Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Career changes, anyone? Stories, Advice, whatever...

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Anyone out there embarking on, or done (or attempted), a major career change "somewhere around 30?" (generally :) )

I'm just starting one right now (taking night class prerequisites). I.T. -> healthcare (hopefully, P.A., we'll see.) Frankly, even withOut a family to support (other than a parent), it's pretty tough working daytime, struggling to remain an A student in totally new foreign material (anatomy & physiology, biochem etc) & wish you could still Have a Life lol and some folks in my extended family whose opinions I really respect are gently trying to talk me out of it I think (?) maybe they think I'm "going too far" or "overreacting" or something.

My point is, there's 10000% more job security (and the pay Ain't Bad), I'll actually get to work directly with people all day :)D :D :D ), can feel I'm actually doing something worthwhile to help people, and still got over half my life left to go (I hope!).

Guess I'm looking for some words of encouragement (or caution), or peoples' experiences with a change to any kind of career (not just healthcare), stories of friends, whatever. I'm pretty hard headed and I'm going to do this no matter what, I'd just like to get more input of any kind for ideas of things to "take into consideration" along the way.

Thanks
- Cousin Hepcat

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Good for you!

I guess you could say I had some sort of a similar career change. I didn't go to college until I after I turned 30. Finished my bachelor's in History three years ago, and my master's in History last year. Now, at the ripe age of 39, I still have no idea what I want to do for a living.lol Just keeping my eyes open in case some interesting job should come into view. But it's never too late to try new things and go in new directions.

Brad

Rosie

One Too Many
Since you say you don't have a family to support, this is the best time to do something different. I started life as a graphic designer, set dresser, prop mater and now I'm a teacher. I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about getting out of this, (I'm 28). If you're not happy doing what you do (and remember, you have to work 40+ hours a week, that's A LOT of your time) you won't be happy generally. The investment that you are putting in, with going to school, is very small compared to the benefit you will be getting for the rest of your life. Go for it guy, it's way better than thinking, I should have... , if only I would have...for the rest of your life. Just my
2cents3fo.gif

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I think it's important you do something you enjoy. Being in a job that you don't enjoy can affect both your mental and physical health. This past year I've contemplated a career change which is incredibly scary and I applaud you for your proactivity. I'm a teacher (8 years into it) and had my worst year yet this past year. I am giving it one more year (this will be make or break). The main problem has been behavior of the kids and an unsupportive administration when help was seeked. If it's worse this next year, I'll be leaving teaching for a breather or for good and find a new career. But if it's better, I will stay. So do what you enjoy. In nursing, you'll have a new adventure everyday.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
My sister just graduated from medical school at Northwestern in May at the tender age of 48. She was a housewife before that (and a banker before that.) How's that for a career change?

magneto

Practically Family
Another one...

...I offer my congratulations and encouragement on your change...I also stopped working in I.T. (except for a one-off job here or there) to get my B.A. and now am applying to law schools...well, everyone I know who has left I.T. to do something else (from the chef, to the repairman) seems happy and succeeding...perhaps because you have perspective "the second time" and are actively choosing something you really want to do...

For anyone considering a career change, I'd suggest that if at all possible they first schedule themselves a test at the Johnson O'Connor Research Institute. This $500 test changed my life.

They give you two days of aptitude and psychological tests and then evaluate. They can tell you why you are frustrated in your current job and, more importantly, why you may be frustrated in the career you're considering. You really don't want to spend another four years in school to find out you're in another career you can't stand. I've seen this happen first hand.

When considering a career change, you really have to consider ALL the aspects of that career. One may be enamored by the idea of social work, for example, but not consider how their subjective personality can frustrate them in that work. The JOCRF can really prevent everyone from making a very expensive mistake.

Here's the website.

http://www.jocrf.org/.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Filthy

Suspended
Way to go Brad!!

Brad Bowers said:
Good for you!

I guess you could say I had some sort of a similar career change. I didn't go to college until I after I turned 30. Finished my bachelor's in History three years ago, and my master's in History last year. Now, at the ripe age of 39, I still have no idea what I want to do for a living.lol Just keeping my eyes open in case some interesting job should come into view. But it's never too late to try new things and go in new directions.

Brad

Way to go Brad, you're my hero! Halfway home to the big dirt nap and you haven't worked a day in your life! This is my dream! You can't take it with you anyway, I always say! In olden days it would've been considered "unmanly" to be on the government dole this long but now it's not because the country is huge and everyone's doing it anyway! Which is great! So I say do what you do or do what I do as second best - I'm an events planner but i pretty much just phone it in most days and get cocktails at lunch! If they ever catch me I'll go to school again for some BS degree, kill a couple or three more years! Life is too short to sweat the messy details when you don't have too! Besides if you have a hat and a mustache you always look like you must be working someplace!

Fabulously yours!

Robert!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Cousin Hepcat, I admire your courage! And envy your opportunity.

Once you have a family, and have to provide for others, your options shrink to almost zero in a career change scenario. The seniority piles up, the pension can't be gambled with, a child needs medication, etc.

Do this now, or the chance is gone.

I'd LOVE to change careers. But in reality? [huh]

matei

One Too Many
Fair play to those who take the chance and go for a career change. :eusa_clap

It is never too late, you only live once and if you don't risk - you don't win.

Cliches, sure - but they are true.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Cousin H, you keep going! You've taken the first step and that's the most difficult.

At 30 I ended my first marriage (with resultant loss of home), got made redundant, and thought, what the heck! So I took the little bit of redundancy and went from city business to volunteer wildlife conservation. Luck got me a (very, very badly paid job, ie couldn't live on the income) parttime wildlife conservation job, which led to another, and another, and now I have my own business, a new husband that I hope is for keeps, and the best bit was the most amazing 3 or 4 years from 30 onwards when everything was in the air. Sometimes I didn't know where the money for the rent was coming. Sometimes I felt really alone between relationships. I even remember one time when I realised that one of those new jobs wasn't right, and I was still on the high of change so I left, not having anything to go to. That was a bad one. I remember wondering what I had, and what there was to keep going for, and then I grabbed myself by the scruff of the neck (dislocating my shoulder in the process), and went back to the pickmeup I'd been working with since the redundancy - Is anything bad happening to me right now, right this second? (thinks) No. In fact right this second the sun is shining, the tax man doesn't know where I am, so what if I have no money. Stay the course! To horse!!!!

Ok, that is a very badly put together summary of a time that was terrifying, wonderfying, free-ing, and cataclysmic, and what I suppose I'm saying to you Cousin H is - this is your time. Do it. Don't worry about it, and definitely don't make it complicated. Keep your head but let the river pull you to the next place you're going. This will work out as long as you keep in focus (but don't get obsessive). Relax into it. I won't wish you luck because I really don't think you need it. This will happen. :D

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Caledonia said:
Cousin H, you keep going! You've taken the first step and that's the most difficult.

At 30 I ended my first marriage (with resultant loss of home), got made redundant, and thought, what the heck! So I took the little bit of redundancy and went from city business to volunteer wildlife conservation. Luck got me a (very, very badly paid job, ie couldn't live on the income) parttime wildlife conservation job, which led to another, and another, and now I have my own business, a new husband that I hope is for keeps, and the best bit was the most amazing 3 or 4 years from 30 onwards when everything was in the air. Sometimes I didn't know where the money for the rent was coming. Sometimes I felt really alone between relationships. I even remember one time when I realised that one of those new jobs wasn't right, and I was still on the high of change so I left, not having anything to go to. That was a bad one. I remember wondering what I had, and what there was to keep going for, and then I grabbed myself by the scruff of the neck (dislocating my shoulder in the process), and went back to the pickmeup I'd been working with since the redundancy - Is anything bad happening to me right now, right this second? (thinks) No. In fact right this second the sun is shining, the tax man doesn't know where I am, so what if I have no money. Stay the course! To horse!!!!

Ok, that is a very badly put together summary of a time that was terrifying, wonderfying, free-ing, and cataclysmic, and what I suppose I'm saying to you Cousin H is - this is your time. Do it. Don't worry about it, and definitely don't make it complicated. Keep your head but let the river pull you to the next place you're going. This will work out as long as you keep in focus (but don't get obsessive). Relax into it. I won't wish you luck because I really don't think you need it. This will happen. :D

But that's life,...eh? I am often reminded of the song by The Talking Heads,..."Once in a Lifetime".

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
new member said:
Way to go Brad, you're my hero! Halfway home to the big dirt nap and you haven't worked a day in your life! This is my dream! You can't take it with you anyway, I always say! In olden days it would've been considered "unmanly" to be on the government dole this long but now it's not because the country is huge and everyone's doing it anyway!

Umm, I'm trying hard not to be offended, for perhaps you have misunderstood me. I have worked hard most of my life, ever since I had a paper route when I was 12. I worked in various professions until I went back to school, and worked in retail during my early years of college. I did not work the last two and half undergraduate years, but did work for the university during my master's program. I am now currently employed. At only one point in my life, for a period of six weeks, did I collect unemployment, but then, I had paid government insurance for that very reason.

I do not advocate living "on the government dole" unless it is absolutely necessary for survival.

My point in posting is that there is nothing wrong with trying something new in your life and career, no matter when you do it.

Brad

Caledonia

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
But that's life,...eh? I am often reminded of the song by The Talking Heads,..."Once in a Lifetime".

You're right Major Nick. That is life. Cue bit on airy fairy mumbojumbo...... Not sure if it's what you meant, but I'm a great believer in the river (insert whatever metaphor works). You can fight it, and sometimes it should be fought, you can let it take you with it and see where it puts you, you can let it drown you, and sometimes you can lie on the bank and laugh! Ah lol lol lol hah! lol

Filthy

Suspended
Brad Bowers said:
Umm, I'm trying hard not to be offended, for perhaps you have misunderstood me. I have worked hard most of my life, ever since I had a paper route when I was 12. I worked in various professions until I went back to school, and worked in retail during my early years of college. I did not work the last two and half undergraduate years, but did work for the university during my master's program. I am now currently employed. At only one point in my life, for a period of six weeks, did I collect unemployment, but then, I had paid government insurance for that very reason.

I do not advocate living "on the government dole" unless it is absolutely necessary for survival.

My point in posting is that there is nothing wrong with trying something new in your life and career, no matter when you do it.

Brad

My bad Brad! Keep it up!

Fabulously yours!,

Robert!

matei

One Too Many
Cousing Hepcat,

My wife recently changed fields. She basically realised that she wasn't happy where she was, and that life is too short to do something 8 hours a day that you don't like!

She took some time to step back and think, long and hard, about what she liked. From there, she narrowed it down to was practical for us and our lifestyle.

She just got an offer for a position in the field of her choice, and she is very happy with the result. We're waiting for it to be finalised, so no celebrating yet!

It is never too late to start afresh, and sometimes that is the best thing to do.

The actual "stepping back" is probably the most difficult part. One needs to be very honest with themselves, and realistic as well. It isn't a snap decision, and requires some serious research and deliberation. It is worth it in the long run - and who says you can't do it again in the future? ;)

Just one question though...
Cousin Hepcat said:
I'm just starting one right now (taking night class prerequisites). I.T. -> healthcare (hopefully, P.A., we'll see.)
What does P.A. mean?

Barry

Practically Family
I finally changed careers at age 31.

I worked in IT for a number of years and never felt satisfied. Even though my IT career was financially rewarding it was basically unfulfilling. I went to a career counselor - he wrote a great book called "The Pathfinder." After much evaluation I decided to become a librarian and started working as a library technician for one year before I enrolled in library school. I feel much more happy about what I do and I look forward to going to work everday. The change is wonderful. I do a lot of historical research in my present job. Without going into any detail or revealing the agency I work for I basicaly compile extensive research guides for our patrons. These guides are later bound into hardback volumes and will be available to our patrons for years to come. I also answer reference questions and assist patrons with locating information.

Oh, I'll complete my degree next week. Wednesday to be exact. I can't wait!

Barry

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
Well, I'm a little past the 30s. :rolleyes: I quit working for a fortune 100 computer company about 16 months ago and bought a small business. Lots more responsibilities and less pay (for now) but I haven't regretted it one bit. We've got a good customer base that is great to work with.

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy