Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cardigans for casual gentlemen

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yum
Tweed02_8.jpg

sylviasanders

New in Town
Cardigans have always been popular and stylish, particularly when worn of a button shirt and/or tie combination. My preference is patterned cardigans over plain ones, sort of stand out more and make a unique twist in ones outfit.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
The shawl cardigans remind me of the Phil Esterhaus character on Hill Street Blues, who often wore the same one throughout the series, and I always thought he looked great in it! I never knew what it was called, so thank you; now I can maybe find one for the fella!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I don't want to be one to knock against cardigans, but I'm not sure if they're for me. I'll wear a sweater with a crew-neck or v-neck, or a jacket that has a collar or lapels, but I'm not yet used to the idea of wearing a cardigan. I suppose seeing females wearing them ruined them for me, personally, but some look great in them. Steve McQueen and Daniel Craig can both pull them off well, for example, as well as members here.

ssfilez

New in Town
Cardigans will always be loved especially by someone like me who likes classic-looking things. Like some of you, I am also cheering for shawl collar cardigans so I am planning to buy a piece or two in the near future.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I like the style but I'm not sure about the fabric (60% cotton, 30% nylon, 10% wool.)

Feraud

Bartender
I was worried about the fabric content when I ordered. Specifically the majority of the material being cotton. I've had similar garments that fit badly and did not handle the cold weather very well.
If the fit of this garment was odd or felt paper thin I was prepared to send it right back. I was surprised how thick and well it fit and am sorry I didn't get the charcoal too.

carldelo

One Too Many
These two shawl-collar offerings from Paul Frederick are looking pretty good:

All Merino, in an unusual color:
KHE781L_501

Wool and cotton, with some nice texture:
KHE360L_201

lci419

Familiar Face
Picked one of these up off Ebay and I love it. Only paid $35 + $18 shipping. It's made by Ben Sherman and is 100% wool. Also has deep pockets and comes in burgundy and blue.

BVNCKW00B.jpg

BVNCKWD1.jpg

BVNCKWD5.jpg

My only criticisms are that shipping took a month to get here from China, and when I got it, the whole sweater has an "oily" smell. But for $53 I'm not complaining...

lci419

Familiar Face
Ah...I see. Thanks for the article. Fortunately I wasn't buying it because of the brand name, nor do I think it will fail to "perform" because it may or may not be a counterfeit. I've been looking for an affordable, 100% wool, shawl collar cardigan for some time. I don't even know or care what or who Ben Sherman is, it was the style I was interested in. I seriously was contemplating ordering a Magnoli, but they aren't being currently offered, so this is what I came up with.

Back to the article though, perhaps they'll start counterfeiting some of the Japanese repro-wear at a fraction of the cost. :)

Edward

Bartender
Ah...I see. Thanks for the article. Fortunately I wasn't buying it because of the brand name, nor do I think it will fail to "perform" because it may or may not be a counterfeit. I've been looking for an affordable, 100% wool, shawl collar cardigan for some time. I don't even know or care what or who Ben Sherman is, it was the style I was interested in. I seriously was contemplating ordering a Magnoli, but they aren't being currently offered, so this is what I came up with.

Back to the article though, perhaps they'll start counterfeiting some of the Japanese repro-wear at a fraction of the cost. :)

It may well be counterfeit. That said, in my several years of experience with Chinese goods, the better counterfeits (leaving aside any debate over the niceties of intellectual property) are equally as good in quality terms as the 'real thing'. As so many of the official goods are now produced in China, I have begun to suspect that many of the quality counterfeits are actually produced in the same factory, alongside the official products, and find their way onto the market either as additionals (e.g. Ben Sherman ordered 50, the factory produced 100 and sold the extras on the side...), or perhaps they were slight seconds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner