Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Captain America

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Ladies and Gentlemen, I am incredibly excited for this film.

From Director Joe Johnston, who gave us Dave Gibbon's wonderfully nostalgic The Rocketeer, comes Captain America: The First Avenger.

The entire film takes place during WWII, so we all should be up in arms to see this film.

Chris Evans stars as the titular hero, and after seeing him being funny and amazingly athletic and heroic in The Losers, I think he can portray Steve Rogers very well.

Hugo Weaving, a wonderful character actor, is the Red Skull, Cap's arch nemesis.

The movie also stars Tommy Lee Jones, and several others I forget. From interviews I've read the film will have a slight steampunk feel, with lots of gadgets aiding Captain America in his adventure through the last great war.

Here is some concept art I scooped from the San Diego comic con coverage:

9490_2366551002.jpg

If the film is half as cool as this picture, I think it will be a hit.

What do you all think?

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I look forward to this as well. In fact, I've been looking forward to a new and better Captain America movie for several years.

- Ian

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
This was the one comic I seriously collected when I was younger. I'm hopeful, in particular for ol' Hugo playing the Red Skull!

But, then again my bar is set low, it can't be worse than the last one?

f_captainamerm_b923e93.jpg

"An American, just when I need help with my English."

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Yes, I remember that film! Oh with the rubber ears on the side of his mask, whew, what a stinker... and Red Skull being Italian? And only being the Red Skull for maybe two minutes!

It'll be better than that, I think.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I do look forward to this one. I presume it'll end with cap being frozen and that will lead to the Avengers film.
I agree that Johnston should be a good director for it.
BTW, it was Dave Stevens that did the Rocketeer comic but Gibbons is also very talented in comics.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Edward

Bartender
Captain america never clicked with me... a bit like Superman, really - just too.... goody-goody. I like my heroes more in the dsarker, anti-hero mould like Batman or wolverine, I suppose. That said, I remember watching the eighties(?) film on TV, and it was actually quite fun. I do like the concept, the 'enhanced human' as opposed to 'magical powers' type of hero. I keep meaning to check out the more recent version of the comic, which I understand are much darker and rather than being old-style, gung-ho stuff instead delve into the murky world of nationalism etc... That to me is much more interesting. Anyhow, I'll most likely check out the new film, if for nothing other than the WW2 setting. I'm a bit of a sucker for that 'diesel punk' (kinda) thing, and very excited by the notion of seeing an entire film set in that era. I do wish they'd do a third film in the Hellboy franchise which stays in the forties and fifties.... Love Hellboy, the whole universe and the charatcer, but I'd love to see more of him in the early years and in that mid twentieth century environment.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Cap was definitely a product of a WW2 America, and while he was tough on Axis enemies, he nonetheless projected the prevailing moral/ethical atmosphere in popular culture.

Part of the fun of CA's "revival" in the sixties (unfroze from the ice) was that he always seemed out of step with the "modern" world. Whether that was intentional with Stan Lee, I don't know.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
We've got incoming!

New photos of Captain America filming have surfaced, take a look at the motorcycle chase scene. Now as a caveat this is a stunt man in a stun uniform so Cap's uniform looks a little cheap, it is, for the stunt man's safety.

But the motorcycles? and that car!

0908-captain-america-05-480x360.jpg

0908-captain-america-03.jpg

0908-captain-america-02-480x720.jpg

b64wtj.jpg

29zexq8.jpg

Doc Average

One of the Regulars

Edward

Bartender
I really like the look of the costume in the stuntman photos above, actually. If that is anything to go by, they're going for the Batman Begins-style of 'realistic' costumes. Some purists will disagree with this, of course, but I have long felt that, when transferring from ink and paper to big screen, it is necessary to recognise that the two are very different media and adapt to what works accordingly. They did this very well in Watchmen, IMO, also the X Men franchise.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Tommy Lee Jones kinda already LOOKS like the Read Skull. :D

And speaking of 'red' I wish they wouldn't mute the color quite so much on Cap's outfit. Brown, White and Blue doesn't have the familiar ring to it that I'm used to.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Tommy Lee Jones? He is in the film, but it's Hugo Weaving who's playing the Red Skull. (V For Vendetta proved he can still act up a storm behind a mask!) Jones is playing the scientist who invents the super soldier serum.

I don't like the costume. If they want to make it more "realistic", fine. But it should be WWII-style realistic, not look like Nolan-Batman-esque modern battle armor. I find it a strange approach, because the classic Kirby Cap costume is one that could actually be done in old-school fabrics and look great.

But then, 60s Marvel readers like me are not the taget audience for this film, today's kids are... and they won't care about the costume.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Strange, from what I hear, this outfit is made for the motorcycle stunt scene. The "hero" outfit will have the same design but made from Era materials. That's what I've heard anyway. We'll see.

Doc Average! Don't you have some vintage garb? Go be an extra! You won't even need to go to wardrobe.

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
Mr Vim said:
Strange, from what I hear, this outfit is made for the motorcycle stunt scene. The "hero" outfit will have the same design but made from Era materials. That's what I've heard anyway. We'll see.

Doc Average! Don't you have some vintage garb? Go be an extra! You won't even need to go to wardrobe.

Oh, I'd love to, and I do have period accurate gear that I would be more than happy to use. I'm assuming that such a big production would already have all the extras they need though? And I've no idea how to approach them to volunteer my services. ;)

There is another production being filmed in the area right now by the BBC, and a couple of weeks ago the call went out through the local vintage/Lindy Hop grapevine for extras with their own '40s/'50s gear. I haven't heard anything about the Captain America shoot though. I'm keeping my ear to the ground, and I'll post any interesting nuggests if I can...

Tiller

Practically Family
Edward said:
I really like the look of the costume in the stuntman photos above, actually. If that is anything to go by, they're going for the Batman Begins-style of 'realistic' costumes. Some purists will disagree with this, of course, but I have long felt that, when transferring from ink and paper to big screen, it is necessary to recognise that the two are very different media and adapt to what works accordingly. They did this very well in Watchmen, IMO, also the X Men franchise.

It looks like the Ultimate Cap to me (which is the one I prefer lol). Personally for me the fun in Cap is that he is out of step with mainstream society, and is an anachronism. That's what made Ultimate Cap fun, he was really a man who seemed to belong in the 40's. He got in fight with guys for being rude to women, stood when a woman left the table, didn't like people swearing all the time, complained about prices, and was shocked that women were naked in movies even though he did pay $20 bucks to see it. lol What made him fun for me is that he had more fun at a World War 2 convention with the men in his generation, then he did going to a nightclub. To me he seems much realer that way, then as the post-modern Cap we have in the mainstream storyline who is always having moral conundrums about this and that.

If Cap was woken up in 2010 from the 1940's he more likely then not would act like a 20 something did in the 1940's, I doubt he would act like a modern 20 something. For me that makes his character rarer and more original. He's basically a pumped up World War 2 solider that was used as propaganda for the Allies. In my opinion when he moves to far beyond that template, it just isn't Cap anymore.

I'm not saying you have to turn him into a 2D paper cut out, but I don't think you should try to turn him into an angst ridden philosophy student either.

Overall as far as what kind of storyline I want to read, I enjoy realistic, but sometimes I just want the guy to fly and punch the giant squid in the face without worrying about the moral arguments for animal rights. Sometimes a good story gets dragged down by messages that the writer places inside a story that doesn't need to be there. Even Alan Moore understands this. Which is why he made the choices he did when he rebooted Supreme. Which he said he did as something of an apology, since now almost every modern comic is dark, and "realistic", and none have the same feel as the classic escapist comics of the silver age.

Tiller

Practically Family
Doctor Strange said:
I don't like the costume. If they want to make it more "realistic", fine. But it should be WWII-style realistic, not look like Nolan-Batman-esque modern battle armor. I find it a strange approach, because the classic Kirby Cap costume is one that could actually be done in old-school fabrics and look great.

The costume I think is based off of The Ultimate Cap's WW2 costume.

074kr.jpg

954094-ultimate_avengers_2_1_super.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo