Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cardigans for casual gentlemen

Sloggoth

New in Town
And what about reviving this elegant albeit confortable habit?
th_CardiganTemplar.jpg

If you fancy those, just let it show.
Btw., if anybody knows where to find the one cardigan favoured by Mr. english fashion himself, please let us know...

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I'm very keen on Cowichan/Mary Maxim handknits, and own the 'totem pole', 'bowling pins' and 'square dancers' patterns. They're incredible for winter wear but, unfortunately, tend to attract "Christmas has come early, then?" snidey comments from co-workers (who freeze in their Gap cotton sweaters or naff fleeces).

I recently purchased a lovely black 'letterman' cardigan from Ebay which, once I'd sprayed it with a mix of 50% vinegar/50% water, cool washed it twice and removed the sleeve liners, is now lovely and warm, BO-free and very stylish. It was made in Montana, has a large orange 'F' patch on the front, '56' cheniles on the front, two arm stripes & pocket liners in the same colour, plus 'Bob' chainstitched onto the arm. Whomever Bob was, he'd seemingly never heard of deodorant...

The 'general store' versions of 'mechanic sweaters', 'loop collar sweaters' and 'roll collar cardigans' I've seen here in the UK are very poor quality. The state of menswear available on the average UK 'High Street' is incredibly depressing!

Sloggoth

New in Town
Geesie said:
I'm not sure what's going on in that picture.
An extract from Simon Templar's 'Escape Route' episode (#85). R. Moore is wearing a knitted cardigan with what I believe are suede front panels.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
I like Pringle for cardigans, I have 2 that I bought in Sept and I'm loving them so far. Time will tell how bobble resistant they are, but old Pringle jumpers lasted well.

And If I'm a good boy, Santa might be knitting me a yellow fine knit waistcoat which is effectively a sleeveless cardi isn't it?

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
This is the Cardigan I'm currently wearing. I should be able to post more pictures of the other cardigans I own after Christmas (as some family members should be bringing down some long awaited suits and cardigans from Ohio to my current location)
cardigan.jpg

Sloggoth

New in Town
I very much like front panelled cardigans

Found this one under the tree...

Branded Tundra, from the (late?) Canadian Standard Knitting Ltd, it is made of pure virgin wool and fine leather suede.

Edward

Bartender
Tomasso said:
I like a shawl collar.....

Shoes301.jpg

I rather fancy those myself, both in sb and db style. I've been looking out for a decent option here in the UK; also considering a Magnoli when the pound recovers a bit more against the dollar.

I'd be interested if anyone has or knows where I could find a pattern for a shawl neck cardy, as my mother (who has rediscovered knitting since retiring) has offered to knit me one...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Cardigans are a staple for me. Younger folks call them Old Man Sweaters.

I got a really great light brown one from LL Bean for Christmas. I'm aldo partial to shawl collars.

cptjeff

Practically Family
As a younger man, I'm looking for one. Being up north, I need wool, and being a college student and a cheapskate, I need cheap. I've been periodically searching ebay, but no luck so far.

Saw one on sale in a store the other day new that was a blend, but the tagged small had the sleeves of a small, the chest of a medium and the length of a large. Bleh.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scotrace said:
Cardigans are a staple for me. Younger folks call them Old Man Sweaters.

I got a really great light brown one from LL Bean for Christmas. I'm aldo partial to shawl collars.

My Magnoli Wyoming cardigan came in the mail the other day. I wore it when I went out to eat today & my waitress camplimented me on it. She said it reminded her of her grandfather! :eek: That is the 2nd time I have reminded a young lady my age about her grandfather. The first was when I was wearing Old Spice classic scent. :eusa_doh:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
I'd be interested if anyone has or knows where I could find a pattern for a shawl neck cardy, as my mother (who has rediscovered knitting since retiring) has offered to knit me one...

I just purchased a 1934 book of knitting patterns for men's sweaters (and more), but alas, there's no shawl-collared sweater in it.

It does, in addition to a variety of sweater patterns, include several patterns for scarves (including an evening scarf), four different patterns for socks (including one for bed socks), one for knee caps (not sure what those even are), and a helmet (a knit cap that covers the entire head and neck, save the face).

Edward

Bartender
skyvue said:
I just purchased a 1934 book of knitting patterns for men's sweaters (and more), but alas, there's no shawl-collared sweater in it.

It does, in addition to a variety of sweater patterns, include several patterns for scarves (including an evening scarf), four different patterns for socks (including one for bed socks), one for knee caps (not sure what those even are), and a helmet (a knit cap that covers the entire head and neck, save the face).

You mean like a balaclava?

Sounds like an interesting book, maybe I should start hunting for vintage patterns like that...

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
cptjeff said:
As a younger man, I'm looking for one. Being up north, I need wool, and being a college student and a cheapskate, I need cheap. I've been periodically searching ebay, but no luck so far.

Saw one on sale in a store the other day new that was a blend, but the tagged small had the sleeves of a small, the chest of a medium and the length of a large. Bleh.

I was in the same position you are when I started wearing cardigans. The best way I can say to find some neat cardigans is to start hitting the thrift stores (Goodwill and Salvation Army in particular) pretty hard and pretty regularly cause you will find some good stuff there. Also peruse their suits and top coats. You will find some good London Fog jackets I know thats for sure.

cptjeff

Practically Family
thecardigankid said:
I was in the same position you are when I started wearing cardigans. The best way I can say to find some neat cardigans is to start hitting the thrift stores (Goodwill and Salvation Army in particular) pretty hard and pretty regularly cause you will find some good stuff there. Also peruse their suits and top coats. You will find some good London Fog jackets I know thats for sure.

I've been doing that. Small town though, and small small thrift shop. Lots of great london fog women's coats and lots of larger sizes, and I have yet to see a single cardigan in any size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails