Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casablanca Suit

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have been researching the hat that Bogart wore in "Casablanca" and in the midst of it, I noticed how nice his suit is. I had never really paid attention to this suit, rather focusing on the white dinner jacket.

Look at the tailoring around the lapels, the shape of the lapels, and how well it drapes. Also, Bogie looked great in high-waisted pants.

I really love this suit. It is a perfect look for this time of year. I may need to find a tailor!

"Casablanca" is full of great summer suits. What do you all think?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Either He Wore His Own Clothes On The Set Or He Wore His Movie Clothes In Real Life.

Hemingway Jones said:

apr_bogartbacall_050620_ssv.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Add me to the list. I've paused and slow-motioned my way through that scene a hundred times trying to get a good look at that whole ensemble.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
in a way there's almost nothing remarkable about that suit at all, and i don't mean that in a negative way. it is your classic 40s everyday man in the street casual suit. almost certainly in tan gabardine.

EVERYONE looks good in high waisted trousers!!!!

That is a fine suit. Good wardrobe, since it's hardly a character you'd expect to see in a flashy suit. Love the repp tie, too. Adds to the man on the street image. And a fine interplay between the tie and the top the dame is wearing; even with the roof of the market stalls; and with the slats on his door in the top photo. Attention to detail is what made this low budget B movie a winner.

Pity about her lampshade ... The only thing about those images that is unbearable.

bk

Wild Root

Gone Home
herringbonekid said:
in a way there's almost nothing remarkable about that suit at all, and i don't mean that in a negative way. it is your classic 40s everyday man in the street casual suit. almost certainly in tan gabardine.

I was just going to say that... I have a suit with the same cut, it's a three piece but, one can wear it with out the vest to achieve the same look. Hemingway Jones, you can PM me your measurements and I'll keep an eye out for AN ORIGINAL for you!!! This style is pretty easy to find, just a simple two button single breasted... trust me sir, a tailor would muff any attempts to nail the look just right. The lapels are especially hard to get right. I'll keep my eyes out for you, heck, I'll make a few phone calls to some buddies of mine... don't get a custom, get the real deal brother! I'll help you!

Baron Kurtz said:
EVERYONE looks good in high waisted trousers!!!!

bk

I couldn't agree more!:D

Feraud

Bartender
herringbonekid said:
I agree. It is great example of an everyday suit! Common yet so elusive to us today..

Btw, H.J. if you are going to get the suit made and need screencaps, let me know. I will screencap the life out of the movie for your reference.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Very nice pick stitching on the lapels... I seem to only like the look on light weight summer suits as it is. Many of the modern suits I see at the higher end stores like Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers Nordstrom's tend to put the pick stitching on their dressier models which makes them look a bit cheaper to me. I prefer the machine stitch look.

That suit in Casablanca pictured above is why I bought the Linejn cotton suit I have from J. Peterman... just looks like a 1940's summer suit with wider lapels.

Plain white shirt and black tie or dark striped tie with a khaki suit and you have the Casablanca look.

Wild Root

Gone Home
The originals have high waisted pants.;) Also, can cost less then a custom... vintage clothing collectors here want double breasted with stripes and unique patterns... this stuff is the kind of suit that sits on the rack for years.

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

=WR=

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wow! So much has happened since I posted this last night! Such interesting reading.

Root, thank you so much, my good man! I will even suspend my aversion to wearing another man's suit! ;)

I am not shy about my size: 44L, 38 X 32 legs.

I love the stitching on those lapels. Against a light suit, they really look sylish, as Matt stated.

Feraud, my friend, thanks for your offer, but a stock Apple iBook G4 does screen grabs. That's how I got the photos above. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou