Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cape Sheep Leather question..

Doug C

Practically Family
What could I expect from Cape Sheep Leather in comparison to, let's say Lamb and goat? Talking feel, thickness, drape, surface texture ...anything.

Doug C

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
I have an Eastman Leather/Levi Vintage jacket in cape sheep. Mine is actually a much heavier/thicker hide than I expected. A bit stiff in the beginning, but it softened pretty quickly. Maybe somewhere between a cowhide and horsehide. Mine also has a lot of surface grain/texture. It's a great hide with a lot of character.

So what are planning on buying?

Doug C

Practically Family
Thanks SW, for the info. I don't want to get this thread moved to the only A-1 discussion thread but that's the jacket I had in mind. I know Cape Sheep was original spec on most of them but I live in North Texas and as you know, it doesn't get all that cold here much...so I'd like the thinnest leather possible. Really, I'd prefer it in Lambskin (I know the durablity issues) but I doubt anyone offers it for an A-1.

Doug C

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
Ha, I hear you! I received mine in March and was only able to wear it once before it got too warm. This winter and fall were so much warmer than I remember. I'm sure hoping to get more use out of it next winter. So what area are you from?

Regarding the hide, are you hard on your jackets? I've had an Indy in lambskin for several years with no problems. Of course I don't go climbing through barb wire either : ) Thought any about goatskin? Tough as all get-out and quite a bit lighter. I think Aero is willing to make their patterns in just about any hide you like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner