
manton said:
The obverse, however, is true. With a porous cloth, partially lining the jacket can appreciably cool it down, because the air circulates more easily.

I'm afraid I might have missed that point - do I understand that correctly: Depending on the material used, the jacket is cooler with lining?

Another question is: If the jacket isn't lined, what happens to the inner lining? Just not there? I never thought about this.

Jovan

Suspended
Jackets that are completely unlined have no canvassing either, as far as I know. Any jacket that is partially lined will be cooler than one that is fully lined.

neyus

New in Town
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
I'm afraid I might have missed that point - do I understand that correctly: Depending on the material used, the jacket is cooler with lining?

Another question is: If the jacket isn't lined, what happens to the inner lining? Just not there? I never thought about this.

Perhaps someone should show a picture. Its not if the jacket is not complete lined in a half lined or quarter lined jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot